Not the nine o'clock news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't you see that you're falling into the exact trap described?

You're angry at largely unimportant things and so not focused on the horrific mess the government are making of our country.
BN I am not angry far from it I am merely highlighting the hypocrisy of what she said. I agree this government has been appalling and the two vying for PM are lacklustre.

for what it is worth I do not think the opposition are up for it, really I would say that Labour present an illusion of being different. nothing changes and the British public can not get past voting for two parties as they believe they are wasting their vote and thus the endless cycle continues.
the reason why MP's take the piss out of us is precisely this conundrum, parliament is rotten to its core, meanwhile journos present to us that they have the inside track when actually they are clueless.

apologies for the tangent back to Maitlis she can not complain about fake news when she does it herself and has done it consistently. I agree with the themes of her lecture however the MSM have brought it upon themselves, from brexit through covid they have tried to control the narrative and any dissenting voices have been slapped down relentlessly.
the public have lost faith in the media and that is why people have turned away.

Whenever I see or hear people talk about MSM I switch off a bit. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it just gives an impression of someone sat looking at YouTube videos made by someone in their parent’s house who’s telling you that the world is flat.
You should read mainstream media, realise it's all biased, even the BBC, and take your own opinion from it.

You should read mainstream media, realise it's all biased, even the BBC, and take your own opinion from it.
I used to work in the post room at the County Council and would take delivery every day of the Morning Star (not to be confused with the Daily), Guardian, Daily Mail, Mirror and many others. I'd spend five minutes flicking through them every morning. I soon realised that they're all utter shite. As you imply, you've got to see the shite for what it is and form your own opinion.

Whenever I see or hear people talk about MSM I switch off a bit. Sorry if that offends anyone, but it just gives an impression of someone sat looking at YouTube videos made by someone in their parent’s house who’s telling you that the world is flat.
MSM was in trouble when the job became far more about generating content with snippy titles than actually reporting news. It was done.

the BBC must show both sides of the coin fairly that ensures integrity.
I know that this has already been discussed, but it's an often quoted claim that's absolute bollocks.

If one side of the debate believes that we should kill all working class people, and the other side of the debate believes that we shouldn't, it's not up to the BBC to invite one person from either side so as to appear impartial. Or to discuss whether we should just kill half of the working class.

That's ****ing deluded, and exactly the reason that we've had a number of racists invited to appear on numerous BBC chat shows.

I know that this has already been discussed, but it's an often quoted claim that's absolute bollocks.

If one side of the debate believes that we should kill all working class people, and the other side of the debate believes that we shouldn't, it's not up to the BBC to invite one person from either side so as to appear impartial. Or to discuss whether we should just kill half of the working class.

That's ****ing deluded, and exactly the reason that we've had a number of racists invited to appear on numerous BBC chat shows.
What is your meaning on the definition of a debate? To imply that the BBC has simply brought on Racists that have advanced the direction this country has taken.

You have gone away from the thrust of her lecture she is acting like she is the victim in all of this, she spent her entire career at the BBC telling great swarths of the country that they were morons, racists and xenophobes, and then had the audacity to play the victim when the Government press team called the BBC to complain about it, I would urge you to watch the Rob Liddle interview (regarding BREXIT) with her where he states " you are doing it again" and she replies "yeh I now".

You can not complain about fake news and then do it yourself and that is exactly what she has done, she is bordering on narcissism, her myopic view on reality is staggering. I as an educated person have the ability to watch an interview with a politician or a panel showing both sides of the coin and arrive at my own decision.

I do not need Maitlis to give me her views I am not interested in her views, I am interested in her ability to dig and put under pressure both sides that are being interviewed she has never done this equally, she heavily weighted her panels and shows that is fake news and she accusing others of doing it.

To stand on that stage and say that she and her colleagues could not discuss or mention BREXIT after we left is lamentable at best especially, when she spent two years broadcasting a one sided or heavily influenced programmes against leaving.

The BBC is supposed to represent the country it simply does not and to state that a government is far right shows how myopic it has become, BOJO is the most left leaning conservative politician I have witnessed, I would actually say he is a Liberal.. It is a race to the bottom time will tell how fast it gets there I would predict around 18 months.

Interesting point about showing 'both' sides of an argument.

I hate that personally. There is no such thing as two sides to most issues. There are several at least.

Simplifying complex issues into two typically extreme perspectives doesn't help me to learn anything. It just produces meaningless and tedious point scoring.

I want an expert to explore an issue in depth and with independence. The BBC are better at this than anyone else which is why they are the most trusted news source in the world.

The BBC have succumbed to the 'two sides' thing much more over recent years but it's a horrible way to inform.

Interesting point about showing 'both' sides of an argument.

I hate that personally. There is no such thing as two sides to most issues. There are several at least.

Simplifying complex issues into two typically extreme perspectives doesn't help me to learn anything. It just produces meaningless and tedious point scoring.

I want an expert to explore an issue in depth and with independence. The BBC are better at this than anyone else which is why they are the most trusted news source in the world.

The BBC have succumbed to the 'two sides' thing much more over recent years but it's a horrible way to inform.
Yep, idiotic approach that gets right on my tits, especially when it’s something like climate change and they’ve invited some YouTube ****wit on to spout a load of utter shit. We’ve tricked the world into thinking all opinions are equal, and they aren’t. Some are ****ing stupid and they need to be treated as such.

There are several things that I do not like about the BBC but one thing that, for me, is very frustrating.

When I was in my early twenties, the BBC seemed to be aiming itself at middle-aged men.
Now I'm a middle-aged man, the BBC seems to be aiming itself at the early twentys. Innit.

Yep, idiotic approach that gets right on my tits, especially when it’s something like climate change and they’ve invited some YouTube ****wit on to spout a load of utter shit. We’ve tricked the world into thinking all opinions are equal, and they aren’t. Some are ****ing stupid and they need to be treated as such.
Totally agree.
How best to polarise literally any issue? Bring on just two people with extreme views. Done.

Totally agree.
How best to polarise literally any issue? Bring on just two people with extreme views. Done.
I guess regularly inviting Genghis Khan on does make the Blairite shadow minister on the opposite sofa seem like an extreme lefty in comparison.

They're not interested in "polarising" people. They're interested in defining the window for acceptable conversation that promotes the interests of those in power in Britain, as any country does. Whether they have 2 opinions on show or 20 won't make any difference. It's already accepted in the public opinion that other countries do this, but it's seen as going into the realm of anti-vax nutters to say it about our own. This kind of arrogance is what is so unattractive about the anglosphere.

I guess regularly inviting Genghis Khan on does make the Blairite shadow minister on the opposite sofa seem like an extreme lefty in comparison.

They're not interested in "polarising" people. They're interested in defining the window for acceptable conversation that promotes the interests of those in power in Britain, as any country does. Whether they have 2 opinions on show or 20 won't make any difference. It's already accepted in the public opinion that other countries do this, but it's seen as going into the realm of anti-vax nutters to say it about our own. This kind of arrogance is what is so unattractive about the anglosphere.
Who do you define as an anti-vax nutter, serious question.

the facts state that their panels were loaded heavily in favour of those with the view point of remain.

Where are these "facts" recorded?

I seem to remember (unelected) Farage being on Question Time every time in 2016

Who do you define as an anti-vax nutter, serious question.
Genuinely sorry that I didn't make it clear - my point was that if you point out the obvious fact that most news sources from our country are basically propaganda, you'll be lumped in with the kind of people who think bill gates is out to inject nanobots into your prostate. A lot of people have this strange arrogant view that only their country is safe from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263