Players Names

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Gwilliam

Blue Maniac raised an interesting question on the Bury threas that I thought deserved to be a thread of its own.
How do you decide which players you refer to by surname and which by given name? Is it something simple like nationality, something personal such as whether you like their haircut, something entirely off the wall like what colour towels they have in their bathroom, or something simple and tedious like whichever of his names you prefer the sound of? If we had a Chinese player would you reverse the process?

This was provoked by my use of first names for Leonardo and Shinji's first name along with surnames for Vardy, Karamic and Fuchs. It would be interesting to know how other members decide what to call the players.

In the case of Leonardo it was a deliberate choice. I am an admirer of Leonardo da Vinci and he was always known as Leonardo despite Dan Brown calling him Da Vinci.
Shinji and Kasper are easier for me than Okazaki and Schmeichel.
Christian Fuchs first name leaves, for me, a slightly bad taste.
Jamie has all soft letters whereas the V and the d in Vardy suit a tough character.

It has always been inconsistent. In the great Bloomfield team Keith Weller was incredibly popular but always Weller whereas Worthington was Frankie and Glover was Lenny. In the O'Neill era Neil Lennon was always Lennon whereas Muzzy Izzet was Muzzy.

Blue Maniac raised an interesting question on the Bury threas that I thought deserved to be a thread of its own.

This was provoked by my use of first names for Leonardo and Shinji's first name along with surnames for Vardy, Karamic and Fuchs. It would be interesting to know how other members decide what to call the players.

In the case of Leonardo it was a deliberate choice. I am an admirer of Leonardo da Vinci and he was always known as Leonardo despite Dan Brown calling him Da Vinci.
Jamie has all soft letters whereas the V and the d in Vardy suit a tough character.

It has always been inconsistent. In the great Bloomfield team Keith Weller was incredibly popular but always Weller whereas Worthington was Frankie and Glover was Lenny. In the O'Neill era Neil Lennon was always Lennon whereas Muzzy Izzet was Muzzy.
How about yourself? Do you prefer David or Gwilliam? Or maybe Davie or Gwillie?

I bet there is someone somewhere with a PhD that could give us an answer to all of this.

How about yourself? Do you prefer David or Gwilliam? Or maybe Davie or Gwillie?
Or indeed Blue or Maniac?
I have been called Motown, Mowt's etc and a few up here refer to me as the Fox.

In answer to David's question I have called the players, over the years by first and last names, as well as others not repeatable here.
Like David I also referred to Frank as Frankie, but also referred to him as Wortho.
I think the song about the player can influence the name used such as Lenny Lenny Glover on the wing, which meant a lot of City fans thought of Lenny.
It also helps that there was not other players in the team with the same first name, or surname for that matter.

RTEmagicC_Blindniet_3_04.gif.gif

I prefer using nuts and bolts, personally. They're not as permanent and I do tend to change my mind, a lot

Growing up I was always Mike, unless I was in trouble, in which case I was called Michael!

There was a stage when we were doing well performance wise, not points wise, under Pearson when I referred to him in posts as Nigel, in a supportive way.

Maybe because of his demeanour, but even if we stayed top of the league, I cannot see myself referring to our manager as Claudio. He is not a 'mate'. He will always be Ranieri to me out of respect, unless he screws up big time, and then there might be a few traditional Anglo-Saxon names substituted!

Players names I tend use surnames, probably because that is what you hear in commentary. As their exploits become more memorable/enjoyable, I will more often use first names or nicknames in a 'blokesy' sort of way. Wes and Was, The Beast from Poland, Esteban, Nuge, etc.

I draw the line at Schluppywuppypants and other similar derivatives though!

Growing up I was always Mike, unless I was in trouble, in which case I was called Michael!
Just to be clear, you don't actually play for City though, right?

He will always be Ranieri to me out of respect, unless he screws up big time, and then there might be a few traditional Anglo-Saxon names substituted!

What, like Eldwin, Alfred, Godric or something like that? Won't that get a little confusing though?

I'm fascinated that you've even given this nonsensical question the time it took to read it, let alone respond. Appreciated, Mr G.

I was named after David Lloyd George (elderly Welsh Prime Minister) but in the end it does not matter what people call you as long as they do it with affection.

Of course. Although sometimes the affection only appears in the statement by the defendant's solicitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4697
2Ipswich4696
3Leeds Utd4690
4Southampton4687
5West Brom4675
6Norwich City4673
7Hull City4670
8Middlesbro4669