New Forum Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
In the next few days I'll be installing new forum software.

I'm doing this because the current forum software (vBulletin 4) is becoming outdated and doesn't work well with mobile devices. The new version of the current software addresses some of the issues but is bloated and expensive, so I've decided to move to a completely different system, Xenforo https://xenforo.com/

As this is a move to a completely different system it will take a lot more work than just an upgrade. In particular the non standard things I've added will take a lot of time to replace. At last count I'd made 35 customisations to the current system, either third party add-ons or modifications I've made myself. I'll try to add as many of those to the new site as possible.

An basic version of the new system will be available within a couple of hours of me closing this site (with all users, posts and PMs imported), but it is likely to be several weeks before everything I need to do has been completed, so please bear with me during this time.

Now the IMPORTANT bit.

A lot of people have their password saved by their browser, or have asked the forum to keep them logged in, so they never need to enter their password. You will need to enter your password on the new site, so it's important that you know what it is. If you can't remember your password the system will be able to send you a password reset email, but this can only happen if the system has the correct email address. So you must have a valid email address in your account before the move to the new system takes place.
You can check the email address we have for you, and change it if necessary, at http://talkingballs.co.uk/profile.php?do=editpassword
A lot of people have old email addresses in their account that they no longer have access to.
If you need to change your email address and you can't remember your password, please send me a PM.

I will be installing Tapatalk on the new site, but you might find you prefer the web version, as it will be much improved. If you want to continue using Tapatalk you will need to set it up again to access the new version of the site.

The new site will have a slightly different url, so you'll need to update your bookmarks etc.

Last edited:
In the next few days I'll be installing new forum software.

I'm doing this because the current forum software (vBulletin 4) is becoming outdated and doesn't work well with mobile devices. The new version of the current software addresses some of the issues but is bloated and expensive, so I've decided to move to a completely different system, Xenforo https://xenforo.com/

As this is a move to a completely different system it will take a lot more work than just an upgrade. In particular the non standard things I've added will take a lot of time to replace. At last count I'd made 35 customisations to the current system, either third party add-ons or modifications I've made myself. I'll try to add as many of those to the new site as possible.

An basic version of the new system will be available within a couple of hours of me closing this site (with all users, posts and PMs imported), but it is likely to be several weeks before everything I need to do has been completed, so please bear with me during this time.

Now the IMPORTANT bit.

A lot of people have their password saved by their browser, or have asked the forum to keep them logged in, so they never need to enter their password. You will need to enter your password on the new site, so it's important that you know what it is. If you can't remember your password the system will be able to send you a password reset email, but this can only happen if the system has the correct email address. So you must have a valid email address in your account before the move to the new system takes place.
You can check the email address we have for you, and change it if necessary, at http://talkingballs.co.uk/profile.php?do=editpassword
A lot of people have old email addresses in their account that they no longer

I will be installing Tapatalk on the new site, but you might find you prefer the web version, as it will be much improved. If you want to continue using Tapatalk you will need to set it up again to access the new version of the site.

The new site will have a slightly different url, so you'll need to update your bookmarks etc.
Shall we say our goodbye's to all those who will not be able to log on? I love you all except some. Thank you for all the good and bad times. Maybe we'll meet on the other side, maybe not.

If you have an invalid email address there, you can send me a PM and I'll change it.

My email address was still valid though not the one I normally use. I changed it to a more up-to-date one, having managed to remember/guess my password.

There's nothing to stop people registering again if they can't access the new site.

Will the new site be available to people in low-lying areas that might not be around for long?

There's nothing to stop people registering again if they can't access the new site.

And this site will still be here for a while after the new site goes live, and I'll be responding to support requests from people who can't access the new site.
Will they be able to register in the shape that we know them? Or will they become new "Borderfoxes"?

Last edited:
Will the new site be available to people in low-lying areas that might not be around for long?

Anyone who has been banned on the current site will still be banned on the new one. Other things I may have done to keep people out may not work.

The new site will be on the same server, so any bans I've set up in the firewall will still be in place. These are mainly blocks of IP address ranges for certain countries where most spam comes from, but have no genuine members. Mainly Eastern Europe and some Asian countries.

This site has its own firewall system that keeps some undesirables out (hackers, scrapers, spambots etc), hopefully there's a similar system available for the new site.

At first it will be easier for spammers to register, until I've got all the anti-spam add-ons installed. But as it will be a new site spammers won't know about it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Thanks Jeff. Can I just place on record my appreciation for everything that you do to maintain and support this site. Reading this thread just makes me realise what I take for granted, but shouldn't.

Thanks Jeff. Can I just place on record my appreciation for everything that you do to maintain and support this site. Reading this thread just makes me realise what I take for granted, but shouldn't.

I'd like to second that motion, much appreciated

I'd like to second that motion, much appreciated

Yep, thirded.

Fifthed.

But as it will be a new site spammers won't know about it shouldn't be an issue anyway.

Unless this site has people who have sent video's of the lewd behaviour on here to their 'outsider' friends, then all sorts of shit will hit the fan if the Sunday Mirror picks up on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263