Premier League 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
“Hughes’s departure comes at a cost, with the club having to pay the Welshman around £6m in compensation after sacking him six months into signing a three-year contract in May. He becomes the first manager to be sacked by two Premier League clubs in the same calendar year and is estimated to have now earned around £18m in compensation having now been dismissed by Manchester City, QPR, Stoke and Southampton. “

****ing hell....18 million for being absolutely shit

This goes back to a post I made the other day.

He's actually better off being shit than being good. There is no incentive for managers outside the top few teams being any good.

The 'destroy and exit' approach of so many managers has made the job a joke.

You could put a chimpanzee in charge of some clubs and they'd get 40 points.

I know Spurs thrashed Everton, 6-2, but thought that they certainly had the rub of the green for 5 of the goals, even Everton's disallowed goal!

Further to the discussion on the other thread about Spurs and the title race, how about this article daring to put a Spurs title win in the same breath as ours because “since then, City appointed Pep Guardiola and Liverpool bankrolled Jurgen Klopp’s squad to make sure the elite never get embarrassed again. “

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mauricio-pochettino-claims-tottenham-winning-13784636

Yeah it would be impressive. Not utterly batshit mental though.

Wow, imagine thinking a club preparing to move into a billion pound stadium could ever be an underdog in any circumstances

Wow, imagine thinking a club preparing to move into a billion pound stadium could ever be an underdog in any circumstances
But they are. Modern football, eh?

Spurs have done it the 'right way', bringing lots of youth through the door (so many England internationals!) and while they have spent on transfers it's beans compared to the other contenders. It's not 500/1 and it's not Leicester but of the current top three I don't understand any football fan outside of Liverpool, Manchester or the other part of North London not wanting them to do it

I really don’t mind Spurs as much as I used to. I know our American based friends on here have said they’ve got lots of annoying plastic fans over there and they were pretty sour losers when we beat them to the title but as a team I think they’re generally entertaining and have some really interesting players. They haven’t really signed any superstars and seem to improve the players they buy instead of pinching players like Mahrez for the sake of it.

But they are. Modern football, eh?

Spurs have done it the 'right way', bringing lots of youth through the door (so many England internationals!) and while they have spent on transfers it's beans compared to the other contenders. It's not 500/1 and it's not Leicester but of the current top three I don't understand any football fan outside of Liverpool, Manchester or the other part of North London not wanting them to do it
Don’t get me wrong, I do recognise that they’ve not just bought their way into it. What we see now is the result of many years of hard work. All the same, at this point they’re not underdogs in any sense of the word that has any meaning. They’re expected to be top four every season, they’re expected to beat most teams below them, and more recently they’re expected to get through to the group stages of the Champions League. It’s only a matter of time before they find the right combination of players, tactics, and luck to finish top of the pile. They’re not “upsetting the status quo”, as the article bizarrely claims. They’re not embarrassing the elite, they are the elite. As for Pochettino claiming a title win would be a bigger upset than 2016, I don’t even have a word for how wrong that is.

Most of the dislike for Spurs is because of their fans. That season in particular they acted like a bunch of Arsenal fans. Totally convinced they were going to win as it was only Leicester, we couldnt keep winning and they had a better goal difference (points didn't win prizes back then). Fast forward to any pisstaking about 3rd in a 2 horse race and suddenly they were never in the title race as they weren't above us towards the end of the season. Absolute ****ing tits.

Most of the dislike for Spurs is because of their fans. That season in particular they acted like a bunch of Arsenal fans. Totally convinced they were going to win as it was only Leicester, we couldnt keep winning and they had a better goal difference (points didn't win prizes back then). Fast forward to any pisstaking about 3rd in a 2 horse race and suddenly they were never in the title race as they weren't above us towards the end of the season. Absolute ****ing tits.

https://www.thefightingcock.co.uk/2016/04/the-truth-about-fairytales/

****ing hilarious. If you feel the need to induce vomiting after the indulgence of Christmas you need only scroll through the titles of the blog posts on there. ****ery of the highest order.

On the subject of ‘EPL’ fans (I’m sure it only gets called that to market to NFL, MBA fans etc) in America I saw a really sad sight in the summer. Probably 100,000 fans packed into one of their vast roofless stadiums to watch Liverpool and Man City’s Under 23’s. Half in immaculate brand new Liverpool shirts, the other half the same but sky blue. All of them wearing scarves in what looked like blazing heat. I found it completely surreal, really don’t understand what they get out of it.

****ing hilarious. If you feel the need to induce vomiting after the indulgence of Christmas you need only scroll through the titles of the blog posts on there. ****ery of the highest order.

On the subject of ‘EPL’ fans (I’m sure it only gets called that to market to NFL, MBA fans etc) in America I saw a really sad sight in the summer. Probably 100,000 fans packed into one of their vast roofless stadiums to watch Liverpool and Man City’s Under 23’s. Half in immaculate brand new Liverpool shirts, the other half the same but sky blue. All of them wearing scarves in what looked like blazing heat. I found it completely surreal, really don’t understand what they get out of it.

Lolz. Goal difference in there too. We really should have offered them the title for their slightly better goal difference. +2 Goal difference is worth more than 11 points surely?

It's from a fanzine ... another club's fanzine, what else would it be full of? I'm moderately interested that a Brooklyn Jew with no apparent links to England, North London or association football seems to buy into the Spurs' mythology about being the club that everyone hates, but that's probably too deep a pool to fish in here.

Pochettino's "us against the World" thesis is no more implausible than the "Band of Brothers" and "Speshul" memes that we have trotted out with diminishing credibility for the last two and a half years. This rallying of the troops always looks stupid to others unless it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757