Our bloated squad is damaging us

Status
Not open for further replies.
To expect us to make premier league footballers from everyone who comes through the ranks is preposterous.

In addition, the England U18, U19 .. U23 squads are quite large aren't they?
It's inevitable that considering there's a 25 man England squad made up of 10 + years of people who may or may not have played in the England youth setup, in addition to the limited number of English players in the PL... What are the statistical chances of being part of England U18/9..23 AND then becoming an established PL player?

I'd have thought less than 5% do. Which put us above average, surely?
my point is that we are not running the development system as efficiently as we could be and getting hte fees we could do for players that do not make the grade, the academy should be quite self sufficient in that fees for selling players to lower league sides should add up to quite a tidy sum but because of how we do it we end up releasing most at 22/23 and they have barely played a senior game as we never loaned them out.

Loaning players is a very important thing for their development and even if they won't make it here it will give scouts of other clubs chances to watch them and decide to buy them, just as we did the Ritchie de Laet, Matty James and Danny Drinkwater from Man Utd.

my point is that we are not running the development system as efficiently as we could be and getting hte fees we could do for players that do not make the grade, the academy should be quite self sufficient in that fees for selling players to lower league sides should add up to quite a tidy sum but because of how we do it we end up releasing most at 22/23 and they have barely played a senior game as we never loaned them out.

Loaning players is a very important thing for their development and even if they won't make it here it will give scouts of other clubs chances to watch them and decide to buy them, just as we did the Ritchie de Laet, Matty James and Danny Drinkwater from Man Utd.
Maybe they're not good enough at that age to demand a fee or go out on loan?

Maybe they're not good enough at that age to demand a fee or go out on loan?
from what people that keep a very close eye on it have said elsewhere its more down to Beaglehole wanting to win PL2, which isn't the point of the academy system, its a nice cherry on top. As others on here have said the average age of our U23 side is much older than other clubs most of our best u18s are stuck at that level because older players above them are blocking the way, players who should either be out on loan or no longer at the club.

The new training ground and Trevor Peake retiring should be the start of a review of the development system but i would start by appointing a new academy director, Jon Rudkin still holds that title and I firmly believe it needs to be a separate role as the DoF has other duties that take precedent.

Good post, I would like to see more opportunities given to our development squad, for me the lad Hirst should have at least featured on the bench this season as should many others.
You do not know until they are exposed and the current system does not do that. Perhaps the wages are too good but if it were me I would be asking to move so I get some first team football. If you move and make it you can stick two fingers up at the manager who bottled it with you.

Good post, I would like to see more opportunities given to our development squad, for me the lad Hirst should have at least featured on the bench this season as should many others.
You do not know until they are exposed and the current system does not do that. Perhaps the wages are too good but if it were me I would be asking to move so I get some first team football. If you move and make it you can stick two fingers up at the manager who bottled it with you.
if someone is 22 here and not in the first team squad then they shouldn't be here, they should have been released as they haven't made the grade, if they are a Knight or an Iversen out on loan progressing up the leagues that's a different matter.

if someone is 22 here and not in the first team squad then they shouldn't be here, they should have been released as they haven't made the grade, if they are a Knight or an Iversen out on loan progressing up the leagues that's a different matter.
If they are 22 and came through the ranks then you wouldn't expect them to leave for nothing. They've had years worth of coaching that needs to be paid for.

If they are 22 and came through the ranks then you wouldn't expect them to leave for nothing. They've had years worth of coaching that needs to be paid for.
If they aren’t good enough and we haven’t loaned them out why would anyone pay a fee for them?

If they aren’t good enough and we haven’t loaned them out why would anyone pay a fee for them?
...seriously?
You... must be aware that there are lots of other leagues in the footballing pyramid. We’ve actually been in two of them?

...seriously?
You... must be aware that there are lots of other leagues in the footballing pyramid. We’ve actually been in two of them?
There are more players than available slots in squads. A limited number of those squads will be looking to sign a player in a given position, and may decide to sign someone with experience over someone who has never played a first team game.

There are lots of unemployed professional footballers. Even a lot of seasoned professionals, so it's going to be very difficult for a young player with no experience to get a job.

Gyamfi announced that he's rejected contract from City and will leave tomorrow. He's been training with the first team and he's a right back.

Highly rated too. Another one gone so we can keep a load of oldies here.

he presumably doesn't see a pathway to first team football ahead of Ricardo and Justin, shame someone as highly rated as him is coming through in a position where we have strength

Never heard of him. But if he doesn’t back himself to be able to get in the team ahead of Ricardo or Justin, then see you later.

Barnes and Chilwell are evidence that if you’re good enough you’ll get in the team.

Brendan has a rep for promoting youth but hasn't done it with us yet, Barnes, Chilwell and Choudhury all pre date him, Dewsbury-Hall got a debut but it will be interesting to see what happens with him and Knight next season

Keep
Kasper
Justin
Chilwell
Soyuncu
Evans
Tielemans
Vardy
Maddison
Ward
Iheanacho
Barnes
Perez
Choudhury
Ricardo
Ndidi
Praet
Fuchs
Jakupovic

Not Sure
Morgan
Benkovic
Amartey - definitely loan out at least
Bennett

Get Rid
Gray
Albrighton
Slimani

James
Silva
Mendy
Diabate
Ghezzal

Get rid:

GHEZZAL
DIABATE
AMARTEH
MENDY
SLIMANI
SILVA
GRAY
MATTY JAMES

I'd also get rid of Chilwell if we had a big offer. And even Madders if we got a HUGE offer.

I miss Mahrez.

Demarai has been one of our better performers of late.
which I hope will up his price, I have been one of his biggest fans but he simply hasn't developed as we need to, he will only have 1 year left so its sell or renew time

which I hope will up his price, I have been one of his biggest fans but he simply hasn't developed as we need to, he will only have 1 year left so its sell or renew time
It's been FOUR years since we signed him.

He is literally the definition of dead wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757