Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shame, but seemed to be inevitable. I wonder what they'll do regarding tickets should the season be cancelled.

So what, realistically, do people think will happen?

Not what they want to happen (e.g. Liverpool don't get to win the league, but Villa still relegated), but what do they think will happen.

So what, realistically, do people think will happen?

Not what they want to happen (e.g. Liverpool don't get to win the league, but Villa still relegated), but what do they think will happen.

I think they'll can Euro 2020 and extend the season out to June. I think June 30th is when player contracts end. If it can't be completed by then, I think they'll have to void the season.

I think they'll can Euro 2020 and extend the season out to June. I think June 30th is when player contracts end. If it can't be completed by then, I think they'll have to void the season.

If they have to cancel the season, I would suggest that the top 2 teams in the Championship get promoted, no one gets relegated from the PL and we play an expanded league with 22 teams for the coming season with 4 relegation spaces for the next two seasons.

I'll admit right now that I haven't thought through all of the ramifications of this, so there could be a massive hole in that idea.

For me, you freeze the current season until you can reconvene it. There is no sense in starting something new until the on-going competitions are resolved. The legal ramifications of cancelling or abandoning or just holding current positions are terrible.

I don't see anyone playing meaningful football again until the Autumn at the earliest. So, the 20/21 season is bollocksed anyway. We should just wait and then do a full preseason and then play out this season. We can then have the Euros in Jan/Feb 2021 and run cup competitions for 20/21 in the spare time without any league season.

Then start again from 21/22.

It’s a waiting game now.
Sky sports will have Jim White on the screen wearing a face mask, with his 2 cronies from the transfer team by his side, coming to all sorts of conclusions.
Whilst we all just wait and see.

I see it as someone else said in another thread; a "holding decision".

For now, suspended until the posituon gets clearer, the alternatives are assessed etc. I personally see it as pretty unlikely that they'll be playing again within the next couple of months. Whether than means ending the season, and the ramifications thereof etc, is still very much open. We're day-to-day at the moment. I think that's the best approach at the moment.

It'll all be fine by April now that people are washing their hands and wiping their arses.

What are they wiping there arses with - there's no shit paper in the shops!

For me, you freeze the current season until you can reconvene it. There is no sense in starting something new until the on-going competitions are resolved. The legal ramifications of cancelling or abandoning or just holding current positions are terrible.

I don't see anyone playing meaningful football again until the Autumn at the earliest. So, the 20/21 season is bollocksed anyway. We should just wait and then do a full preseason and then play out this season. We can then have the Euros in Jan/Feb 2021 and run cup competitions for 20/21 in the spare time without any league season.

What about player contracts that end in June? Will they still play for the team that they were "this" season?

What about player contracts that end in June? Will they still play for the team that they were "this" season?

Of course not. There is no need to change contracts, and no sensible way of doing it either. Players have to be allowed freedom of movement if their contracts expire and clubs need to be able to move people in/out too.

If our next match against Watford actually takes place in October (for example), there may well be several player changes in both sides. I'm fine with that. Especially if Sarr is playing for City instead of Watford!

The season will resume mid April IMO, this is purely a delay tactic to free up bed spaces for the NHS. As the climate begins to warm the winter bugs such as flu,cold etc will decrease and ease the burden on the health services.
I think the Govt are taking the right steps to build up a gradual immunity amongst the population prior to an expected outbreak in the autumn. The decision to halt fixtures at the minute is the right one, I think they will resume mid April or early May, not sure about the Euros tbh.

If we can’t start playing again until the Autumn, I think we should finish this season and then start the new one straight afterwards. We could then ditch all cup competitions to get us finished in time for Euro 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757