Oi train folk

Status
Not open for further replies.

drummindefender

I'm planning ong going to see some mates in Swansea over New Years, and after doing a quick search on thetrainline i can only find journeys which involve 3 changes and take 5hours and for around 30quid. I know i can do better then that

I want to go on the 30th december and come back on the 2nd January from Leicester-Swansea. I also have a railcard

work your magic....please :)

get an advance sleeper daylight-saving super saver via Lichfield for £53.24

I'm planning ong going to see some mates in Swansea over New Years, and after doing a quick search on thetrainline i can only find journeys which involve 3 changes and take 5hours and for around 30quid. I know i can do better then that

I want to go on the 30th december and come back on the 2nd January from Leicester-Swansea. I also have a railcard

£26.40 (presuming 16-25 Railcard) by travelling out early on 30th and back late on the 2nd.

Outward dep Leicester at 06:43
change at Birmingham New Street and Hereford.
Arrive Swansea at 11:55

Return dep Swansea at 17:55
change at Hereford and Birmingham New Street
Arrive Leicester at 23:18

You may be able to travel cheaper by re-booking part way through the journey but it is very much a case of trial-and-error.

Via London is not an option. It might normally be a bit quicker that way but they are using buses between Bristol Parkway and Newport (no diverted trains via Gloucester as there usually would be). This makes the journey time that way over 2 hours longer.

Last edited:
i wouldnt really fancy travelling that late. Plus i went to swansea before and changed at cardiff-is this not possible anymore?

Try going via a complex route, taking in a series of obscure bus services. It should take no longer than a day either way. You might save five quid.

i wouldnt really fancy travelling that late. Plus i went to swansea before and changed at cardiff-is this not possible anymore?

The line between Gloucester and Newport is closed. The only viable route is via Hereford - this train goes through Cardiff.

Later outward and earlier return trains are £21.10 single (with railcard).

The train you get will go through Cardiff. You could get off it and straight back on again if it makes you happy.

Alternatively he could get off at Cardiff and get on the train an hour later. If your suggestion makes him happy, mine should make him overflow with joy.

But it would be pointless getting them when he can pay on the day and get an off peak return for £39.85.

It would be pointless him getting two of them but he only said that he didn't fancy travelling that late - seemingly no objection to the early outward journey. If he wanted to get a more expensive train in just one direction, the £34.30 total would still beat the off-peak return.

Boc on MSN said:
so shut it , jeffo!

Last edited by a moderator:
Train kids, if I book a journey (ie. to Aldershot) which involves a journey through London using the tube, does my train fare include this?

Secondarily, any other options in stations to go via this route?

Train kids, if I book a journey (ie. to Aldershot) which involves a journey through London using the tube, does my train fare include this?

Secondarily, any other options in stations to go via this route?

It is a bad place to get a train. Take the car. :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47