Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to take a moment to reflect on the fact that the four most rabidly opinionated posters on here (me, homer, pop and Lako) are all in total agreement on this.

That can't have happened before.
Count me in! I may not be rabid but I desperately don't want anything to do with football without fans watching at the games. It's pathetic.

Taking the example of Watford. They have just had three people test positive. Their manager and captain are against returning, with Deeney saying he won't return to training.

What happens if they, as a club, just refuse to play on health grounds? I keep reading that nobody will be forced to return against their will.

Theoretically, our next game is against them. Would you be okay with us getting three points on the way to seeing Watford effectively relegated in their absence?

All it would take is for the notoriously single-minded Watford manager to make a stand and the whole shambles will collapse.

Even if a club came back severely restricted by missing personnel, is it okay for them to play fully fit teams?

I really can't get my head around it. There are so many reasons why it is so wrong.
Probably not enough on here these days to have a meaningful poll but I would love to know if there is a national one about whether fans are against or in favour of games behind closed doors.

So if the choice is no sports for 18 months or sports with serious restrictions on fan attendance, the consensus is no sports?

honestly, I’m struggling a bit to get my head around that one.
I wouldn’t worry, MA. There will be plenty of sports on your side of the pond.

Can anyone explain what BT and Sky are demanding of the League? Are they preparing to reimburse all their subscribers of their sports packages?

I just watched extended highlights of the Leicester 2 - 0 Arsenal match from earlier in the season. It was strange watching football again. I've not seen any football for probably a longer spell ever ever since I was about 6.

I then thought about what it would be like if there were no fans watching, cheering, chanting, ooo-ing, boo-ing, growning - you get the idea. Any way, I literally threw up the Sara Lee vanilla cheesecake I'd just scoffed at the thought of fanless football.

Now, you might think that's an over reaction but I'll tell you this for free...

I think they need to 'finish' the season. By that i mean a conclusion that doesn't necessarily include playing.

The season must be concluded or 3/4 of a season is written off. Liverpool must win the title (although i dislike them) and we must get a Champions League place.

If it means finishing this season behind closed doors to protect next season then that is teh lesser of two evils in my mind.

So if the choice is no sports for 18 months or sports with serious restrictions on fan attendance, the consensus is no sports?

It's not bothering me one bit. Hardly given it a thought and haven't missed it at all. After 50 days without I can easily go another 50 and another 50 after that if necessary.

It's not bothering me one bit. Hardly given it a thought and haven't missed it at all. After 50 days without I can easily go another 50 and another 50 after that if necessary.

anecdotal evidence is wonderful and genuinely, I’m happy for you.

However, in all practical reality sports in some form will be, and is, returning sooner rather than later.

Can anyone explain what BT and Sky are demanding of the League? Are they preparing to reimburse all their subscribers of their sports packages?
They already have I've got 2 months of credits from BT & Sky so I guess they will want to get their money back from the clubs if they don't get the games they paid for

its not just Sky and BT though, they might well think the bad publicity wouldn't be worth getting the money back but the vast majority of the TV money comes from outside of the UK, those companies will have no such fears and will no doubt want their money back

There are plenty of sports that can reasonably resume. Some cannot though and top level football is one of them. Watching Leicester City behind closed doors is completely meaningless to me.

I have no idea what proportion of fans would rather play without their involvement or wait until they can attend matches. It would be interesting to know. I'm quite happy to wait until the season can resume properly and continue from there. Whenever that is.

The annoying part for me is that the pro 'behind closed doors' brigade are getting the vast majority of the airtime because everyone involved in the game, directly or indirectly, have a vested interest in playing on.

There is no money in it for us so nobody gives a shit.

I'd much rather the FSA/Foxes Trust devoted their time to establishing what fans think of this issue than fecking VAR.

So what if clubs or TV companies lose millions of pounds? I think the game could do with having millions of pounds taken out of it. **** the advertisers and the TV companies, **** the agents and the management companies, **** the billion pound wages paid and, to some degree, **** the clubs that actually ceased being 'clubs' a long, long time ago. If these businesses have to reset their finances somewhat and the football transfer market has to come crashing back down to the realms of reality then the whole world of football will have to change and that can only be a good thing.

There are plenty of sports that can reasonably resume. Some cannot though and top level football is one of them. Watching Leicester City behind closed doors is completely meaningless to me.

I have no idea what proportion of fans would rather play without their involvement or wait until they can attend matches. It would be interesting to know. I'm quite happy to wait until the season can resume properly and continue from there. Whenever that is.

The annoying part for me is that the pro 'behind closed doors' brigade are getting the vast majority of the airtime because everyone involved in the game, directly or indirectly, have a vested interest in playing on.

There is no money in it for us so nobody gives a shit.

I'd much rather the FSA/Foxes Trust devoted their time to establishing what fans think of this issue than fecking VAR.
You're asking the Foxes Trust to do something useful and meaningful here; you poor deluded fool.

if football clubs lose millions of pounds and are forced to not play until fans can come back they simply will not survive, including Leicester, like it or not professional sport is a business, no one will force you to watch so if fans being there is a deal breaker for you don't watch

if football clubs lose millions of pounds and are forced to not play until fans can come back they simply will not survive, including Leicester, like it or not professional sport is a business, no one will force you to watch so if fans being there is a deal breaker for you don't watch

Don't believe the hype.

The only thing that would change is the people making fortunes out of football can't make quite as much for a while.

Everything else is propaganda peddled by those making the money.

Don't believe the hype.

The only thing that would change is the people making fortunes out of football can't make quite as much for a while.

Everything else is propaganda peddled by those making the money.
the only thing that would change? When loads of clubs got bust, including the one you support, will that make you change your mind?

So what if clubs or TV companies lose millions of pounds? I think the game could do with having millions of pounds taken out of it. **** the advertisers and the TV companies, **** the agents and the management companies, **** the billion pound wages paid and, to some degree, **** the clubs that actually ceased being 'clubs' a long, long time ago. If these businesses have to reset their finances somewhat and the football transfer market has to come crashing back down to the realms of reality then the whole world of football will have to change and that can only be a good thing.

If you think that money is coming out of the owners and agents pockets you are severely mistaken. Surely those living in England know how the rich and powerful apply austerity measures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757