Our 25 man squad for season 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
And it's not set in stone. It can be changed, with the permission of the league. So if we sell someone in the 25 man squad presumably we'd have no problem giving someone else their place.

And we wouldn't necessarily name a full list of 25. If the likes of James and King aren't going to play, we could leave slots open to give us the chance to sign free agents.

So we don't know if the above list is the actual list or not?

Shows how shit Brendan thinks Ghezzal is. Embarrassing recruitment mistake that, has never looked like cutting it at this level. And the fact that we were still in the market for that kind of winger (inside forward kinda role), didn't sign one and yet Ghezzal still can't get in the squad says a lot.

Hopefully we can ship him back to France before the window shuts because I genuinely dont even think he's good enough to go on loan to the Championship. Problem is going to be wages as I suspect the clubs in France he would be good enough for wouldn't be able to match whatever wages we gave him

So we don't know if the above list is the actual list or not?

Shows how shit Brendan thinks Ghezzal is. Embarrassing recruitment mistake that, has never looked like cutting it at this level. And the fact that we were still in the market for that kind of winger (inside forward kinda role), didn't sign one and yet Ghezzal still can't get in the squad says a lot.

Hopefully we can ship him back to France before the window shuts because I genuinely dont even think he's good enough to go on loan to the Championship. Problem is going to be wages as I suspect the clubs in France he would be good enough for wouldn't be able to match whatever wages we gave him
Yet James Maddison said the Ghezzal is the most technically gifted player in the squad.

Yet James Maddison said the Ghezzal is the most technically gifted player in the squad.

Without knowing the context for this, I'd assume he could've only said that in response to a direct question about Ghezzal

Or he was taking the piss

Or maybe he's not been terribly well managed and needed time to adapt. I did think there were some signs of a good player on the couple of occasions he was played as a second striker, would certainly want Brendan to have a good look at him

Without knowing the context for this, I'd assume he could've only said that in response to a direct question about Ghezzal

Or he was taking the piss
No, he was asked who is the most skillful player in the squad and his response was Rachid.

Maybe he can do the most keepie-uppies? Skillful, yes, but maybe not much use for unlocking a massed defence. And Ghezzal is not the quickest player I've ever seen.

Interesting quote from BR yesterday that he's working with a squad of 20 - presumably this is the 18 against Wolves plus Benkovic and Gray. He made it pretty clear that any senior pro not in that group have been told to find a new club.

I see this as a really strong and positive move from him. Ever since we bloated the squad after winning the league, because we needed extra bodies for european football, we've been stuck with far too many players.

There really is no need for any more than 20 for 38 league games and a few cup ties. It should also give a signal to the U23s that there is a realistic route to the first team.

This leaves the following that have a couple of weeks to find a new club, on loan or permanently:

Amartey / Jakupovic / Mendy / James / Silva / Diabate / Ghezzal / Slimani

There is nothing to be missed by these all leaving. One or two notable players have contributed a bit here and there, but not one of these players are good enough for us. We've moved on. The wages we're chucking away on this group alone is far more than we'll take in gate receipts all season.

We also have Hughes / Thomas / Kapustka / Uche that qualify for the U23s but would have to be registered to play for the first team. All four of these are failed signings too and sticking around would only be preventing someone younger from a place in the U23s. Maybe a move to OHL in Belgium could benefit some of these?

You'd expect no takers for James and Kapustka due to their injury status but we've got to hope that most of the rest go.

but not one of these players are good enough for us. We've moved on.

Ain't that the truth. Seems incredible to be even saying that. It wasn't that long ago when we'd have been delighted with the contributions these guys could make. I mean, Mendy and Silva not good enough for us? Wow. How times have changed.

Ain't that the truth. Seems incredible to be even saying that. It wasn't that long ago when we'd have been delighted with the contributions these guys could make. I mean, Mendy and Silva not good enough for us? Wow. How times have changed.
Just a few years ago we were reliant on Hammond and GTF in midfield against tomorrow’s opponents !

