New ex-players (and managers) thread

I think Pearson is a good signing for a championship club. Is he a silver bullet? Probably not.

I think it was one of those rare circumstances where a club and a manager just work together for us.

Well done them though. Good appointment.

I think NP will still do a good job as a manager in the Championship. Watford were very harsh on him

I have a lot of love for Pearson so hope he does well - but I'm not sure he will be enough to get Bristol City to the Prem from nowhere.

Sure, Joey Barton could get Rovers up through the divisions.

As for Pearson, he’s a busted flush. He’s failed everywhere since leaving us. Even at Watford where the narrative is he would have kept them up but the reality is he was taking them down. We’d quite rightly be a laughing stock if we employed him as manager for any length of time under any circumstances. I’ll always have great respect for him, primarily for the fantastic job he did in getting us of of League One at the first attempt. But in 2021 I don’t see him as a fantastic appointment for any club.
He won more points for Watford than Brendan did for Leicester over the same period.

I have a lot of love for Pearson so hope he does well.
Understandably as he progressed us season upon season.

The lack of respect some of our ungrateful fans have for him is laughable.

As a manager of people and an organisation, he did a great job for us. We got him at his peak. He built the structure and, most importantly, he brought in Steve Walsh who recruited superbly.

NPs just not very good at anything else. Tactically, he was laughable and he is emotionally just not up to managing any more in my view. He's been chucked out by his last four jobs for weird and not so wonderful actions.

Without Walsh, and without the advantages of being a big fish (which we were when he was successful), he fails.

As a manager of people and an organisation, he did a great job for us. We got him at his peak. He built the structure and, most importantly, he brought in Steve Walsh who recruited superbly.

NPs just not very good at anything else. Tactically, he was laughable and he is emotionally just not up to managing any more in my view. He's been chucked out by his last four jobs for weird and not so wonderful actions.

Without Walsh, and without the advantages of being a big fish (which we were when he was successful), he fails.
I actually don't think Walsh was as bigger factor as Craig Shakespeare. Every player I've ever seen refer to Shakey has said how good his training sessions and coaching is. Also look at the significant improvement in Aston Villa this season since he joined them - a lot of their fans are putting that down to CS.

When CS hasn't been by his side, that's when NP seems to struggle. I think that was the case at Derby and in Belgium. At Watford they were reunited and I don't think anyone could suggest that Pearson did a bad job there given where they were when he took over (and what a mess they are as a club in general).

I would say that is more applicable to our current manager rather than NP.

Don't think I've ever seen anyone say he was a bad manager for us, just question of we would have had the success we did if he was still in charge.

It's something we will never know the answer to but I'm pretty sure that we wouldn't have won the league, or be in the position we are now in challenging for a CL spot 2 seasons on the run had he still been in charge now.

We wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for him, but that doesn't mean he would have taken us this high.

He is undoubtedly one of our best managers and it was a great time to be a City Fan after years of crap, however, if he were to be as great as you proclaim him to be, he would have repeated the successes here elsewhere and eclipsed them but that clearly has not happened.

The Shakespeare and Walsh point is well met.

As a package I’m confident they can be successful, individually less so.

Walsh is here locally now with the new MLS team.

The Shakespeare and Walsh point is well met.

As a package I’m confident they can be successful, individually less so.

Walsh is here locally now with the new MLS team.

Yeah, I was coming on to say the same thing.

Steve Walsh was often hailed as the real hero of that success and what came after, but he's also not been a success since leaving us.

It's a strange situation. I think the 3 of them together were the perfect team. Walsh finding the talent, Shakespeare integrating them into the club and training them, and Pearson motivating and driving them. Without each other, they haven't done as well.

Yeah, I was coming on to say the same thing.

Steve Walsh was often hailed as the real hero of that success and what came after, but he's also not been a success since leaving us.

It's a strange situation. I think the 3 of them together were the perfect team. Walsh finding the talent, Shakespeare integrating them into the club and training them, and Pearson motivating and driving them. Without each other, they haven't done as well.

Of the 3 Shakespeare has probably fared best.

It is genuinely mad to think he was hired as our full time manager though. A bonkers decision.

Nigel Pearson did a cracking job at Watford. Not sure why anyone would think otherwise?

The Bristol City job is a massive challenge. They have wealthy owners and a Premier League set up - if he's allowed to build something then it could be a great fit.

Fingers crossed Shaky sees the pull of the west cunry and leaves that lot to join him.

Pearson having an influence already 3-1 up at Boro

Chilwell tearing it up in Europe for Chel.... oh....

... we've had their pants down again, haven't we? :043:

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756