Puel out

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'good players go shit for larks' theory is not one that I have any time for.

I respect them all as professionals. However, they are all intermittently affected by varying levels of confidence, form and motivation. You know, just like all human beings are.

It is the managers job to maintain the highest level of performance possible from each individual. They do this with their interpersonal skills, their tactical and motivational abilities, and their command of a collective drive to achieve a shared goal.

Very few managers are good at all of the above. Very few can even sustain periods of being good at most of the above. That's because most managers are pretty terrible at their jobs.

Two years ago, we saw what is possible when a manager gets it all just right. However, Ranieri had never really done it before or since. Shakespeare was never going to achieve it because he hasn't even got the basic skills to be a manager.

Puel has only shown any aptitude for having a coherent tactical approach. It's a stupid one that is doomed to fail but he does have one. In every other important respect, he's completely hopeless.
I would ROLF but am a little tired, would a LOLZ suffice just this once please?

As much as it is frustrating Puel should be given a fair crack of the whip lets wait and see who he recruits and how we fair next season. He is trying to develop a style of play of which some of the players do not have the technical ability to do, Simpson and Morgan fit into that category on another note has Huth been fit for a while?

As much as it is frustrating Puel should be given a fair crack of the whip lets wait and see who he recruits and how we fair next season. He is trying to develop a style of play of which some of the players do not have the technical ability to do, Simpson and Morgan fit into that category on another note has Huth been fit for a while?

He's had over six months, already, and one full transfer window

Instead of assessing his squad and trying to find the very best way to knit them together and get the best out of them, he's tried to impose an approach to football that simply doesn't suit them, that some of them seem not to understand, and that has actually destroyed what some players are capable of doing best - Vardy, Simpson and Mahrez being the obvious examples

The man is a complete idiot

Instead of assessing his squad and trying to find the very best way to knit them together and get the best out of them, he's tried to impose an approach to football that simply doesn't suit them, that some of them seem not to understand, and that has actually destroyed what some players are capable of doing best - Vardy, Simpson and Mahrez being the obvious examples

Homer

Simpson is just not good enough

An interesting sidebar to all of this for me is that despite us having hit serious levels of under performance under 3 successive managers now, theres been nothing like as much criticism levelled at the players as there probably should be.

Probably not unconnected with the shipping off on loan or indisposition through injury of the usual suspects who were getting it in the neck after the dead cat bounce of October/November faded. I still struggle to blame Puel for much of the many chronic failings of the team in the last few months - inability to defend corners and set pieces, lack of trust in a 'keeper whose decision making over punching (the ball), distribution and the sweeper duties are increasingly random, and my personal bugbear, the cheap giving away of possession in dangerous areas (which currently comprises the whole pitch, not just our half). We work really hard but tend to produce fewer, poorer quality chances than previously, over reliant on our two stars to convert this base metal into gold. Puel can be rightly blamed for some but not all of this.

Exactly. It’s almost as if he thinks that managers outlast players.

This whole sorry episode smacks of Crystal Palace and Frank De Boer.

Probably not unconnected with the shipping off on loan or indisposition through injury of the usual suspects who were getting it in the neck after the dead cat bounce of October/November faded. I still struggle to blame Puel for much of the many chronic failings of the team in the last few months - inability to defend corners and set pieces, lack of trust in a 'keeper whose decision making over punching (the ball), distribution and the sweeper duties are increasingly random, and my personal bugbear, the cheap giving away of possession in dangerous areas (which currently comprises the whole pitch, not just our half). We work really hard but tend to produce fewer, poorer quality chances than previously, over reliant on our two stars to convert this base metal into gold. Puel can be rightly blamed for some but not all of this.

See it’s interesting, I think the burden of that, particularly the set pieces and Kaspers form, almost entirely at Puels feet. It’s clear our set piece planning is insufficient.

See it’s interesting, I think the burden of that, particularly the set pieces and Kaspers form, almost entirely at Puels feet. It’s clear our set piece planning is insufficient.
our set piece has been piss poor all season! The Jury is still out for me I say give him to xmas next year if we have not improved then move him on he needs time with his team before we can make judgement, the players either adapt or move on I get what Puel is trying to do the players are not delivering does this sit with Puel? In part yes however, we need to buy players who can play his style.

In part yes however, we need to buy players who can play his style.
Should we change the entire squad of players every time a new manager comes in with a new set of ideas and style of play?

What I find frustrating about Puel is that, as already mentioned, he wants to play a different system, but with players unfit/unsuited to that system.

I see no problem with during training, he tries out new tactics or systems, but on match days, we predominate with a style that we are currently best with.

2 years ago, we were rock solid at the back. In fact, at the end of last season and beginning of this, Morgan was playing as well as he had done 2 years ago. Losing Huth to injury was a big blow.

Personally, I would start with 'style' changes from the front. Vardy is obviously far and away our best striker, so whatever tactical change Puel wants should be slowly introduced there, and work backwards through the midfield, with the defence the last to be asked to change.

