Our 25 man squad for season 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to ship out King and James. They are not going to make the squad next year.
And Silva. And maybe Amartey. And we should probably loan some kids out too. Quite a big squad innit?

I'd be trying to get Amartey a loan to a club where he will nail down a starting spot and see how he progresses he was getting stronger as he went last season up to the injury because he had a settled position.

Some of the talk around Silva earlier was that Monaco were interested but so were other clubs so think he'll leave.

just out of interest, if you all had to choose one of the following player who would you sign?

Daniel Sturridge or Danny Welbeck

I'd be trying to get Amartey a loan to a club where he will nail down a starting spot and see how he progresses he was getting stronger as he went last season up to the injury because he had a settled position.

Some of the talk around Silva earlier was that Monaco were interested but so were other clubs so think he'll leave.

just out of interest, if you all had to choose one of the following player who would you sign?

Daniel Sturridge or Danny Welbeck
Shag Sturridge, marry Welbeck, kill Andy Carroll.

I note that Mendy and Amartey are entering the final year of their contracts.

Neither player gets on the bench for me this season unless there are injuries so I don't think they earn new deals.

Both have a decent value though. They could do a job for a good team. So we shouldn't really be allowing them to leave on free transfers. Shouldn't we be attempting to sell them this summer?

I note that Mendy and Amartey are entering the final year of their contracts.

Neither player gets on the bench for me this season unless there are injuries so I don't think they earn new deals.

Both have a decent value though. They could do a job for a good team. So we shouldn't really be allowing them to leave on free transfers. Shouldn't we be attempting to sell them this summer?

Amartey inexplicably had a juicy new contract handed to him while he was injured.

Amartey inexplicably had a juicy new contract handed to him while he was injured.

That passed me by. So, Amartey is here for time being.

Interesting to see what happens with him. He's not a right back really is he? Despite what Shakespeare kept saying. He's a central defender playing anywhere but central defender. Maybe Rodgers will try him there?

I don't think Amartey is a bad player but he's well down the pecking order now. A loan move could be good for him.

That passed me by. So, Amartey is here for time being.

Interesting to see what happens with him. He's not a right back really is he? Despite what Shakespeare kept saying. He's a central defender playing anywhere but central defender. Maybe Rodgers will try him there?
I think he’d have to be used there when you think we’ve signed the right back from Luton whose name I’ve forgotten. In midfield you would put Ndidi, Choudhury and Mendy ahead of him as a ball winner.

Having said that if Maguire stays he’s got at least 3 centre backs ahead of him in the pecking order and then there’s Soyuncu and Benkovic....

I think because he cost us a few quid and he’s still quite young the club is just protecting itself from losing him on a free. He’s had bad luck with injuries but he’s looking like another scattergun signing from the period just after we won the league.

His flexibility might give him an advantage in getting on the bench.

He’s had bad luck with injuries but he’s looking like another scattergun signing from the period just after we won the league.
We signed him before we won the league.

We signed him before we won the league.
Oh yeah so we did, I remember him playing at right back in the home game against Norwich.

And I’d argue we did sign after we won the league because we had that baby in the bag by Christmas :cool:

46 appearances in 3.5 seasons. We have no idea what position he should be playing. He will hardly make the bench next season.

I’m sure we’re actively looking to sell him. I’d like to hope so anyway.

I don't see a role for Amartey at cb, it's a position where we're well covered. I'm not even sure what his preferred position is. Yes, he played at cb at Afcon (and was named in that position for team of the tournament I believe) but I'm pretty sure we brought him in as a defensive midfielder.

That we've used him at rb was circumstance more than anything else and Amartey has kinda grown into that role but, as I said, I'm not sure that's his natural position. Maybe he's destined to become our defensive utility player, who knows, or moved on either on loan or sold.

Sadly, I don't us hanging on to him... simply because we haven't worked out (as yet) where he fits. Tbh, I do like the look of him - a little lacking in confidence perhaps but certainly willing and with potential. However, if we need to offload players then I can see him being on that list.

I think he needs to go out on loan somewhere he's going to play 40 games next season.
I don't think he's dynamic enough to be a right back in our current setup. I don't think he's good enough on the ball for midfield. Centerback could be his position, but he's not going to play that here.

Loan move definitely sensible.

Needs games at this stage of his career.

Good player, I reckon. But hard to see him breaking through here.

Amartey is not good enough. Full stop. He's never been convincing as a defender, he has moments of utter brainless madness of the Benny variety and he isn't agile or skilful enough to play in midfield. When compared to our other options he's completely surplus to requirements.

Still, we go through this every transfer window with people banging on and on about how we need to trim down the squad, sell players, loan players etc... And every year it's the same; there will be very few suitors if any for most of them based on their expensive wages or their lack of talent. We will have a few guys at the club training without a squad number next year and picking up a hefty salary for doing very little, we just need to suck that up for a couple of years until we can get rid without it costing as much as a new player or three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757