New ex-players (and managers) thread

I never saw Rodney Fern play, I've only seen pictures of him. I always noticed his hair. Those were the days.

I never saw Rodney Fern play, I've only seen pictures of him. I always noticed his hair. Those were the days.

Rodney 'Flicker' Fern - flick to keep hair out of his eyes. Scored a great overhead kick against Birmingham ( I think) at the kop end, first home game of the season, but I can't remember the year. Who else was there?

Rodney 'Flicker' Fern - flick to keep hair out of his eyes. Scored a great overhead kick against Birmingham ( I think) at the kop end, first home game of the season, but I can't remember the year. Who else was there?
1st game of the season after reaching the F.A cup final and being relegated in 1969

I remember it well. Was at the Cup Final the previous year as well. There is a video on Utube of Rodney making his debut against Leeds as a striker alongside my all time hero Frank Large.

1st game of the season after reaching the F.A cup final and being relegated in 1969
As a likkle 9 year old I remember saying to my Dad as we faced up toTony Book and co:- if we lose Dad, will we still be relegated?
My Dad put his hand on my shoulder and said” sorry son, yes we will”
Dad died 7 years later, just 36 years old, but that conversation will be with me until my last breath.

As a likkle 9 year old I remember saying to my Dad as we faced up toTony Book and co:- if we lose Dad, will we still be relegated?
We hadn't actually been relegated by the time of the Cup Final because the league season has been much delayed on account of the appalling weather. We still had six games to go and we weren't actually relegated until the last game of the season, three weeks later at Old Trafford. Even then we had a chance; one-nil up after two minutes but two-one down after five. We went another goal down before David Nish (I think it was) got a late consolation goal. After 90 minutes we were finally down.

My memory of that also includes the assist from Lenny Glover, winning two 50/50 tackles before belting in the cross at pace …

…. and a minute after the goal Brum getting a pen up at the Filbert St end, which Shilts duly saved….

… hysteria abounded. Good start to the season.

My memory of that also includes the assist from Lenny Glover, winning two 50/50 tackles before belting in the cross at pace …

…. and a minute after the goal Brum getting a pen up at the Filbert St end, which Shilts duly saved….

… hysteria abounded. Good start to the season.
Although I remembered it was a very good match - thanks for reminding me of the other highlights !

Ah yes.

The late 60s/ear;y 70s. The only time in history where it was possible to have too much hair & not enough hair all at the same time.

Exemplified by my uncle Colin. A man convinced he was a dead ringer for George Best. A claim disputed by women the length & breadth of the Midlands according to my Dad.

Craig Levein talking about being sacked - but basically he's interviewing others.

Does associate Leicester with being 'great fun' - I assume that's a reference to his (alleged) boozing while he was here, because the football was not fun at all.

1963.jpg

Ok, who's who?

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757