I think trying to make the whole of the existing squad change style is a mistake. Play to their existing strengths, instead of exposing their weaknesses on match days.

Simpson, Morgan and Fuchs have not become 'crap' overnight. Chilwell is currently crap as a left back, so do not play him there yet when you still have a better more experienced option in Fuchs available.

Maguire is obviously our centre back for the future with his ability to take the ball forward and two years ago we were great at quickly moving the ball forward with our defenders up to the halfway line as we pressed forward in numbers. Of course we also had Ngolo Kante to break up any quick response by the opposition!

What I find frustrating about Puel is that, as already mentioned, he wants to play a different system, but with players unfit/unsuited to that system.

I see no problem with during training, he tries out new tactics or systems, but on match days, we predominate with a style that we are currently best with.

2 years ago, we were rock solid at the back. In fact, at the end of last season and beginning of this, Morgan was playing as well as he had done 2 years ago. Losing Huth to injury was a big blow.

Personally, I would start with 'style' changes from the front. Vardy is obviously far and away our best striker, so whatever tactical change Puel wants should be slowly introduced there, and work backwards through the midfield, with the defence the last to be asked to change.

I think trying to make the whole of the existing squad change style is a mistake. Play to their existing strengths, instead of exposing their weaknesses on match days.

I may be the only person who has this view however, Morgan has been a liability for a while it was Huth in our title winning season who kept him in check. Morgan continually rushes into the midfield leaving a gaping whole in the back four this was highlighted in our defeat to Chelsea in the Cup. I agree wholeheartedly with your point about Chilwell and in the decision to drastically change our style of play, I think Puel has done it because we struggle to beat sides who park the bus the problem is under the current style of play we have players who can not move the ball quick enough and we do not have a partner for Vardy who is capable of linking the attack together.

People are talking as though Puel took over a team that was playing well, he didn't, he took over a desperately poor team that was on a downward spiral and looked in real danger of relegation.

Puel secured our safety and has set about transforming the team. Compared to the team he took over we enjoy much more possession, create more quality chances and conceed less from set pieces.

Before Puel we would spend most of games being walked all over and desperately defending our own 18 yard box. That has been replaced by us actually having the ball. It may be sideways passes but it's a step up from wild clearances.

I understand that some people don't like his style, and maybe can't see or don't agree with where he is trying to take us, but don't pretend like Puel inherited a fantastic fast attacking team with amazing players and has spoiled things. The reality of our situation when Puel took over was very different.

He has to get the best results from the players he has available to him.

Aye, this. We've had enough time with the experiment to see it's not working with this bunch so why keep going? If we're to keep Puel we should play a style closer to what suits these players for now. Europe may have been a possibility had we tried that. He could then bin them all in the summer and bring in players who could fit his style. The select few players who aren't awful at the moment may be off to better clubs in the summer anyway.

Should we change the entire squad of players every time a new manager comes in with a new set of ideas and style of play?

Perhaps not, but the old style had clearly become ineffective and therefore it had to be changed. As a squad our players have firstly been reluctant to change and now seem unable to change. They have to bear some responsibility for that.

Aye, this. We've had enough time with the experiment to see it's not working with this bunch so why keep going? If we're to keep Puel we should play a style closer to what suits these players for now. Europe may have been a possibility had we tried that. He could then bin them all in the summer and bring in players who could fit his style. The select few players who aren't awful at the moment may be off to better clubs in the summer anyway.

Yes. Surely everyone can see the lack of judgement in slavishly insisting that the players continue to fail because they can't play to the style that Puel wants. The results are very poor and the displays even worse. This isn't a guy who can be trusted to steer the club's transfer strategy. Sadly, the only hope is that the players continue to be ineffective till the end of the season and that the penny with the owners drops and that Puel, as a result, has to move back to France where he can continue to perform wonders but in his own more comfortable environment.

Yes. Surely everyone can see the lack of judgement in slavishly insisting that the players continue to fail because they can't play to the style that Puel wants. The results are very poor and the displays even worse. This isn't a guy who can be trusted to steer the club's transfer strategy. Sadly, the only hope is that the players continue to be ineffective till the end of the season and that the penny with the owners drops and that Puel, as a result, has to move back to France where he can continue to perform wonders but in his own more comfortable environment.
And then what? We bring in another manager who (if he has a brain) sees the same as CR and CP and tries to change the style of play only to hit the same wall?

So, just stick with it and keep flogging a dead horse?

Surely someone has to back the manager and give him 12+ months to change what he sees fit and then get the results?

We are in danger of continually knee jerking into giving in to the players and their lack of ability/willingness to change?

To me, so long as we hang on to Vardy plus a couple of others then if the rest are unwilling to adapt then they can leave AHEAD of Puel for me.

We are now at a critical point to make a very important and perhaps look term decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757