Pre Match Newcastle Vs Leicester

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, so your interpretation is that the wingbacks are defenders? Yet in a 3-5-2, when you dominate possession, you effectively have 3 defenders and two additional overlapping wide players (the wing backs).

The system can be whatever you want it to be. If we are under the cosh it can be 5 defenders or altenatively, if we are dominant we only have 3 defenders. A 5 can also become a 4 if you have the right personnel, which we do have.
The flaw with 3-5-2 is that as soon as your team loses the ball you retreat backwards into a 4-4-2, it happens no matter how disciplined your side is.
5-3-2 provides defensive cover but your wing backs have to work twice as hard in both directions, Barnes will not do this, you are then forced to leave out our most inform player.

I suspect BR will go for 4-5-1 and look to squeeze Maddison in, this is a mistake as it nullifies Tielemans I guess we truly are blessed with a strong midfield.

So you think they just sit back and defend and offer no forward assistance?
Did I say that?

They’re defenders who would provide a level of attacking threat. Nowhere near the level of attacking threat of Barnes and Perez/Under.

Did I say that?

They’re defenders who would provide a level of attacking threat. Nowhere near the level of attacking threat of Barnes and Perez/Under.
Nope you didn't say that. My point is that a three offers plenty of attacking threat whilst also giving defensive security. A four can be vulnerable, especially when you are dominating a team.

Nope you didn't say that. My point is that a three offers plenty of attacking threat whilst also giving defensive security. A four can be vulnerable, especially when you are dominating a team.

It works well in the matches we expect to be dominated in, but not against teams like Newcastle who put 11 men behind the ball and are tough to break down.

Going back to it against the worst attacking side in the league would border on insanity.

It works well in the matches we expect to be dominated in, but not against teams like Newcastle who put 11 men behind the ball and are tough to break down.

Going back to it against the worst attacking side in the league would border on insanity.
But I'd also argue that a four is alot easier to counter in these types of games.

The 4231 we use isn't just about having more attacking players, it's also much better for pressing in numbers and winning the ball back high up the pitch, which enables you to dominate a game.

Playing a back 5 means if you press high up, your probably on your own or leaving a space to exploit, which is why you don't normally see teams with this formation pressing high, they will focus on getting back behind the ball.

When we play with a 5 it is sometimes as though we have only one center back, as 2 of them play like full backs so our formation is not really an indication of attacking intent when we have the ball but how brave we want to be in trying to win the ball back when we lose it.

Head-to-head

• Leicester won both league meetings last season, scoring eight goals without reply.
  • The Foxes have won on each of their past four league visits to St James' Park, keeping a clean sheet in three of them.
  • Newcastle are aiming for a 50th league win against Leicester.
Newcastle United

• Newcastle are currently on their longest Premier League winless run this season, with two draws and two defeats.
  • They could fail to score in four successive fixtures in all competitions for the first time in five years.
  • The Magpies have earned five wins and 19 points from 15 games for the second season in a row. They won their 16th league match of 2019-20.
  • Newcastle have lost their first league match of the year in six of the past eight seasons, including a 3-0 home defeat by Leicester in 2020.
  • Callum Wilson has been directly involved in 11 of Newcastle's 17 league goals this season, scoring eight and setting up three.
Leicester City

• Leicester are aiming to go four league matches without defeat for the first time this season.
  • The Foxes have won six of their eight Premier League away games this season, losing just one.
  • Brendan Rodgers' side have been awarded 10 penalties in their 16 league fixtures, twice as many as any other side going into the new year.
  • Leicester haven't lost their opening league game of the year for 12 seasons since a 3-1 defeat at QPR in 2008. They have kept a clean sheet in each of their last five such games.
  • Nine of Jamie Vardy's 11 Premier League goals this campaign have come in away matches.

Referee: Robert Jones.
Assistants: Mark Scholes, Derek Eaton.
Fourth official: Martin Atkinson.
VAR: Lee Mason.
Assistant VAR: Adrian Holmes.

Why? No COVID cases within either club
Yeah fair enough looks like this may go ahead. Guess I was just hearing all the doom around me. Let's hope we're on and City can get 3 points out of this. Although most of my posts in 2020 have been in a state of inebriation and being as it's now 2021 the trend doesn't look to be changing. Here's to me being eternally wrong but perennially optimistic!

Arphexad

Kaamark
Prior
Elliott

Izzet
Parker
Lennon
Guppy

Marshall
Heskey
Claridge

Head-to-head

• Leicester won both league meetings last season, scoring eight goals without reply.
  • The Foxes have won on each of their past four league visits to St James' Park, keeping a clean sheet in three of them.
  • Newcastle are aiming for a 50th league win against Leicester.
Newcastle United

• Newcastle are currently on their longest Premier League winless run this season, with two draws and two defeats.
  • They could fail to score in four successive fixtures in all competitions for the first time in five years.
  • The Magpies have earned five wins and 19 points from 15 games for the second season in a row. They won their 16th league match of 2019-20.
  • Newcastle have lost their first league match of the year in six of the past eight seasons, including a 3-0 home defeat by Leicester in 2020.
  • Callum Wilson has been directly involved in 11 of Newcastle's 17 league goals this season, scoring eight and setting up three.
Leicester City

• Leicester are aiming to go four league matches without defeat for the first time this season.
  • The Foxes have won six of their eight Premier League away games this season, losing just one.
  • Brendan Rodgers' side have been awarded 10 penalties in their 16 league fixtures, twice as many as any other side going into the new year.
  • Leicester haven't lost their opening league game of the year for 12 seasons since a 3-1 defeat at QPR in 2008. They have kept a clean sheet in each of their last five such games.
  • Nine of Jamie Vardy's 11 Premier League goals this campaign have come in away matches.
No mention of Andy Carroll‘s last goal, almost 2 years now and 10 years since he scored for Newcastle.
Brown Nose you need to put some money down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757