MS Office 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melton Fox

Dancing Queen
I'm considering getting this today.

Anybody got it, installed it, using it etc?

Any opinions?

i've been on Excel & Access 07

Excel seemed very nice. very different and slightly disorientating, but only like getting a new phone

Access is very different and all the form design is done is a WYSIWYG type way instead of view/design and they do this strange thing with giving you a blank spreadsheet thing for a new table

you can download free one month test versions from Microsoft...

Cheers DV, I never really do trials and demos. I'll just buy it i think.

I much prefer the Bull-in-a-China-Shop approach to life.

Last edited:
Cheers DV, I never really do trials and demos. I'll just buy it i think.

I much prefer the Bull-in-a-China-Shop approach to life.

i'm like that too, although i prefer in-at-the-deep-end :)

about five years ago i lied and said i was good at Access to get a job, then blagged it once in the job. i'd barely been in it before... soon learnt it!

i'm like that too, although i prefer in-at-the-deep-end :)

about five years ago i lied and said i was good at Access to get a job, then blagged it once in the job. i'd barely been in it before... soon learnt it!
Yep, it's much easier to ask for foregiveness than for permission.

I'm considering getting this today.

Anybody got it, installed it, using it etc?

Any opinions?

Unless you've got money to burn Melts, I'd seriously advise you to try it before you splash out on it.

It's very much a love it or loath it office suit, personally I couldn't stand it, tried it for a week & it drove me f*ckin nuts.

Unless you've got money to burn Melts, I'd seriously advise you to try it before you splash out on it.

It's very much a love it or loath it office suit, personally I couldn't stand it, tried it for a week & it drove me f*ckin nuts.
It's not my money, and the whole of the company work with Office. Much easier if I do too.

I agree with that. It's not the same as previous versions.

Also beware of the fact it uses a new file extension format which means that items created in office 2007 will only work within office 2007. Items created in old office formats are also not immediatley compatible with 2007.

It's not my money, and the whole of the company work with Office. Much easier if I do too.

Kewl.

Don't forget though, as DF has said, Office 2007 has it's own file type .docx, which is incompatable with any other versions of Office so you'd need to make sure everybody in the entire company is using 2007.

Kewl.

Don't forget though, as DF has said, Office 2007 has it's own file type .docx, which is incompatable with any other versions of Office so you'd need to make sure everybody in the entire company is using 2007.
They're not. I might not buy it now. That's ****ing crazy.

Cheers guys.

:102:

Wiki said:
[edit] File formats

Main article: Office Open XML
Microsoft Office uses a new file format, called Office OpenXML, as the default file format. Word documents (without macro extensions) are now saved using a .docx extension rather than the traditional .doc extension. Word 2007 can also save documents in the old format which is compatible with previous versions of Word. In addition, Microsoft has made available a free add-on that lets older Office editions open documents created under the new 2007 format.

You can select .doc as the file type in the 'Save As' dialogue which is a pain in the hole having to select it every time, but I found documents didn't render exactly the same when opened up with older version of Office.

I didn't know that they'd released an add-on for older versions to open .docx so I don't know how well that works.

You can select .doc as the file type in the 'Save As' dialogue which is a pain in the hole having to select it every time, but I found documents didn't render exactly the same when opened up with older version of Office.

I didn't know that they'd released an add-on for older versions to open .docx so I don't know how well that works.

Its been out a while but would anyone actually go to the bother of downloading it to read a document, I wouldnt.

I dont follow.
You questioned why anybody would d/load the add on to allow you to read a word doc created in a previous version of Word.

I responded that if all the docs that were being sent to you (inter company) were made with an earlier version of word (pre 2007) then that is the reason why you'd d/lod the add on.

I have had no problems saving in .doc format and opening them in office 2003 for what it's worth. Also I hated it when I installed it, but am used to it now and quite like it

You questioned why anybody would d/load the add on to allow you to read a word doc created in a previous version of Word.

I responded that if all the docs that were being sent to you (inter company) were made with an earlier version of word (pre 2007) then that is the reason why you'd d/lod the add on.

The add on allows people using old version to read your 2007 documents.

It's the other way around.
Office 2007 can open/save .doc & .docx, the plugin is for older versions of office so that they can read .docx files.

The add on allows people using old version to read your 2007 documents.
OK, didn't realize that. I'll just save everything in 2003 format TB, unless it's personal doc then it's irrelevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263