New Passport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lako42

Just received a new passport and realised it now has a chip. What is it for?

You can get through the airport quicker - when I got back from Crete in September there was a huge queue through passport control and some geek told me that on the far left there is a unstaffed passport control where you just whack your passport on a scanner and it reads the chip, scans you face and let's you through the gate. Excellent! Saved me a good ten minutes and I caught my train in time so saved me another hours wait for the next train.

Will it hold visa info, to confirm that you have a visa granted against your name?

My cousin has a trip booked to america in December and is shitting himself that a minor conviction will be stored on his new passport chip, I think im going to wind the fecker up and tell him they will be able to see it when he goes through in America :icon_lol:

Might even ring customs myself actually, just to give them a heads up.

Will it hold visa info, to confirm that you have a visa granted against your name?

My cousin has a trip booked to america in December and is shitting himself that a minor conviction will be stored on his new passport chip, I think im going to wind the fecker up and tell him they will be able to see it when he goes through in America :icon_lol:

Might even ring customs myself actually, just to give them a heads up.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Passports/Applicationinformation/DG_174159 said:
The chip inside the passport contains information about the holder’s face – such as the distances between eyes, nose, mouth and ears. These details are taken from the passport photograph that you supply. They can then be used to identify the passport-holder. The chip also holds the information that is printed on the personal details page of your passport.

The site also states that you can go to the nearest Passport Office (Peterborough, I believe) and you can scan your passport and see what information is on it. It doesn't mention anything about criminal convictions, although that's not to mean it isn't on there.

Last edited:
There is minimum distance between the eyes. Any less and you are arrested as a terrorist. :icon_wink

Means you are a very bad tempered terrorist .

neachmed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47