Our bloated squad is damaging us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of people on twitter seem to be getting excited that Slimani is in the photos of training and seem quite happy he might be given another go.

Either that or we’re just trying to keep him fit since we’re paying him a fortune every week

Lots of people on twitter seem to be getting excited that Slimani is in the photos of training and seem quite happy he might be given another go.

Either that or we’re just trying to keep him fit since we’re paying him a fortune every week

We didn't do well without crowds (being nice to Ted here) Maybe his miserable **** attitude is what the players have missed and he'll get them going?

If Slimani is playing well in training and fitting in this time round then I’m all for giving him another go. We can’t see what goes on behind closed doors. His record for us is not great but neither was Nacho’s ...

If Slimani is playing well in training and fitting in this time round then I’m all for giving him another go. We can’t see what goes on behind closed doors. His record for us is not great but neither was Nacho’s ...
Agreed, so long as he is here he is a better option up front after Vardy than pretty much anyone else we have, I'd still sell if we get a decent offer though

If he isn’t yet and move and his contract is still running, why wouldn’t he be here training? I call this noise, not news.
he'll be training but might not be training with the first team squad, that's not uncommon for players in Slimani's situation

I think I read somewhere that Slim has been told that his future isn’t with the club. Same for Silva and Ghezzal

Rodgers on Slimani, Ghezzal and Silva : “Their futures have been spoken about, and their futures will be outside of here”

BR implied in his press conference Slimani, Silva and Ghezzal are surplus to requirements from what I read. Interestingly Diabete not mentioned. Not sure if we should read in to that he may well be retained, or just simply not worthy of comment!

I see Dewsbury-Hall was listed on the squad number announcement as was George Hirst and Luke Thomas, Thomas was to be expected but the fact the other 2 were seems like them being made official members of the first team squad to me

I see Dewsbury-Hall was listed on the squad number announcement as was George Hirst and Luke Thomas, Thomas was to be expected but the fact the other 2 were seems like them being made official members of the first team squad to me

You'd expect them to be given squad numbers, they all played for the first team last season.
A few years ago Elder and Moore were given squad numbers before the season, and neither played a game for the first team.

The fact that Slimani, Silva, Diabate and Ghezzal haven't been given numbers is more significant. They all had squad numbers last season.

Here's the full list:

1. Kasper Schmeichel
2. James Justin
4. Çağlar Söyüncü
5. Wes Morgan
6. Jonny Evans
7. Demarai Gray
8. Youri Tielemans
9. Jamie Vardy
10. James Maddison
11. Marc Albrighton
12. Danny Ward
14. Kelechi Iheanacho
15. Harvey Barnes
16. Filip Benković
17. Ayoze Pérez
18. Daniel Amartey
20. Hamza Choudhury
21. Ricardo Pereira
22. Matty James
24. Nampalys Mendy
25. Wilfred Ndidi
26. Dennis Praet
27. Timothy Castagne
28. Christian Fuchs
32. Kiernan Dewsbury-Hall
33. Luke Thomas
35. Eldin Jakupović
45. George Hirst

There are 26 "over 21s" in that list, so at least one of them will be missing from the Premier League 25 man squad.

Last edited:
Jeff everyone in the U23s has a squad number due to the FL Trophy games, they are required but the club never announce those numbers, the numbers we announce are from the first team that's why I made the comments, Thomas and Dewsbury-Hall both have new numbers too

Jeff everyone in the U23s has a squad number due to the FL Trophy games, they are required but the club never announce those numbers, the numbers we announce are from the first team that's why I made the comments, Thomas and Dewsbury-Hall both have new numbers too

It would give a really bad signal to the players if they'd played for the first team towards the end of last season, and weren't given squad numbers for this season. So I'd have expected them to be given numbers even if they're going to be sent out on loan, or play for the under 23s.

When we announced the first team squad numbers for 2017/18, Elder (number 31) was sent out on loan a few days later, Barnes (32) was sent out on loan, and Moore (33) spent the first half of the season playing for the under 23s, before being sent out on loan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757