Our 25 man squad for season 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albrighton is great in a 442 as he often drives us forward, he rarely wastes possession, and although he might not get the assist he is often involved in the build-up. Also he covers the attacking fullback which particularly if in front of Chilwell is vital. However if we are to play 433 then I agree he doesn't fit.

I can see him evolving into a deep central midfielder, spraying passes, but that doesn't fit our style either.

Albrighton HAS to be in that squad! I agree he's not a regular starter probsbly but he's still such an important squad player, and has a great attitude for that. No matter what role he's given or what he's asked to do, he gets stuck in and does it.

Not all wingers and attacking players can be flair players, and Albrighton brings the work rate in the bucket load.

I did read your comment....you didn’t say “every week”. Quite the opposite.

As for his crossing being useless without a big lump I remain puzzled as to what his role was the year we won the title with Vardy and Shinji playing up front.
we played a very different style of football that season and he was faster than he is now, even then he was picked more for his defensive attributes than attacking

Albrighton HAS to be in that squad! I agree he's not a regular starter probsbly but he's still such an important squad player, and has a great attitude for that. No matter what role he's given or what he's asked to do, he gets stuck in and does it.

Not all wingers and attacking players can be flair players, and Albrighton brings the work rate in the bucket load.
when playing wide in a 433 you either need to have flare or score a shit load, preferably both, Albrighton offers neither

I did read your comment....you didn’t say “every week”. Quite the opposite.

As for his crossing being useless without a big lump I remain puzzled as to what his role was the year we won the title with Vardy and Shinji playing up front.

Yup. Plus his crosses (If you can call them that) to Mahrez created a shitload of space.

Surely there is no real debate that Albrighton is a key member of the match day squad - just not necessarily the first XI. Attitude and hard work does count a lot in a squad. And yes, good crossing that don’t need “a big man up top” to head them in as we proved in 2016.

Surely there is no real debate that Albrighton is a key member of the match day squad - just not necessarily the first XI. Attitude and hard work does count a lot in a squad. And yes, good crossing that don’t need “a big man up top” to head them in as we proved in 2016.
yes all six of the assists he got that season and 2 goals to go with it.

he was vital that season but he wasn't picked for his attacking abilities

Albrighton has spent his whole career being underestimated, whether that's by his boyhood club, several Leicester managers (who always eventually realise their mistake), multiple England managers and now apparently a fair proportion of Leicester fans, who really should know better.

The guy deserves more respect.

The guy deserves more respect.

I think he gets a helluva lot of respect, that's the way I see it anyway. I hear a lot of 'under rated' type remarks, from commentators and fans alike, and it actually makes me wonder who does under rate him. I think it's actually become one of those straw man type statements.

I don't think there's anyone who doesn't praise his work ethic and commitment, and I suspect that sometimes gets translated as some kind of backhanded compliment when it's actually 'what it says on the tin' praise. Nobody thinks he's Messi - cripes, even he doesn't think that - but that's hardly criticism.

Phrases like “work ethic” and “commitment” were used a lot to describe Leicester in the late 90s, and it always seemed like a back-handed compliment then too.

One mans trash is another mans treasure
Two Sunday Roasts at the Bootle Arms, Melling - twelve quid - bargain!

Schmeichel
Ward
Iversen
Pereira, Justin
Fuchs, Chilwell
Morgan, Evans, Dunk, Benkovic, Soyuncu, Amartey
Choudhury, Ndidi, Mendy, Maddison, Tielemans,
Albrighton, Gray, Barnes, Perez
Vardy, Iheanacho, A.N.Other

I think Maguire will go and someone like Dunk will come in
Ghezzal, Diabate, Johnson (loan), King (loan) and Slimani will go.
I think other than that we have quality all over the squad. 2 sets of fullbacks, 2 back up holding midfielders for Ndidi, 2 playmakers, 4 options for our wingers/inside forwards
and 1 glaring opening for a decent striker to challenge Vardy either as a partner or from the bench...

Regarding assists - a lot of them generally indicates a good attacking player, but a lack of them does not indicate a bad one. Football is a far more fluid game than that and goals are scored in an infinity of ways, of which only a few are gorgeous Hollywood passes or crosses. Albrighton's simple, unfussy style has helped enable more flamboyant players to shine, and his attitude is irreproachable, but he has also consistently been an attacking threat for us. He just doesn't show off about it. I think he's great, and as things stand would have him competing with Barnes on the opposite side to Perez.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757