Premier League 2019/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

So, we now know the twenty sides that will make up next seasons Premier League. We've lost three pretty awful sides (Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield) and they've been replaced with more heavyweight opposition - Villa, Sheff Utd and Norwich. I expect all three of those sides to put up more of a fight than the three sides that went down last time round. It will be very hard for them all though.

Brighton are the most at risk of the rest. They were terrible and have already changed their manager in an attempt to be stronger. The change is a gamble though.

The really interesting thing next season will be who the strugglers will be. Newcastle look like being taken over with major investment to follow. That will keep Benitez in post and they look solid. All the other 'second level' sides seem pretty strong and solid. The vultures are circling around Bournemouth players such as Ake, Brooks, Fraser and Wilson. They could find it tough next season if they're not careful. If Palace lose Zaha, will they be any good? I think Southampton and Burnley will be fine. My outsiders to struggle are Wolves. They had a terrific season with a very small squad but next season will be very different. They've got the July Europa League qualifiers to play, and everyone knows them now. They've got to get injuries next season. I think their bubble will burst.

Have Watford peaked? Will Everton and West Ham be able to sustain some consistency to push on?

At the top end, it's hard to see Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs or Arsenal threatening the top. I also can't really see Liverpool being as strong again so it may be another stroll for Man City. Dull.

And where are we in all this? We probably need to add 15/20 points to challenge the top six, are we really likely to be able to do that? What if we recruit badly and start badly? Might we struggle?

It will be an interesting season, I think, everywhere except at the top.

So, we now know the twenty sides that will make up next seasons Premier League. We've lost three pretty awful sides (Cardiff, Fulham and Huddersfield) and they've been replaced with more heavyweight opposition - Villa, Sheff Utd and Norwich. I expect all three of those sides to put up more of a fight than the three sides that went down last time round. It will be very hard for them all though.

Brighton are the most at risk of the rest. They were terrible and have already changed their manager in an attempt to be stronger. The change is a gamble though.

The really interesting thing next season will be who the strugglers will be. Newcastle look like being taken over with major investment to follow. That will keep Benitez in post and they look solid. All the other 'second level' sides seem pretty strong and solid. The vultures are circling around Bournemouth players such as Ake, Brooks, Fraser and Wilson. They could find it tough next season if they're not careful. If Palace lose Zaha, will they be any good? I think Southampton and Burnley will be fine. My outsiders to struggle are Wolves. They had a terrific season with a very small squad but next season will be very different. They've got the July Europa League qualifiers to play, and everyone knows them now. They've got to get injuries next season. I think their bubble will burst.

Have Watford peaked? Will Everton and West Ham be able to sustain some consistency to push on?

At the top end, it's hard to see Chelsea, Man Utd, Spurs or Arsenal threatening the top. I also can't really see Liverpool being as strong again so it may be another stroll for Man City. Dull.

And where are we in all this? We probably need to add 15/20 points to challenge the top six, are we really likely to be able to do that? What if we recruit badly and start badly? Might we struggle?

It will be an interesting season, I think, everywhere except at the top.
All that and not a word about Leicester.

Brighton look like they've really upgraded in the managerial department. They were certainly heading for the drop with Hughton in charge but should be better, no telling if it will be good enough though - they're starting from a very low base.

Bournemouth were tailing off this season too, I'm sure they're going to struggle next season. Howe must had had offers, at some point he's going to realise that he can't take them any further. He could just be waiting for the England job to come up though.

I can't see Watford improving, at some point they will revert to the average though and begin to struggle. Wolves will have it hard though, they're set up to showcase players for sale and some will leave this summer. Their manager is still learning and they are going to have a lot of games to fit in without a big squad,

Burnley, Southampton and West Ham finished the season much better than they began, and will probably be fine.

I'm not sure that any of the promoted teams will be that good though. Villa have one very good player but if he's stopped I don't know what else they have to offer, their manager clearly is good though. Sheffield United have been playing a very attacking game which Fulham showed this season you will be punished for when you step up, and Fulham had better players. Norwich are the best of the three, no wonder they were champions, I expect them to be lower midtable all season.

