Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
End the league now as it is and there would be all sorts of legal challenges

Yes, I fear there would be. I (naively, I know) hope that a kind of 'all in this together' attitude might prevail under the circumstances. Not just in football but elsewhere to.

Wish I was in charge of the decision making.

Postponed til April?

Can't say I get that really. According to the modelling things will only be worse by then.

I'd abandon the season now. Everyone finishes where they are.

The Scouse filth have had the league locked down since Xmas anyway, we get the CL, Yanited get stuck with the Europa again, Spurs & the Arse finish as the mid-table toss they've clearly been all season anyway & we lose the Villa.

Show me a negative in that scenario.

Maybe missing out on the chance to watch Chelsea get pipped for Europe by Wolves or the Blades, but on balance I'd be willing to let that go in order to get the rest.

Yes, I fear there would be. I (naively, I know) hope that a kind of 'all in this together' attitude might prevail under the circumstances. Not just in football but elsewhere to.

There will be.

But it'll be of the David Cameron 2010 type.

Don't think you can just outright write off the season anyway. Then what would happen to next season's UCL? Ending it at the current standings seems the most sensible course of action. Delaying it any further would also cause problems running into next season and for the timing of future season's..

Think it all depends when it is given the all clear to start again.
If we are talking a month or 2, how fit will the players be? (Iangw)
If we are looking at a perceivable length of time, why not just scrub this season and start again?

If you took a vote amongst football managers I can think of only 2 against not scrapping the season, Klopp and Brendan .
(Scousers are used to playing the victims)

Someone at work said the league was null and void when WWII kicked off. Haven't checked this myself but hopefully Boc can confirm.
That's exactly what happened but the season had hardly started at the time. When the league restarted it was with the same fixture list as in the abandoned season.

That's exactly what happened but the season had hardly started at the time. When the league restarted it was with the same fixture list as in the abandoned season.
Just checked. Only three games had been played.

So we/anyone should invade Poland to avoid Liverpool winning the league. I'm cool with that
About a dozen of Mrs Boc's family have been skiing in Slovakia and are now stuck there with the borders shut. They managed to book flights back from a nearby Polish airport but were turned back at the border earlier today. Do you think would count as an attempted invasion and suffice?

If the season is declared null & void there are to many clubs in the lower division's that won't be happy, I can see the bickering lasting for years through the courts, that utter selfish bitch Karen Brady ( I hate her & Wetspam with a passion, when we lost our chairman in the helicopter crash the 1st thing she did was tweet "I can confirm that nobody from Wetspam was injured" & their thug low brow supporters were calling Jamie V's wife a slag all game) she is already saying she wants the season written off yeah because your utter **** fest of a club with its council funded pitch is on the verge of going down
She & her whole club couldn't care less about anyone else & they make that obvious, just crawl in a hole & die bitch.
Anyway cancel the pointless Euros & carry on the proper football instead.

If the season is declared null & void there are to many clubs in the lower division's that won't be happy, I can see the bickering lasting for years through the courts, that utter selfish bitch Karen Brady ( I hate her & Wetspam with a passion, when we lost our chairman in the helicopter crash the 1st thing she did was tweet "I can confirm that nobody from Wetspam was injured" & their thug low brow supporters were calling Jamie V's wife a slag all game) she is already saying she wants the season written off yeah because your utter **** fest of a club with its council funded pitch is on the verge of going down
She & her whole club couldn't care less about anyone else & they make that obvious, just crawl in a hole & die bitch.
Anyway cancel the pointless Euros & carry on the proper football instead.
Sooo…

okay.

It's so, so difficult to find an outcome that works. And any decision would have to be agreed by the Premier League clubs. I think it's 16 out of 20 that have to agree? That's going to be tricky. And realistically it needs to be the same solution across Europe too, at least to some extent. For example, we can't say we will just finish this season In England no matter how long that takes if others don't do the same.

I don't see how you can give out titles or relegations based on a season that isn't finished. The money involved is too big. The relegation battle is too tight to just take the standings as they are. And no matter how far ahead Liverpool are, they haven't mathematically won it and I don't think you can crown them champions if you dotn also relegate teams - you have to do the same at both ends of the table.

If you assume a longer delay which is highly likely, I think the only thing they can do is end it as it is and give out prize money and European places based on league positions as they are now, but no titles or relegations.

