Pay per View

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure Sky/BT PPV won't be providing the service free of charge.

Of course the TV companies will be getting money from it.

They are already filming all the matches for USA and worldwide, so it is just one more cable into a socket isn't it?

Maybe Susan Whelan and Top will decide to give the City PPV money to the lower leagues to help keep them in business?

I’m going to cancel both my Sky Sports subscription and my BT Sports one. I pay £16 (Sky) and £25 (BT) per month, so now if I watch 5 games a month I will be paying £116, **** right off.

Why would you pay for another five games a month?

I don't think we had more than three non-TV games in a month last season.
And this season, unless games are rearranged, it's impossible for us to have more than four £15 games in a month even if Sky/BT don't pick any more of our games than the ones that have already been announced.

Don't forget all the Europa League games are on BT, so it's worth keeping that at least until the group stage is over.

They are already filming all the matches for USA and worldwide, so it is just one more cable into a socket isn't it?

It's a bit more complicated than that. Providing a streaming service isn't free. But it seems like the TV companies will be charging for the costs involved in this, rather than taking a profit from it.

I just don't get it. I can't see the business model makes sense.

If they charged £5 a game, or even £7.50, I'm sure they'd get so many more people watching the games.

A lot of people at those prices would watch all of their own teams games, and probably some others too.

At £15, even watching your own team is extremely questionable. I don't think I'll do it.

I just don't get it. I can't see the business model makes sense.

If they charged £5 a game, or even £7.50, I'm sure they'd get so many more people watching the games.

A lot of people at those prices would watch all of their own teams games, and probably some others too.

At £15, even watching your own team is extremely questionable. I don't think I'll do it.

They’ll have done price elasticity studies and equations and found precisely where that number between optimising revenue while retaining audience is.

I agree that it’s a pretty steep price, but part of the logic will be it’s cheaper than a match day ticket, and you aren’t currently spending that money.

According to the Sun it will cost the TV companies £100,000 to stream each game with any profit going to the clubs

They’ll have done price elasticity studies and equations and found precisely where that number between optimising revenue while retaining audience is.

I agree that it’s a pretty steep price, but part of the logic will be it’s cheaper than a match day ticket, and you aren’t currently spending that money.

Yup, time will tell if they've anticipated how many people can be taken for mugs I suppose.

According to the Sun it will cost the TV companies £100,000 to stream each game with any profit going to the clubs
£100,000?!

League Two clubs charge £10 a game and make a profit from it. I'm pretty sure it's not costing them £100,000.
LCFC shows every under 23 game for free. Decent coverage too. I'm sure that's not costing £100,000.

The infrastructure, commentaries etc are already in place. That shouldn't cost anything. The only new cost is the broadcasting /streaming cost and the administration costs (processing payments etc)

Where's the money going?

Doesn't mean they'll have got it right though. It's all just modelled data, based on assumptions of how many people will watch. Does any other country or the NFL for example have a similar model at that price?

I'm hoping they've got it massively wrong.

Guess it's easier to start high and reduce the price if they need to though!

I wouldn't be surprised if in a few days they roll out a 'season ticket' system for all of your team's games that makes it cheaper if you subscribe. My guess is they predicted a backlash to any cost, so have come in with this but then will introduce a season ticket that makes it £8-£10 per game that then seems a much better deal.

£100,000?!

League Two clubs charge £10 a game and make a profit from it. I'm pretty sure it's not costing them £100,000.
LCFC shows every under 23 game for free. Decent coverage too. I'm sure that's not costing £100,000.

The infrastructure, commentaries etc are already in place. That shouldn't cost anything. The only new cost is the broadcasting /streaming cost and the administration costs (processing payments etc)

Where's the money going?
Country’s gone ****in mad if people are forking out ten actual real non-Monopoly pounds to watch Division Four, no wonder the West Broms of the world think they can get 15

Where's the money going?

A guess...

The TV companies will treat this as an event like any other Premier League match. Rather than using the generic PL coverage that is sold to other countries, it will be Tyler or Fletcher commentating, along with Neville or McManaman, with similarly expensive guests in a studio. When all we really want is to be able to watch the game.

And if I’m not mistaken Premier League Productions, despite its name, is contracted out to IMG so there is costs involved there also for these streams.
there is always a high cost to a live broadcast, they have to buy satellite time etc, but compared to what they sell the rights for its nothing

Just seen on the website that Sky and BT are airing these games - presumably in a deal with the clubs - as “box office” fixtures.
I think this shows How obviously this is simply about money and not “making sure fans see games”
If it works - there’s no rush to get fans into grounds, eh
How ironic that the saturday 3pm blackout designed to get people to go to their local club games is going to do directly the opposite in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3882
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3776
5West Brom3967
6Norwich City3961
7Coventry City3860
8Hull City3859