Next season expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

Really hard to see how to set expectations for next season .

A very likely scenario for next season is the top four reinforce themselves, and with a proper pre season basically have a top four mini league with each other by the late autumn. If Spurs get a good manager and £100m Kane cash, they should be up there for top six.

Even if we buy 4/5 good players, we could have a good season, probably a slower start than this one, hover round 5th - 8th maybe for the first half of the season. Maybe a cup run or two but could get some bad draws and bad luck.

Given where are financially and with our current squad depth, isn’t that a perfectly acceptable season?

Obviously we want to be top four, but only four teams can actually achieve that. We’ve proved how hard it is.

But how soon would it be “Rodgers out” in that scenario if we’re nowhere near top four by November, given our heightened expectations of the last two years?

The goal will be the same, aim for Europe and hope to crack the Champions League third time lucky whilst improving the squad quality and depth. Starts with a big summer for us but not sure what funds we'd have given the UCL failure and coronavirus shit... We need two or three in just to make up the numbers again from the three retiree's let alone strengthening the squad beyond that. I'd say this summer is going to be more about improving quality over depth because of that...

All about who leaves. I'd be hoping for europe (not champions league, obviously) and a cup challenge if Rodgers, Ndidi and Youri stay. This summer is huge on the outgoing side of things. Hopefully big clubs being a bit more skint than usual helps. I Wouldn't be happy setting expectations until the window SLAMS shut.

I'd like to see us put out youth teams in the league and FA Cup (since we've won them now) and have a good go at the Europa League. As well as being another trophy to add to the cabinet it's also our best chance of qualifying for the champions league next season. With the super league idea put to bed the big six teams will heavily invest to reinforce themselves at the top of domestic football and I just can't see us challenging for the top 4 again.

I really hope we only sell one big player next season and I hope that player is Maddison. Hopefully with those funds as well as the new sponsorship we can expand the squad to cope with more games.

A club of our squad size and player quality cannot compete in the league, domestic cups and European football at the same time so I'd take an early exit in Europe and the league cup, what's the point of injuring players against some shite Moldovan team only to lose league games and end up finishing 9th.
Nah bin the shit Cup games and focus on the league 3rd time lucky.

I think it's quite clear that top 4 just isn't something we'll be achieving without significant investment.

We've won the cup, I want a serious European campaign and if we can do that I'll accept a drop of in league position.

What I don't want to watch is a third capitulation chasing top 4.

We've done **** all in Europe, time to change that.

I think it's quite clear that top 4 just isn't something we'll be achieving without significant investment.

We've won the cup, I want a serious European campaign and if we can do that I'll accept a drop of in league position.

What I don't want to watch is a third capitulation chasing top 4.

We've done **** all in Europe, time to change that.
Largely disagreed with you on things today, but we are in total agreement here.

Europe is the next mountain to conquer.

Ask me again once I see who stays, who goes out and who comes in.

Priority 1 has to be to make sure both Youri and Wilf stay.

We need another CB, we've really been caught out there this season - the fact BR has played players out of position to make do shows you how much he rates our current (shortage of) options.

Soumaré coming in (if it happens) is a great start but hopefully only the start. It's clear we really don't have the depth in the squad to compete over a season with European games.

I don't see us selling a main asset this summer. Mainly because I don't see any sign that one of the big boys is going to be prepared to pay huge money for any of them.

I think it's certain that BR will stay put too so there is some consistency there.

We've lost a lot of players from the wage bill that weren't contributing on the pitch - Morgan, Fuchs, James, Slimani, Gray, Under. I presume Jakupovic will go too.

We need to try to move a bunch of others that aren't contributing too - Ward, Benkovic, Amartey, Praet, Choudhury and Perez can all leave for me and not weaken us one bit.

Our priority is to get our players rested and fit for the start of the season. This year has been dreadful for that and we cannot afford to repeat these mistakes. If someone is carrying an injury then protect them, don't play them. We need 18 quality players who can be trusted so that if Fofana is carrying a dodgy hamstring (today) or Evans (last week) etc. we don't have to play them and pay for it. The player management this season has been appalling.

We need five quality players in. A central defender, a left back, a central midfielder, a right winger and a striker. We also should add Iversen, Sowah and Dewsbury-Hall to the main group.

When the group stage of the EL was beginning, I proposed not even naming Evans and Vardy in the squad. It was roundly laughed at by you lot but I saw what was coming. You can't roll out a small squad more than 50 times in a season and hope to be as strong by the end as at the beginning.