At the top, I can expect Pep to be obsessed with the the CL and to pursue this to the detriment of a title chase. Liverpool won't be any weaker so will effectively be handed the title. With Chelsea under a transfer embargo and losing their best player, Manchester United needing a massive rebuild that they might not have the stomach for, and Arsenal being inconsistent, I expect Spurs to walk to third but fourth really could be up for a plucky upstart with a good manager and young talented squad. The lustre is very much off Silva at Everton, it won't be them.

Predictions:
Champions: Liverpool
CL: Manchester City, Tottenham, Arsenal
Euro: Manchester United, Chelsea, Leicester
Relegated: Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Villa or Brighton

Brighton look like they've really upgraded in the managerial department. They were certainly heading for the drop with Hughton in charge but should be better, no telling if it will be good enough though - they're starting from a very low base.

Bournemouth were tailing off this season too, I'm sure they're going to struggle next season. Howe must had had offers, at some point he's going to realise that he can't take them any further. He could just be waiting for the England job to come up though.

I can't see Watford improving, at some point they will revert to the average though and begin to struggle. Wolves will have it hard though, they're set up to showcase players for sale and some will leave this summer. Their manager is still learning and they are going to have a lot of games to fit in without a big squad,

Burnley, Southampton and West Ham finished the season much better than they began, and will probably be fine.

I'm not sure that any of the promoted teams will be that good though. Villa have one very good player but if he's stopped I don't know what else they have to offer, their manager clearly is good though. Sheffield United have been playing a very attacking game which Fulham showed this season you will be punished for when you step up, and Fulham had better players. Norwich are the best of the three, no wonder they were champions, I expect them to be lower midtable all season.

At the top, I can expect Pep to be obsessed with the the CL and to pursue this to the detriment of a title chase. Liverpool won't be any weaker so will effectively be handed the title. With Chelsea under a transfer embargo and losing their best player, Manchester United needing a massive rebuild that they might not have the stomach for, and Arsenal being inconsistent, I expect Spurs to walk to third but fourth really could be up for a plucky upstart with a good manager and young talented squad. The lustre is very much off Silva at Everton, it won't be them.

Predictions:
Champions: Liverpool
CL: Manchester City, Tottenham, Arsenal
Euro: Manchester United, Chelsea, Leicester
Relegated: Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Villa or Brighton
Late appearance for the team in blue. But seven teams into Europe?

Have to believe Blades and Norwich will struggle. As BN points out, there aren't too many absolute stinkers in those remaining from last season.

Bournemouth feels like the right one to earmark. I can't dare believe Villa will go down, but we can all dream one supposes.

I can't see us struggling, certainly not enough to be pulled into trouble. As it stands we are better than at least 8 sides - Southampton, Newcastle, Shef Utd, Villa, Norwich, Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth.

Have to believe Blades and Norwich will struggle. As BN points out, there aren't too many absolute stinkers in those remaining from last season.

Bournemouth feels like the right one to earmark. I can't dare believe Villa will go down, but we can all dream one supposes.

I can't see us struggling, certainly not enough to be pulled into trouble. As it stands we are better than at least 8 sides - Southampton, Newcastle, Shef Utd, Villa, Norwich, Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Bournemouth.

As each season passes, the gap between the Premier League and the Championship widens. The money is just so different.

Two of the promoted sides went straight back last season and the other only just survived their first season and capitulated in the second. Establishing yourself in the Premier League is now incredibly tough. Villa could do it if they spend well because they're big enough to get an edge in terms of resources, like Newcastle have done. But I also fear for Sheff Utd and Norwich. It's only a matter of time for them and Brighton.

Outside of that, you're looking for a club screwing up their decision making completely in order to be bad enough to go down.

There's quite an amusing meltdown going on amongst their fan base (see some of the replies):

****ing brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758