On This Day.

44 years ago today, Frank Worthington scored his first goal for England.

His (possibly offside) goal is approx. 16 mins in:

To be onside you have to have two opposing players between you and the goal.
Surely everyone knows that?

The fact that one of them is a goalkeeper is irrelevant. If there are fewer than two opposition players, between the attacker and the goal line, they are in an offside position (not to be confused with being offside). The fact that there is normally a goalkeeper in one of those positions means that people tend to concentrate on the last defender. There could be two defenders (but no goalkeeper) between the attacker and the goal line and the player would therefore be onside, for instance.

That's the last time I let the missus post on my behalf!

The FA didn't. The Premier League did. It's also banned by UEFA.

Just having lines across the pitch makes offside decisions easier.
Both teams play on the same pitch. I don't think this gains as much for the game as it takes away

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

It also helps if you have decent officials too but they don't seem to be in quite so much of a hurry to sort that one out.

One of the best days of my life. Sat next to Steve Walford at the after party. Such a nice chap. Got all the players’ autographs. Apart from Neil Lennon, who looked at me pissed up and said “my mum will do it for me”. “NEIL!!!” she said. Unforgettable day.

A day no-one will forget.
I was at Oulton Park all day and videoed the game on VHS (still have it!). Put the radio on in the car soon as possible to hear the score and raced home to watch the video. I'm smiling now remembering it all.

For what seemed like about five minutes, but was actually about two seconds, the whole world stopped

Until we realised it was in

Then carnage

I live about 4 miles from CP and had to get the train back and look miserable while smiling inside.

Took my wife -her first game and she couldn’t believe the noise when we scored.

Gary Parkers penalty was brilliant too.

Cars or bikes?
Cars.
British Touring Cars in the good old days. I used to go often.
I managed to have a drive around the full circuit that day too.

I live about 4 miles from CP and had to get the train back and look miserable while smiling inside.

Took my wife -her first game and she couldn’t believe the noise when we scored.

Going to Wembley from Cardiff meant a lovely trip on the tube northbound with carriages full of Palace fans. LCFC gear was tucked away nicely. But I’ll never forget the Palace fans bursting into “let’s all laugh at Millwall” who had that season gone from top at New Year to relegation (if I recall)

And the “Super Stevie Claridge” chants all the way down the stairwells in wembley after the match.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757
9Preston 3756
10Middlesbro3854