Again next season, we'll have to juggle four competitions. It's fine for the big sides but it just isn't for us. We cannot do it all. So my three point plan for 21/22 is:

1. Bin the League Cup off immediately.
2. Never play a player carrying an injury and balance work/rest/training better.
3. Rotate whenever possible, especially in the EL groups. Aim to be at our strongest later in the season.

Aim to be at our strongest later in the season.
Amen to that.

We've stretched the cloth too thinly this season, largely because we've had to, and it's shown. We've been lucky in some respects; timings of injuries, players being able to switch position, subs stepping up... cripes, who would have thought Nacho would pitch in with the goals he has! And Fofana has performed well ahead of schedule if not expectation.

Today it really showed. No CB replacement, no midfield replacement (bless him, I love Papy, but he doesn't have Wilf's legs) Youri was shot, Maddison wasn't performing... we were out of options, Perez isn't an option, he's a roll of the dice. And I reckon that's been BR's problem this season and why he's had to ask players to play when in an ideal world, he'd be resting them.

Assuming we have the same squad and manager. I'd like to see a defensive coach brought in (mainly to solve our shambolic approach to set pieces) and maybe someone to concentrate on fitness side of things. Marking space at corners hasn't worked for 2 seasons now.

All depends on if we can keep hold of our main assets. Rodgers, Fofana, Youri and Wilf are the most likely of our big guns to be targeted, so if we can keep hold of them and, hopefully, add some quality, that will be a step forwards. Lose any of them and we’re immediately weaker and therefore playing catch-up with ourselves.

All depends on if we can keep hold of our main assets. Rodgers, Fofana, Youri and Wilf are the most likely of our big guns to be targeted, so if we can keep hold of them and, hopefully, add some quality, that will be a step forwards. Lose any of them and we’re immediately weaker and therefore playing catch-up with ourselves.

Keep all of them and get a defensive coach and we could be looking at a better season than this one IMO. Proper squeaky hoop time this transfer window. Hopefully everyone's too skint to poach our best.

Assuming we have the same squad and manager. I'd like to see a defensive coach brought in (mainly to solve our shambolic approach to set pieces) and maybe someone to concentrate on fitness side of things. Marking space at corners hasn't worked for 2 seasons now.

It did work for most of last season. It has been disasterous this year though. BR reckons it is down to availability of key defensive players but we've been vulnerable whatever the personnel.

It's an example of an area we can easily improve. But first they have to accept that there is something wrong. Man marking went out of fashion because players would be singled out to be blocked off which would lead to free headers. With VAR you'd hope that would be less likely to work.

I always prefer to give each player a clear responsibility at set pieces. When we concede there is always more than one player responsible and I don't really get it.

In addition, our attacking set pieces are diabolical. Mainly due to the delivery.

As soon as Fofana went down today I knew we were ****ed. Said to my lad... just watch the set pieces. No surprises what happened next.
Even BR said he was worried with the set piece on his post match interview. I hope he takes that worry seriously enough to mould the player recruitment this summer. We’ve been nothing short of laughable at both ends of the pitch this season.

It did work for most of last season. It has been disasterous this year though. BR reckons it is down to availability of key defensive players but we've been vulnerable whatever the personnel.

It's an example of an area we can easily improve. But first they have to accept that there is something wrong. Man marking went out of fashion because players would be singled out to be blocked off which would lead to free headers. With VAR you'd hope that would be less likely to work.

I always prefer to give each player a clear responsibility at set pieces. When we concede there is always more than one player responsible and I don't really get it.

In addition, our attacking set pieces are diabolical. Mainly due to the delivery.

Aye it's been more a season and a half rather than 2 seasons where crosses just can't be dealt with.

Ryan Bertrand and a team diet of nothing but Imodium will see us top 4 next season.

Next season's priorities are quite simple. Win the Europa League. If we are going to become a real European level team, it takes years of experience to get there. We need to grow slowly into that status. Let's be patient. I am actually quite relaxed that we didn't qualify for the Champions League. We are not yet ready. If we had qualified this year, we would have been seeded in the bottom group. We need to do better than that. I am soooooo looking forward to next season. Who would not have taken 5th place in the league and winning the FA CUP 12 months ago. C'mon you Blues, onwards and Upwards.

A couple of friends who were at the game today told me that it appeared that Youri stayed out on the pitch after the game and they thought he was saying his good byes to the fans.
Not yet signed a new contract...

He's this years big name to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861