Player Salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

I've been looking at this website which details the contracts/salaries of players: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/ I'm sure that it is not 100% accurate but it does seem to be a decent guide.

The main job this summer has to be getting unwanted players off the payroll. The following examples illustrate how much of our salary budget is being wasted - none of these players have kicked a ball for us this season: Silva £80k p/w, Slimani £80k p/w, James £32k p/w, Kapustka £30k p/w, Amartey £21k p/w, Ghezzal £45k p/w, Diabate £15k p/w. Hopefully, some of the loaned out players salaries are being offset but all these are under contract next season - it is a combined £15.75 million a year just being wasted.

We've got King (£40k p/w) off the books, and Mendy departing seems imminent (£50k p/w) but Lee Congerton/Jon Rudkin will need to do some serious graft to get shot of the above players.

There are decisions to be made on Gray and Evans who are both entering the final year of their contracts. We're in talks with Evans but it is a tricky one. He turns 33 in January so we probably don't want to be adding more than one more year to his deal. I guess he'll be after an extra year though and I expect that he'll get it. With Gray, I think it's another obvious one that we need to sell this summer whilst we can get something for him.

Hopefully, we negotiated reduced terms for the new contracts for Morgan, Fuchs and Jakupovic given their likely minimal involvement next season. Their current deals are worth £133k a week combined.

The top paid player is of course Vardy on £140k p/w. This seems entirely justified to me. However, our other big earner is Schmeichel and I do question what we're paying him. He's on £130k p.w, This makes him the third highest paid keeper in the PL after De Gea and Kepa. For comparison, Ederson is on £65k p/w and Allison £90k p/w. Pope is on £35k p/w.

Vardy and Schmiechel are also the top paid players from non-big six clubs (Zaha is on £130k p/w too though).

I've been looking at this website which details the contracts/salaries of players: https://www.spotrac.com/epl/ I'm sure that it is not 100% accurate but it does seem to be a decent guide.

The main job this summer has to be getting unwanted players off the payroll. The following examples illustrate how much of our salary budget is being wasted - none of these players have kicked a ball for us this season: Silva £80k p/w, Slimani £80k p/w, James £32k p/w, Kapustka £30k p/w, Amartey £21k p/w, Ghezzal £45k p/w, Diabate £15k p/w. Hopefully, some of the loaned out players salaries are being offset but all these are under contract next season - it is a combined £15.75 million a year just being wasted.

We've got King (£40k p/w) off the books, and Mendy departing seems imminent (£50k p/w) but Lee Congerton/Jon Rudkin will need to do some serious graft to get shot of the above players.

There are decisions to be made on Gray and Evans who are both entering the final year of their contracts. We're in talks with Evans but it is a tricky one. He turns 33 in January so we probably don't want to be adding more than one more year to his deal. I guess he'll be after an extra year though and I expect that he'll get it. With Gray, I think it's another obvious one that we need to sell this summer whilst we can get something for him.

Hopefully, we negotiated reduced terms for the new contracts for Morgan, Fuchs and Jakupovic given their likely minimal involvement next season. Their current deals are worth £133k a week combined.

The top paid player is of course Vardy on £140k p/w. This seems entirely justified to me. However, our other big earner is Schmeichel and I do question what we're paying him. He's on £130k p.w, This makes him the third highest paid keeper in the PL after De Gea and Kepa. For comparison, Ederson is on £65k p/w and Allison £90k p/w. Pope is on £35k p/w.

Vardy and Schmiechel are also the top paid players from non-big six clubs (Zaha is on £130k p/w too though).
The problem is (aside from nobody really having a clue what players earn) that so many other things make up their contracts. Allison and Ederson might be on ridiculous clean sheet bonuses, or image rights, or still swimming in a 20m signing on fee etc. I agree there's money being wasted, but comparing players to others, even at the same club, is pointless IMO given how complicated agents make any deal.

For the record I'd be happy giveling Evans another 2 years, he doesn't look like he's about to slow down yet and if it means keeping him, do it.

just a small point, Matty James has "kicked a ball for us" this season he came on in either the Liverpool or Man City home game, he still needs to go however.

Also a little unfair to tag Kapustka and Amartey who are/were recovering from serious injury

Aresnal are still paying whopping fees no European football must surely hurt them? Interesting that Everton are paying more than us but theirs drops significantly next year, we will have 9 players out of contract next year.

No. It's obscene.

For the same money you could pay 300 nurses.
That’s one way of looking at it, certainly. Another, of course, is that it’s better for the people doing the real work in the core activity of a football club to be well compensated rather than, as in most other industries, huge unjustified bonuses going to those few at the top of an organisational chart who actually do relatively little.

If we are going to insist on making such connections between entertainers’ earnings and public spending on healthcare workers, why not have some kind of voluntary agreement in place? As an example, we could say for every pound of a footballer’s salary over, say, £500k a year, if the club that employs him is signed up it pays 10p directly into a pot for the NHS, or education, whatever. Some public interest. If Vardy’s £140k a week is correct, even at the 10p rate that’s £678k a year. Boom, money for 30 new nurses.

Rough calculation - Vardy £7.28m per annum, top rate tax 45% so he hands over £3.27m in income tax every year (even excluding other income/savings and investment interest) - I guess that pays for a fair few nurses/teachers/police etc..

nah, not the police.

Rough calculation - Vardy £7.28m per annum, top rate tax 45% so he hands over £3.27m in income tax every year (even excluding other income/savings and investment interest) - I guess that pays for a fair few nurses/teachers/police etc..
Assuming of course, they don't have accountants making sure that vast sums of this tax bill aren't actually paid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757