Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a 50 / 50 chance that I walk away from football after this pandemic.

It all depends how it's dealt with but at the moment football is doing a great job of highlighting the level of ****ishness that it operates at.

Theres a 50 / 50 chance that I walk away from football after this pandemic.

It all depends how it's dealt with but at the moment football is doing a great job of highlighting the level of ****ishness that it operates at.

Any suggestion that this season isn't completed and another one commenced at some point is a complete ****ing farce. Player contracts and so forth need to be worked round. This season HAS to be completed.

Over and above this, a statement is needed 'from the top' about players, managers, agents, owners and so on in relation to a reduction in short-term wages to protect those at ALL clubs less fortunate.

We need to help the lower leagues NOW or our very structure and the foundation of this game may never recover.

I understand all of this 'but Johnny gives xxx to charity' I don't care, I want to know COLLECTIVELY that football gives a shit.

I'm with you Lako (can I rent your room for free you tight ****?)

Any suggestion that this season isn't completed and another one commenced at some point is a complete ****ing farce. Player contracts and so forth need to be worked round. This season HAS to be completed.

Over and above this, a statement is needed 'from the top' about players, managers, agents, owners and so on in relation to a reduction in short-term wages to protect those at ALL clubs less fortunate.

We need to help the lower leagues NOW or our very structure and the foundation of this game may never recover.

I understand all of this 'but Johnny gives xxx to charity' I don't care, I want to know COLLECTIVELY that football gives a shit.

I'm with you Lako (can I rent your room for free you tight ****?)
It's pretty obvious to me that this season will be declared null and void as if it never existed. Can't see any other outcome. This situation obviously isn't going to end anytime soon.

Take the Belgian solution and end the season now with the tables as they are. No relegation but bring up into the Premier League the top two in the Championship and run the following two seasons with four teams relegated and three promoted. Take the Premier League teams out of the Caraboa Cup for next season to give the space for the extra four games.

If we try to finish this season, all we will do is **** up two seasons. We should aim to start the new season at the beginning of September to give teams time to arrange themselves. That would also coincide with the end of the transfer window.

I would also propose that for the next three months, all salaries are capped at 20,000 per week across the board. Half of the money saved by the clubs should be used to pay the salaries of the non-playing staff, without the scandal of them going onto the Government scheme, which is designed to help businesses in real financial trouble. The other half should be pooled to help the lower league clubs who are the ones in real financial trouble.

This is the time for some real leadership, which is singularly missing from all parties at the moment. Oh, and by the way, this salary cap should also be applied to Gordon Taylor, or even better, cap his at £2.00 per week, which is about his worth.

Stay safe everyone

That was very different as they only had one game left in their season. Ours is nowhere near that stage.
They had a play-off waiting also. 10 more games there which could have altered CL-qualifications etc

Full statement:

At a meeting of Premier League Shareholders today, clubs discussed in detail how to respond to the COVID-19 global pandemic.

First and foremost, it was reaffirmed that the overriding priority is to aid the health and wellbeing of the nation and our communities, including players, coaches, managers, club staff and supporters.

Season restart
It was acknowledged that the Premier League will not resume at the beginning of May – and that the 2019/20 season will only return when it is safe and appropriate to do so.

The restart date is under constant review with all stakeholders, as the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic develops and we work together through this very challenging time.

The Premier League is working closely with the whole of professional football in this country, as well as with the Government, public agencies and other relevant stakeholders to ensure the game achieves a collaborative solution.

With this, there is a combined objective for all remaining domestic league and cup matches to be played, enabling us to maintain the integrity of each competition.

However, any return to play will only be with the full support of Government and when medical guidance allows.

The sporting and financial implications for Premier League clubs as well as for The FA, EFL and National League were considered at today’s meeting.

Consulting players
In the face of substantial and continuing losses for the 2019/20 season since the suspension of matches began, and to protect employment throughout the professional game, Premier League clubs unanimously agreed to consult their players regarding a combination of conditional reductions and deferrals amounting to 30 per cent of total annual remuneration.

This guidance will be kept under constant review as circumstances change.

The League will be in regular contact with the PFA and the union will join a meeting which will be held tomorrow between the League, players and club representatives.

Solidarity with clubs below PL
Discussions also took place regarding financial relief for clubs in the short term and while there is no single solution, measures are to be put in place to immediately deal with the impact of falling cash flow.

Critically, the League unanimously voted to advance funds of £125 million to the EFL and National League as it is aware of the severe difficulties clubs throughout the football pyramid are suffering at this time.

Supporting NHS
Further to that assistance, the League remains committed to supporting the National Health Service, its staff and helping people in communities, not least those who are most vulnerable.

The League, clubs, players and managers express huge appreciation for the heroic efforts of NHS staff and all other key workers who are carrying out critical jobs in such difficult circumstances.

In consultation with the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport, the Premier League is immediately committing £20 million to support the NHS, communities, families and vulnerable groups during the COVID-19 pandemic.

This includes a direct financial contribution to the NHS and funds to enable clubs to refocus their efforts and develop significant outreach programmes to help communities, including those most in need.

This funding will enable both immediate and longer-term support during the crisis.

This includes a direct financial contribution to the NHS and funds to enable clubs to refocus their efforts and develop significant outreach programmes to help communities, including those most in need.

This funding will enable both immediate and longer-term support during the crisis.

Supporting clubs’ community work
In response to COVID-19, Premier League clubs have been supporting tens of thousands of people in their communities each and every day through targeted activity including donations to foodbanks, telephone calls to the elderly, food parcels delivered to the vulnerable and a wide range of free resources to support wellbeing and education.

Many Premier League clubs are also working closely with their local NHS Trusts to provide valuable support through the provision of resources, volunteers and facilities.

Now, more than ever, clubs are playing a vital role to support the wellbeing of those in their communities and alleviate pressure on critical health services.

Promoting public health messages
Working closely with the Department of Health and Social Care, Public Health England and the NHS, the wide reach and appeal of the Premier League and our clubs will continue to be used to promote important public health messaging throughout this crisis.

The Premier League would like to reiterate that the thoughts of all our clubs are with all those directly affected by COVID-19.

Money is of course the biggest driving force, but I think it will be quite important to have something to look forward to once this is over.

Training and matches in empty stadiums, with special sports masks (which will need a little bit of research and MONEY) Matches to be screened free to fans could be financed by the rediculous money recieved from the rights fees.

Training and matches in empty stadiums, with special sports masks (which will need a little bit of research and MONEY) Matches to be screened free to fans could be financed by the rediculous money recieved from the rights fees.

Would be ****ing horrendous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758