New ex-players (and managers) thread

I don't think that there are many clearer examples of a young man mentally incapable of the lifestyle of a high profile footballer as Drinkwater.

I sympathise with him for a lot. If your brain is damaged, it doesn't matter who you are or what you do. He's made his mistakes in public and that means he's probably had it very tough.

That said, I can't condone some of the decisions he's made or the attitude to his work. He'd probably agree.

If I were advising him, I'd get out of the game and get some professional help until he's in better shape for dealing with the rest of his life. The alternative isn't pretty.
That's one way of looking at it, and if this is the case then I have more sympathy than my post shows.

I can't help but think though that perhaps he is just a bit of an arsehole who didn't know he had it good in spite of many managers giving him the opportunity to turn it around.

Unfortunately, words like complex can mean just that, or are used as an excuse for someone being an arsehole.

Even now, having been to umpteen clubs with numerous managers and more opportunities than perhaps he deserves, he can't see that he has bought it all on himself.

I really worry about him, honestly. We can joke about the trajectory of his career after he left our club, we can criticise (quite rightly) some of the things he’s done, but he’s obviously not just woken up one day and said to himself “hey wouldn’t it be funny if I just **** everything up”. No one person is solely to blame for the path his life has taken since 2017, not Roy Hodgson or any Chelsea coach or DD himself. It isn’t ever that simple. This idea that people are wholly responsible for what happens to them and around them is toxic nonsense and it buries people. I hope he finds his peace.

I really worry about him, honestly. We can joke about the trajectory of his career after he left our club, we can criticise (quite rightly) some of the things he’s done, but he’s obviously not just woken up one day and said to himself “hey wouldn’t it be funny if I just **** everything up”. No one person is solely to blame for the path his life has taken since 2017, not Roy Hodgson or any Chelsea coach or DD himself. It isn’t ever that simple. This idea that people are wholly responsible for what happens to them and around them is toxic nonsense and it buries people. I hope he finds his peace.
Hopefully he hasn't pissed all the money up the wall and he.can get on with life after football, some people say he's had it all.and should man up but he obviously doesn't have a way to deal with life that makes things easy. I'll give a pass to any player that got us a PL

Of course it isn’t that simple. I just think people need to take responsibility for their actions. Again, of course, outside factors can affect this, but taking responsibility and understanding what went wrong and why would have (perhaps) lead to a better outcome for him.

I’ve said something similar on here before. Life isn’t simple.

Claude was sacked in December, but this is how their season ended

I’ve said something similar on here before. Life isn’t simple.
Often times it isn’t. But equally, there are times it is simple, but people chose to say that it’s complicated because that’s an easier excuse than facing up to their own actions.

Steve Howey:

A real north-east miscellany. A bloke who was born in Sunderland who played for Newcastle and sitting there nattering in front of a picture of the town hall in Stockton, my hometown.

A real north-east miscellany. A bloke who was born in Sunderland who played for Newcastle and sitting there nattering in front of a picture of the town hall in Stockton, my hometown.
Lucky bastard avoided that shithole Middlesbrough though.

Lucky bastard avoided that shithole Middlesbrough though.
Most places in the north-east are now immeasurably better than when I lived up there.

LC3320A.jpg

Where are Vicky and Dennis now?

Nice article here about players leaving clubs, a couple of former and one current City player quoted. Dennis Praet says:
“I had no boots, so I did two training sessions and the first game in somebody else’s… I don’t even know whose (boots) they were.”

Nice article here about players leaving clubs, a couple of former and one current City player quoted. Dennis Praet says:

Which club was that at? I'm not paying £1...

A fair few over the years have borrowed sideshow Bob's shoes. Odd as he never actually played for us, he did teach me gcse graphic design though.

Which club was that at? I'm not paying £1...

A fair few over the years have borrowed sideshow Bob's shoes. Odd as he never actually played for us, he did teach me gcse graphic design though.
When Dennis Praet joined Leicester from Sampdoria in the summer of 2019, negotiations were complicated and the deal went through with only an hour to spare on deadline day.

Praet assumed he would be given time to return to Italy to collect his belongings but Brendan Rodgers, Leicester’s manager, had other ideas and wanted the midfielder to train with his new team-mates straight away. “I had no boots, so I did two training sessions and the first game in somebody else’s,” Praet told me in an interview shortly after he signed. “I don’t even know whose (boots) they were.”

Ta. Christ on a bike. Shall we have a fundraiser to buy players some boots. Could explain a lot tbh.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854