One to annoy the Forest fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of those films where you know deep down it will be shit but you still hope it won't be.

Shame it's mostly fiction. The book it's based on made him out to be a raving alcoholic ogre.

Not sure what your point is here, Hazz.

Bollocks - read that book literally 2 days ago, wouldn't have bothered if I knew they were bringing out a film based on it!! Would have saved time and effort and just watched the film.

Why would it annoy us, if he was allowed to stay and weave his magic there then we would not have enjoyed his time at the Club. +

Their loss - not ours.....

Not sure what your point is here, Hazz.

The book from which the film is based on is mostly fiction, A very one-sided account and the picture painted of Clough is a monster. His family strongly disapprove of the book and the subsequent film as they believe many will think that the story illustrated in the book and film is the truth (as the book and film have done little to inform the reader/audience about this). The book was written by a guy with no real connection to Clough, he was a 16 year old at the time of Clough's spell at Leeds. It could be interesting if it was written by someone with an inside track to the whole situation. For all the public know it could be a packet of lies. It's just appears to me to be a story which had the Leeds situation added to it for effect.

The writers could have made the film without using the names of all affected. Maybe I just don't agree with the film's origins, nonetheless it could be a very interesting film - it could prove an interesting insight into football from the time but it didn't have to use this original story has an excuse and then add lashings of fiction on top.

Now, 'Awaydays' - a film on 1980's Tranmere ''fans'' looks good. Starring Stephen Graham 'This Is England'.

Last edited:
'Awaydays' - a film on 1980's Tranmere ''fans'' looks good. Starring Stephen Graham 'This Is England'.

Didn't realise this was being made into a film, I read the book a few years ago and it was excellent. A lot better than any of the garbage written on the subject by the likes of John King.

The book from which the film is based on is mostly fiction, A very one-sided account and the picture painted of I would rather see your tits than heres - i is a monster. His family strongly disapprove of the book and the subsequent film ...

As you would fully expect any loyal family to do. You suggest that they wouldn't want him to be seen as a raving, alcoholic ogre - yet you will have seen films of him raving on various subjects, there is little doubt that he was an alcoholic and we can be certain that many people who crossed his path would see him as an ogre. My only doubt might be that all three would have been a fair description as early in his career as his Leeds episode.

The writers could have made the film without using [his name]

Not if they want people to come and watch it, they wouldn't.

I do appreciate your thoughts though. As an ex-Middlesbough fan, I saw Cloughie score 5 against Brighton in my first ever visit to a professional game. I look forward to seeing the film and trying to work out my estimation of the fact/fiction proportions.

The book does actually say its a novel though.

It will be an interesting film.
gotta say that as a die hard City fan I did admire him as a manager, and often wondered where England might have ended up if the FA wasn't full of knobs!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46