Our bloated squad is damaging us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at Chelsea's squad is makjng me jealous. They look phenomenal on paper. It looks like they're going for the league next season and so it's no wonder Chilwell went. The chance to play alongside Thiago Silva as well? I wonder if they'd consider lending someone from thejr bloated squad. Maybe Hudson-Odoi

Tbh, I really don't get what's happening at Chelsea. It doesn't seem quite right to me (not that I know the regs etc) They've got their cheque book open for seemingly endless funds without limitation.

It seems as though their transfer ban of whenever (or whatever it was/wasn't) wasn't really a ban at all but rather a period that has enabled them to 'save up' signings; those they couldn't make then they can make now. I'm sure it is all above board and legit (notionally anyway, in as much as these things don't seem to be) and if I had the time, motivation and inclination then I might research it (truth is, I can't be arsed) but that is one helluva squad rebuild going on there. Hopefully we can compete on the pitch even if we can't match their spending.

Tbh, I really don't get what's happening at Chelsea. It doesn't seem quite right to me (not that I know the regs etc) They've got their cheque book open for seemingly endless funds without limitation.

It seems as though their transfer ban of whenever (or whatever it was/wasn't) wasn't really a ban at all but rather a period that has enabled them to 'save up' signings; those they couldn't make then they can make now. I'm sure it is all above board and legit (notionally anyway, in as much as these things don't seem to be) and if I had the time, motivation and inclination then I might research it (truth is, I can't be arsed) but that is one helluva squad rebuild going on there. Hopefully we can compete on the pitch even if we can't match their spending.

It's gonna be tough to compete with them in my opinion. I'm not sure about Lampard as manager, and you can never quite tell how these legend-managers do. Dalglish was phenomenal at Liverpool the 1st time round, OGS is taking his time at Man Utd and it's a helluva rebuild, whereas Shearer was toss during his very short time at Newcastle.

Yes, there's the whole aspect of these new players settling in and adapting to the PL, but on the off-chance that Havertz, Werner and Ziyech hit it off straight away then they could be deadly. Also there's so much strength in depth. I guess their defence is their weakest link, but even then they've got strength in depth and Thiago Silva is a genius signing imo.

We need more income as a club to be able to compete which requires us getting to Europe consistently and investing in the club regularly. The outstanding training complex should help, as will our recent PL win, subsequent CL season, this season in the Europe League etc. Though I wonder what we do to further the brand.

I guess with all these useless players we have on the books, we're never going to be able to move forward.

The spending they’re doing is immense. I have a chelsea fan friend and he said “don’t forget we sold Hazard” but it still seems crazy that they can do what they’re doing. Then I looked at the income statements and there’s no question - as BN has stated many times - the gap to the top six is just beyond comprehension. We’re playing a totally different game.

Chelsea are nothing special.

They scored plenty last season and have spent a fortune for what? A handful more goals?

They were awful defensively last season and they've not improved that part of the team at all. Silva and Chilwell won't stop goals. A proper central defender and a quality keeper was what they needed and they've done neither.

They've also got Lampard as manager who remains utterly unqualified for the job and has shown nothing to suggest to me that he's any good. Last season was their lowest points return since our title season.

Just like last season, I don't see Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs getting back to their best levels. They are all still vulnerable.

Yep. About triple our current revenue if what I’ve read is correct.

Yep. It's such a huge gulf. It's like it's rigged. In the modern game, I find it difficult to comprehend how any club without an owner who pumps hundreds of millions/billions in or an existing giant who has a massive number of supporters and tonnes of history from when it was easier, could compete.

They scored plenty last season and have spent a fortune for what? A handful more goals?

They were awful defensively last season and they've not improved that part of the team at all. Silva and Chilwell won't stop goals. A proper central defender and a quality keeper was what they needed and they've done neither.

They've also got Lampard as manager who remains utterly unqualified for the job and has shown nothing to suggest to me that he's any good. Last season was their lowest points return since our title season.

Just like last season, I don't see Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs getting back to their best levels. They are all still vulnerable.

I was waiting for your usual "they're bollocks" comment haha.

Just like last season, I don't see Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal or Spurs
Yep. It's such a huge gulf. It's like it's rigged. In the modern game, I find it difficult to comprehend how any club without an owner who pumps hundreds of millions/billions in or an existing giant who has a massive number of supporters and tonnes of history from when it was easier, could compete.

I was waiting for your usual "they're bollocks" comment haha.
Even with a super rich owner, FFP means that you basically... can’t

Is there any sort of apprenticeship within the academy? NVQs, sports science ?? How much is the academy costing? I recall a QPR season ticket holder bemoaning that academy players were on £1k/wk, before their demise. How many players can be registered to play in a match day squad across the 4 top English leagues?Are we an elite academy now, and if so how does that benefit the trainee?

‘We have the top academy rating’

‘How do they work that out?’

‘They assess it’

:icon lol:

‘We have the top academy rating’

‘How do they work that out?’

‘They assess it’

:icon lol:
Well how the **** do you think they grade them?, there are certain things you have to have in place to get the top rating and they check, lose top rating you can lose your best young players for peanuts to top graded academies

Well how the **** do you think they grade them?, there are certain things you have to have in place to get the top rating and they check, lose top rating you can lose your best young players for peanuts to top graded academies
Right I’ll make a note not to try and have a joke with you again....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757