The problem there then comes in the EFL, with teams who have been fighting for promotion likely to be furious to be denied their place in the big league with no guarantee they'd do as well next year. It could **** many clubs, and their finances.

But it comes back to my original point about it being the Premier League clubs making a decision for the league - in which case they'll protect themselves over the EFL clubs, which is why I think this is the most likely outcome.

Very difficult to continue the season after June when player contracts end etc

Season runs to the end of June

Simples

But what if there's not time to play all the remaining games by then?

I agree if that can happen, that will be the solution. But that still might not give enough time for all fixtures to be played.

To the suggestion of a 22 team PL next season too, I don't think that will work as chances are next season will need to start late and be condensed to get the Euros in

No chance of any football anytime soon here as the UK plan really is to let as many people get it and hope they develop natural immunity.

If you think this will all blow over, be done and get the football season finished by June you are in cloud cuckoo land.

I think they have to finish this season, whatever the time scale. If needed only play half the league games next season (1 game against each opponent)

I think they have to finish this season, whatever the time scale. If needed only play half the league games next season (1 game against each opponent)
How about split the league in two - North and South. Play each team in your division twice, followed by playoffs ending in a Super Bowl. A lot shorter season and one winner :icon lol: :119::102:

We just do not have the Euros this year and we finish the season across all leagues in Europe, lets face it the new model this year by UEFA looked total toss and was a a way of stopping us whinging that we never win a bid for a tournament. The data is showing COVID19 will bounce back in October only the plan is 80% of the population will have some form of immunity by then and we can crack on as normal. The NHS will be able to treat the elderly with a better knowledge of the virus and industry should go on largely unaffected.

Daily Express has reported that Boris Johnson is going to lock down all those over the age of 70 years.

Think it all depends when it is given the all clear to start again.
If we are talking a month or 2, how fit will the players be? (Iangw)
If we are looking at a perceivable length of time, why not just scrub this season and start again?

If you took a vote amongst football managers I can think of only 2 against not scrapping the season, Klopp and Brendan .
(Scousers are used to playing the victims)

And Wilder. That's literally only because every other team believes it can do better.

Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs have massively underperformed.

Chelsea like to believe they have a shot at the title rather than just about possibly scraping top 4.

Everton and Wolves like to think they could finish top 4 possibly.

Mid-table aren't bothered as they're mid-table.

Relegation-threatened teams are saved.

For me this is an absolute joke. We worked damn hard this season and I wouldn't want it to be null and void. We've played 76% of the season and that's a lot.

And FWIW Liverpool should be handed the title. They are 2 wins away from the title. You think they can't win 2 out of 9 matches and Man City will win all of their remaining 10? The latter could potentially be done but both the former and latter simultaneously? I'd like to see those odds.

There has to be another way of figuring this out which is relatively fair.

Karen bloody Brady said something in an article which suggested that voiding the season so far was the only fair way. She would say that as it saves WHU from relegation.

This is a farce. Bloody crappy media hyping this up to be much bigger than it is. We can't stop life as we know it because a muscular version of the flu is going around. We're still looking at only a 3.5% fatality rate and the majority of those have existing respiratory or general health issues or are older.

A friend of mine in Qingdao, China has said his mother contracted the virus and she's in her late 50s. Coughing, fever and runny nose. Now she's fine.

People need to stop freaking out, stop panicking and get a grip. Wear masks if you have to, use sanitizer, wash your hands before you eat or touch your face, help boost your immune system.

Don't go to visit your older relatives or friends unless necessary. Help them from a distance where possible or only let them have the assistance they absolutely need.

If we start closing schools then who will look after the kids? How will businesses run? Jobs? Everything will collapse.

Wash your hands regularly - with soap and water and for at least 20 seconds.

Wash your hands when you get home or into work.
Use hand sanitsers if you do not have access to soap and water.

Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or with your sleeve - not your hands - when you cough or sneeze.

Used tissues should be put in the bin immediately and your hands should be washed afterwards.

Try to avoid contact with people who are unwell.
Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean.

Re football, postpone the Euros until 2021, delay the domestic seasons for now. Explore whether it's possible to play behind closed doors.

Most of all stop ****ing panicking about Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757