Mot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Han

£442 !!!!!

required:

Both rear shock absorbers
Near side rear trailing arm bush (something to do with suspension)
Few bulbs

Is it me or does this seem a little expensive. they have also suggested that i replace the opposit 'rear trailing arm bush' for another £86.

I feel a bit sick, more or less half the value of my car :icon_cry:.

I hope you told them to feck off?

Dunno, I only touch the bits marked with yellow paint under the bonnet, and then only under Wifey supervision.

Last edited:
Nathan, did you have the car mot'd at a garage or was it done at a mot testing station? I found that when the missus had her first mot at a garage, they tried to rip her off, but afterwards we had the car mot'd at a testing station and they were more lenient, but obviously outlined things that needed urgent attention. This way they stand to make no money from the repairs as they only carry out the mot's. It might be worth taking your car elsewhere for a second opinion, and in future go to somewhere that only does mot's. I can recommend the North Leicester Testing Station on Boston Road.

I had mine done at a garage last month and all they had to do was tighten the handbrake which they didn't charge for. Seeing as the car is nearly 10 years old, they could have easily tried to rip me off by finding non-existant things but they didn't. It contradicts what you have just said NF but then again I suppose we will all have had different experiences with MOT's.

I had mine done at a garage last month and all they had to do was tighten the handbrake which they didn't charge for.
I strongly suspect you had a different car and it was in a different condition to Nathan's.

Last edited:
Nathan, did you have the car mot'd at a garage or was it done at a mot testing station? I found that when the missus had her first mot at a garage, they tried to rip her off, but afterwards we had the car mot'd at a testing station and they were more lenient, but obviously outlined things that needed urgent attention. This way they stand to make no money from the repairs as they only carry out the mot's. It might be worth taking your car elsewhere for a second opinion, and in future go to somewhere that only does mot's. I can recommend the North Leicester Testing Station on Boston Road.

I have done that previously and i agree it is the best option. This time has been more rushed and i didn't want the hassle of finding someone to carry out the repairs in a short space of time. MOT certificate expires on monday!

Last year's mot had a note regarding the rear bush thingy so i kind of expected that to come up but didn't expect anythng else. So i thought going to a garage would make everything easier.

We did warn you not to buy a Rover…….

You didn't go to Formula 1 near South Wigston did you by any chance?

Bulbs - you'd be a fool to pay someone to change them for you!! Few quid and 10 - 15 mins if you aint too sure what you are doing.

Trailing arm bush - depending on car, these can cost anything from £5 - £40 and I'd guess it would be best to change them both at the same time as that is usually the case with any steering part to keep things even on each side.

Rear Shocks - Should definitely be replaced in pairs, and for a pair of stock shocks you should be paying around £70 for both.

Obviously this is guess work as I don't know what car you have but from that quote, it sounds as is they seen you coming a mile off. Well done for not going for it and shopping around as that is always the best thing to do, or get a mate to do it for you for a few pints as that will save loads as most of the cost will be down to labour but you should expect a mechanic to be able to do that in a couple of hours, a morning absolute maximum.

cheers. i'm going to attempt the bulbs as they charge a fiver for each (£8 for headlight!)

speaking to a family friend later to see if he fancies it.

Also, have a look for a forum specific for your car. What is it by the way?

I joined a 306 forum when I got my car and since then I have servcied, changed pads and discs and also put a new rad in. I knew **** all about engines before then but in the short space of time of owning the car and reading the forums, I would be confident of diagnosing pretty much any problem I have with my car.

Definitely have a search for a forum though so then you will find out average prices to pay for the repairs etc.

Last year's mot had a note regarding the rear bush thingy...

You had an advisory re a lower bush a year ago and have not had it looked at since? No wonder people are worrying about the move to only having MOTs every second year.

I strongly suspect you had a different car and it was in a different condition to Nathan's.

I was merely suggesting that not all garages are rip off merchants, but if you want to quote me out of context then please do.

I should advise everyone to go to my dad's place, which is both a workshop and MOT testing station. I worked there for almost two decades (not fixing cars, mind). I may be biased but they're all honest people and not out to rip anybody off. Been in business for 40 years which tells its own story.

It's the petrol station on Great Central Street, close to the Highcross Street/Sanvey Gate junction in Leicester. Get down there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46