Olympic venue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox Fan

Villa Park, home of Aston Villa Football Club, has been dropped as one of the venues for the London 2012 football competition, Olympic organisers announced today.
Construction work being planned over the next few years at the Birmingham-based ground means it can no longer "commit fully" to hosting preliminary matches in the Olympic football tournament, said the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (Locog).
Villa Park's withdrawal was a joint decision between Locog and Aston Villa, which now opens up the chance for other Midlands clubs to become London venues, provided they can meet International Olympic Committee rules.
These include that the stadium must be all-seater and have at least 30,000 capacity.
Other football grounds in the region including Coventry City, Birmingham City, Derby County, Leicester City and Nottingham Forest could now be in the running to be an Olympic venue as Locog will seek another Midlands venue.
A Locog spokesman said: "The London 2012 Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games has been working with its selected football venues over the past eight months, progressing and confirming plans across the tournament, and needed firm commitments from all the host stadia.
"It has been agreed with Aston Villa that, because they are unable to make firm commitments to the project, the best course of action is for Villa Park to be withdrawn as an Olympic venue.
"Locog is grateful to Aston Villa for its support to date, and is continuing with its planning in order to deliver a first-class Olympic football tournament. It is looking at options for replacing Villa Park."
Other football grounds hosting the preliminary football rounds are Hampden Park in Glasgow, the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Old Trafford in Manchester, Newcastle's St James' Park and Wembley Stadium.

Would be nice to see the Olympics come to Leicester.

Would be nice to see the Olympics come to Leicester.

Out of those stadia, Derby and Leicester are the biggest. And as there is only 3 years, there isn't time for much expansion of any of them. It would be great if Leicester got it, but I can see it going to Derby.

But you never know. I think if we're making a serious bid for 2018, we should be trying to get this as well.

Out of those stadia, Derby and Leicester are the biggest. And as there is only 3 years, there isn't time for much expansion of any of them. It would be great if Leicester got it, but I can see it going to Derby.

But you never know. I think if we're making a serious bid for 2018, we should be trying to get this as well.

Having hosted the Special Olympics ceremony at the Walkers recently, wouldn't that give us the edge over Derby

Sponsorship shouldn't be a factor as the stadium would just be rebranded for the duration of the tournament. Its the same for the World Cup. In Germany, many of the stadia were sponsored. For example, in 2006 the Allianz Arena was renamed 'FIFA World Cup Stadium Munich'.

Originally Posted by Si Nick View Post
Having hosted the Special Olympics ceremony at the Walkers recently, wouldn't that give us the edge over Derby

As we would be viewed positively in the Olympic's hierarchy

Special Olympics Great Britain isn't part of that hierarchy, so it probably makes no difference. Despite the name, SOGB has no connection with the IOC or the IPC.

And what would we call it if no new sponsor is found? (surely a possibility unless the marketing market improves considerably)

I'm absolutely sure the "marketing market" will improve within the next eight years. If there is going to be no new sponsor after 2017, it'll probably be named "City Stadium" or "Filbery Way Stadium" or something else similar.

I'm absolutely sure the "marketing market" will improve within the next eight years. If there is going to be no new sponsor after 2017, it'll probably be named "City Stadium" or "Filbery Way Stadium" or something else similar.

Exactly. If this recession lasts until 2017 none of us will be watching football anyway.

Exactly. If this recession lasts until 2017 none of us will be watching football anyway.

Obviously it'll be named The Pearson Stadium to celebrate him guiding us to our 7th successive Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup treble!

Which means we have to qualify for the CL this season. Well done to NP if he manages that.

Apparently they make an exception if a team wins every single game in a season, so I don't see it being too much of a problem for Nige :icon_wink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757