Premier League suspended until April (or whenever?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There definitely seems to be a spike in cases which appear to have been as a result of the VE day commemoration parties. Why on earth we had to try and celebrate something more than half the country had never heard of is beyond comprehension. Just an excuse for a glorified piss up, some of which got badly out of hand with increased admissions to A&E departments. Madness.
This VE day thing seems strange to me, it was not celebrated to any degree in my town as far as I know. I don't know of anyone who did celebrate to be honest. Also, I can't see any evidence of an increase in cases, perhaps I'm missing something. The 7 day average of new cases since the 15th May has continued on a descent as far as I can see, the 15th being the earliest you would expect an effect to manifest itself. Perhaps it's my useless maths, but the rolling 7 day average of confirmed new cases has fallen from the 15th ( 3,621 ) to the 7 day average reported yesterday of 2,311. Of course many cases are not reported as we all know.

No, not ridiculous - just appreciative of a difficult situation. It's somewhat easier to point the finger and think/say what are the wrong things to do but a whole lot more difficult know what the right thing to do is and implement it - as illustrated by the different approaches taken by different countries, each with their own scientific advisers giving expert advice. And I'm not talking about the outliers either (Brazil for instance), I'm thinking more of Sweden and the like. Equally, each nation has it's own circumstances and there is no 'one size fits all' solution. People might agree a general approach but implementing that same approach in different nations is not equal. As I say, it's for each nation to perform their own balancing act - a balancing act I would also suggest is one between the views of the various experts and their relative areas of expertise.

Do I think the UK and Johnson are taking the right path? Hell no! I think the UK is in a potentially very dangerous situation at this point in time, and I really do not think that Johnson has got the balance right BUT I do acknowledge both the difficulty of finding the right path and of knowing with any degree of certainty that it'll be the least damaging one (however one determines 'damage')

Hindsight and history will teach us lessons and tell us the rights and wrongs, the winners and losers - as it always does.

But, just for the record and to make it clear, I am not defending Johnson here - I'm very critical of the approach being taken. I fear there's going to be a re-ignition of infections before you even get to a 2nd wave.

Be just our luck to actually win the ****er for the first time in our history , and none of us get to see it, other than by watching on the telly some soulless training match in a completely empty stadium

The FA Cup winners will do something like this I'd expect. Embarrassing, sad and utterly pointless.

The FA Cup winners will do something like this I'd expect. Embarrassing, sad and utterly pointless.

That is quality

The real joy is that Liverpool will have to that with the Premier League instead of dancing in front of their vile plastic fans

Something to look forward to

£330m to be paid back to the tv companies by the Premier League clubs. Liverpool and Spurs don’t want to have to pay back more than anyone else. I don’t see them complaining when they get more than most of the other clubs.

I think this is very odd. I see that Sky/BT are arguing that the product is not the one they bought and somehow they have a contract with the Premier League that enables them to say such a thing. They're actually getting more matches than they're contracted to show but for almost half price.

If I were a Premier League side, I'd be furious at this. So furious in fact that I'd hasten efforts to withdraw entirely from Sky/BT and into my own Netflix style product where I can charge less and make more.

It just feels to me like a really stupid thing for the TV companies to do. There has been a lot of talk about the Premier League taking over their own TV packages, and surely this decision is just going to push them towards this?

From Michael Deacon in today's Telegraph:

'Artificial crowd noise.

The pandemic certainly gives new meaning to that old favourite from the away end, “You’re supposed to be at home.” Perhaps the Government will insist on it being played continuously, as a piece of public service broadcasting.':)

I think this is very odd. I see that Sky/BT are arguing that the product is not the one they bought and somehow they have a contract with the Premier League that enables them to say such a thing. They're actually getting more matches than they're contracted to show but for almost half price.

If I were a Premier League side, I'd be furious at this. So furious in fact that I'd hasten efforts to withdraw entirely from Sky/BT and into my own Netflix style product where I can charge less and make more.

It just feels to me like a really stupid thing for the TV companies to do. There has been a lot of talk about the Premier League taking over their own TV packages, and surely this decision is just going to push them towards this?
Now that’s an interesting concept. Clubs broadcasting their own matches to get direct revenue?
And if LCFC were broadcasting their own, and other clubs their own, would anyone watch anyone other than their own team?
That is a dangerous idea and I wonder how long it takes to get some momentum BN

Now that’s an interesting concept. Clubs broadcasting their own matches to get direct revenue?
And if LCFC were broadcasting their own, and other clubs their own, would anyone watch anyone other than their own team?
That is a dangerous idea and I wonder how long it takes to get some momentum BN
it would be the same type of model as NFL game pass, you pay for the service then pick the game you want rather than just pick the club, that type of service is inevitable, Amazon already do a good job n the games they have shown

it would be the same type of model as NFL game pass, you pay for the service then pick the game you want rather than just pick the club, that type of service is inevitable, Amazon already do a good job n the games they have shown
NFL Game Pass is good.

Almost like everyone knows what's coming isn't it.....

I found the details about Kante more interesting. It seems that two agents pocketed over £10m from the sale to Chelsea. Makes me wonder what we actually received for him in the end and also softens my feeling about him leaving. Looks like his agents were never going to let him stay with that money available for them.
From Michael Deacon in today's Telegraph:

'Artificial crowd noise.

The pandemic certainly gives new meaning to that old favourite from the away end, “You’re supposed to be at home.” Perhaps the Government will insist on it being played continuously, as a piece of public service broadcasting.':)

I was thinking what songs to sing in a few weeks when we start up playing with no fans there.
One for starters.
You're not singing anymore
You're not singing any more

Can you hear the xxxxxxx sing noooo noooo
Can you hear the xxxxxxx sing noooo noooo
Can you hear the xxxxxxx sing
I can't hear a ****ing thing
Oh oh oh oh

If t.v money has to be paid back then surely it should be based on percentages of how much you received, so if Lcfc & Spuds received more they then pay back more, simples.

Martin Tyler to change his "and it's live" to "and it's shite" is one of the conditions to the return I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757