Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
with Aston Villa v Sheffield United and Manchester City v Arsenal

The matches are the two games in hand.

A full fixture list would then be played on the weekend of 19-21 June.

Aside from all the pro/con arguments about the sense of bringing back a version of football in the current environment, and I've made my views pretty clear, my prediction is that this won't happen. Or if is begins, it sure as shit won't last for long.

I listened to the daily fairy tale conference led by the PM yesterday. Even with their, frankly, awful graphics and five test bollocks, I was puzzled. It just didn't ring true to some stories that have been appearing over the last few days. The two goons either side of the PM (Whitty and Valance) appeared to be standing there with electronic shock paraphernalia attached to their nethers. They are either incompetent or incapacitated.

So I did some of my own research and found the Centre for Mathemetical Modelling of Infectious Diseases very helpful. https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/ The evidence clearly shows that the reproduction of infection is now rising again. Just after the VE Day Bank Holiday, we seemed to be getting there but the last couple of weeks conclusively demonstrate that we've gone backwards again. Officially, 789 people have died over the last 48 hours. Unofficially, this is likely to be nearer to 1,200. These numbers are going up, not down.

So with the confusion of what is/isn't allowed, the good weather, the general frustration, all meaning that the strictness of the lockdown is waning, I can only see some pretty awful increases over the coming weeks. Whereas sensible countries entered lockdown earlier and harder and are now able to come out of lockdowns with some confidence, we've been fecking awful every step of the way. Once again, this will cost a lot more lives.

While I'm not remotely interested in football coming back in this context, I do have some sympathy for those that do. However, as they put out TV schedules and start talking about looking forward to matches, I really can't help but think that this is wilfully ignorant of what is going on in our country. Football cannot isolate itself from wider society sufficiently to get away with this. I really don't think it's going to work.

Aside from all the pro/con arguments about the sense of bringing back a version of football in the current environment, and I've made my views pretty clear, my prediction is that this won't happen. Or if is begins, it sure as shit won't last for long.

I listened to the daily fairy tale conference led by the PM yesterday. Even with their, frankly, awful graphics and five test bollocks, I was puzzled. It just didn't ring true to some stories that have been appearing over the last few days. The two goons either side of the PM (Whitty and Valance) appeared to be standing there with electronic shock paraphernalia attached to their nethers. They are either incompetent or incapacitated.

So I did some of my own research and found the Centre for Mathemetical Modelling of Infectious Diseases very helpful. https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid19/ The evidence clearly shows that the reproduction of infection is now rising again. Just after the VE Day Bank Holiday, we seemed to be getting there but the last couple of weeks conclusively demonstrate that we've gone backwards again. Officially, 789 people have died over the last 48 hours. Unofficially, this is likely to be nearer to 1,200. These numbers are going up, not down.

So with the confusion of what is/isn't allowed, the good weather, the general frustration, all meaning that the strictness of the lockdown is waning, I can only see some pretty awful increases over the coming weeks. Whereas sensible countries entered lockdown earlier and harder and are now able to come out of lockdowns with some confidence, we've been fecking awful every step of the way. Once again, this will cost a lot more lives.

While I'm not remotely interested in football coming back in this context, I do have some sympathy for those that do. However, as they put out TV schedules and start talking about looking forward to matches, I really can't help but think that this is wilfully ignorant of what is going on in our country. Football cannot isolate itself from wider society sufficiently to get away with this. I really don't think it's going to work.
I know you pay your money & you take your choice, but according to the Health Service Journal, deaths across all settings in the UK are halving every 18 days. One would guess that may not be maintained at that rate as lockdown is eased, but we have to remember that unless we get a vaccine this disease is not going anywhere, and there will continue to be infections and deaths. How you square that circle ( go for full lockdown again ) with the non-covid health problems that would ensue ( people not reporting problems that will lead to cancer, the effects on health due to people losing their jobs ) is a job I am glad I do not have to adjudicate on. It ain't easy.

Be just our luck to actually win the ****er for the first time in our history , and none of us get to see it, other than by watching on the telly some soulless training match in a completely empty stadium

Be just our luck to actually win the ****er for the first time in our history , and none of us get to see it, other than by watching on the telly some soulless training match in a completely empty stadium
Yeah but think of the party we could all have outside the KP :119: :030:

They should delay the final until next year.

The teams in the final will probably have already qualified for Europe anyway, so there's no need for the final to be played this season.

They should delay the final until next year.

The teams in the final will probably have already qualified for Europe anyway, so there's no need for the final to be played this season.
As is happening in Spain, I believe.

#winningthecupwithhomerinanunsatisfyingmanner

How you square that circle ( go for full lockdown again ) with the non-covid health problems that would ensue ( people not reporting problems that will lead to cancer, the effects on health due to people losing their jobs ) is a job I am glad I do not have to adjudicate on. It ain't easy.

Amen brother. I would have some sympathy (in varying degrees obviously) with any flavour of government at the moment. All you can do is take advice and make a judgement call, and with the best will in the world none of use know what the best thing to do is. It's a balancing act; having to address the needs of many and plot the hopefully least damaging path.

That all said, I AM surprised that we'll see football again quite so soon. I'm inclined to agree with BrownNose...

Aside from all the pro/con arguments about the sense of bringing back a version of football in the current environment, and I've made my views pretty clear, my prediction is that this won't happen. Or if is begins, it sure as shit won't last for long. <snip>

I really can't help but think that this is wilfully ignorant of what is going on in our country. Football cannot isolate itself from wider society sufficiently to get away with this. I really don't think it's going to work.

I know you pay your money & you take your choice, but according to the Health Service Journal, deaths across all settings in the UK are halving every 18 days. One would guess that may not be maintained at that rate as lockdown is eased, but we have to remember that unless we get a vaccine this disease is not going anywhere, and there will continue to be infections and deaths. How you square that circle ( go for full lockdown again ) with the non-covid health problems that would ensue ( people not reporting problems that will lead to cancer, the effects on health due to people losing their jobs ) is a job I am glad I do not have to adjudicate on. It ain't easy.

I totally agree that the way we've chosen to lockdown has caused some terrible health side effects. The fact that we can have empty hospital beds and ill people scared to seek medical attention is dreadful. 60k fewer cancer diagnosis is just the start.

The solution isn't to resurrect a pretend normality though. The solution is to deal with the problems as they occur or preferably before they occur.

We are nothing like Germany who have triggered this desire to restart football. Our excess death rate is about nine times the one there. There is no way they'd have restarted if they were like we are now.

I just think that the headlines about the Premier League coming back defy reality and will be made to look ridiculous in time.

There definitely seems to be a spike in cases which appear to have been as a result of the VE day commemoration parties. Why on earth we had to try and celebrate something more than half the country had never heard of is beyond comprehension. Just an excuse for a glorified piss up, some of which got badly out of hand with increased admissions to A&E departments. Madness.

Amen brother. I would have some sympathy (in varying degrees obviously) with any flavour of government at the moment. All you can do is take advice and make a judgement call, and with the best will in the world none of use know what the best thing to do is. It's a balancing act; having to address the needs of many and plot the hopefully least damaging path.

That all said, I AM surprised that we'll see football again quite so soon. I'm inclined to agree with BrownNose...
This type of thinking is a bit ridiculous. We may not know what the "right" thing to do is (setting aside the fact were aren't employing a raft of people who supposedly do), we can all sure as shit see the wrong things to do.

It's telling that the countries with the most narcissistic and populist leaders are daring the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757