Interesting quote from BR yesterday that he's working with a squad of 20 - presumably this is the 18 against Wolves plus Benkovic and Gray. He made it pretty clear that any senior pro not in that group have been told to find a new club.

I see this as a really strong and positive move from him. Ever since we bloated the squad after winning the league, because we needed extra bodies for european football, we've been stuck with far too many players.

There really is no need for any more than 20 for 38 league games and a few cup ties. It should also give a signal to the U23s that there is a realistic route to the first team.

This leaves the following that have a couple of weeks to find a new club, on loan or permanently:

Amartey / Jakupovic / Mendy / James / Silva / Diabate / Ghezzal / Slimani

There is nothing to be missed by these all leaving. One or two notable players have contributed a bit here and there, but not one of these players are good enough for us. We've moved on. The wages we're chucking away on this group alone is far more than we'll take in gate receipts all season.

We also have Hughes / Thomas / Kapustka / Uche that qualify for the U23s but would have to be registered to play for the first team. All four of these are failed signings too and sticking around would only be preventing someone younger from a place in the U23s. Maybe a move to OHL in Belgium could benefit some of these?

You'd expect no takers for James and Kapustka due to their injury status but we've got to hope that most of the rest go.
I think he will name Ghezzal and Silva in his squad. Neither are good enough you're correct but I just have a feeling both of these will feature.

yes but if he can't we may as well name him in the 25

Worst case scenario for the club is him going back to Sporting Lisbon. Due to the ridiculous deals done for Silva and Slimani, we're not allowed to sell either player to another Portuguese side, but Lisbon would take Silva and maybe both. They'd just be awful deals for us and we're rightly not keen on doing business with them again.

However, if it's a choice between sitting around here doing feck all, or going to Lisbon, we'll let them go there.

Absolutely no chance that either player will ever play for us again. Silva has already sold his house in Leicester.

Worst case scenario for the club is him going back to Sporting Lisbon. Due to the ridiculous deals done for Silva and Slimani, we're not allowed to sell either player to another Portuguese side, but Lisbon would take Silva and maybe both. They'd just be awful deals for us and we're rightly not keen on doing business with them again.

However, if it's a choice between sitting around here doing feck all, or going to Lisbon, we'll let them go there.

Absolutely no chance that either player will ever play for us again. Silva has already sold his house in Leicester.
they couldn't afford the wages for either so any move back there would be a loan, Slimani like King though is out of contract after this season I believe

Schmeichel / Ward / Ricardo / Amartey / Evans / Soyuncu / Morgan / Benkovic / Chilwell / Fuchs / Ndidi / Choudhury / Tielemans / Albrighton / Maddison / Barnes / Perez / Gray / Vardy / Iheanacho / Praet
Jakupovic / Hughes / Mendy / James / Thomas / Kapustka / Diabate / Ghezzal / Uche

30 O21s remain. 5 cannot be registered.

Rodgers has spoken positively about Amartey and James and it appears that they are both likely to stay.

Ghezzal, Diabate and Mendy have been given notice to be on their way out over the coming days. Uche has disappeared. Kapustka is long term injured.

The City fire sale remains in full swing. Get your cast-offs here. Loans welcomed. We'll pay their wages, just get them out of the place 'cos they're stinking it up.

Schmeichel / Ward / Ricardo / Amartey / Evans / Soyuncu / Morgan / Benkovic / Chilwell / Fuchs / Ndidi / Choudhury / Tielemans / Albrighton / Maddison / Barnes / Perez / Gray / Vardy / Iheanacho / Praet
Jakupovic / Mendy / James
/ Thomas / Kapustka / Diabate / Uche

Unless there are some windows remaining open somewhere, it looks like we're left with the above list of 28.

Ghezzal was confirmed by Sampdoria last night and Hughes joined Salford. Diabate was expected to go but doesn't look like he did. It doesn't appear that anyone went to OHL this year which is a surprise.

That leaves 24 players (in bold) all highly likely to be named in our final 25 man squad with one place available for the remaining four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757