mobile connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIF

Bit of advice needed from those in the know.

During term time I spend 4 nights a week away from home and I need to be connected in the evenings.

I could put an adsl line into the flat where I'm staying but I've seen the alternative of having a USB mobile connection to put on my laptop.

Does anyone else have this?

If so is it reliable?

Is it cost effective?

any advice greatly appreciated.

Reactions: FIF
If you have a smartphone it's easily done via Internet Sharing, that depends on your usage and data plan though as it tends to eat up a lot of data.

now I'm even more confused.

Off to find out what mifi is.

All I want is to be able to connect to the internet from a flat without a connection a few days during the week especially if there's a midweek match for me to watch (CL). I don't have a smartphone.

So with mifi you buy a card like for a phone?

Any idea how many GB I'd need for normal consumption 16 hrs a week (incl watching a game)?

now I'm even more confused.

Off to find out what mifi is.

All I want is to be able to connect to the internet from a flat without a connection a few days during the week especially if there's a midweek match for me to watch (CL). I don't have a smartphone.

It's really just like the USB dongle that you were considering - except that it doesn't actually plug in to your laptop. You can put it near your window where the mobile reception will be better and then use your laptop's wifi facility to connect to it.

So with mifi you buy a card like for a phone?

Any idea how many GB I'd need for normal consumption 16 hrs a week (incl watching a game)?

Depends on the quality of the stream. It could be over 1GB for a match, or it could be less than 500 MB.

I would suggest measuring your data use while you're at home for a few days, including watching a match, to give you a better idea.

Another question. If I took out a smartphone with 40 gig internet usage it is possible and easy to link my laptop to the smartphone and use the internet on my laptop?

Another question. If I took out a smartphone with 40 gig internet usage it is possible and easy to link my laptop to the smartphone and use the internet on my laptop?

Your phone should be able to create a wifi hotspot.
Not all mobile networks will let you use mobile data in this way though, so you'll need to check before agreeing to a contract.

This is what Swede was suggesting above.

It's very easy. I usually do it directly via Bluetooth but if you're computer doesn't have Bluetooth you can also share your connection as a wifi hotspot as Jeff said.

Which vpn do people recommend?

Is there a real difference between the free and paid services?

I've just started using vpnbook (hola) anyone tried that?

What about for torrent downloading?

Only for Mac devices.

You can download the client for Windows, mac, Linux, ios or android.

If your having difficulty then download and create a free account from the official site and then input the voucher code you are given by shareware on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758