Qualifying for Europa League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Nose

Now that we're 7th and playing well, I was trying to work out whether finishing there would be sufficient to get a Europa League place or not.

It appears to be very complicated.

Firstly, if Watford beat Man City in the FA Cup final, they will get the final European place so finishing 7th becomes irrelevant. Therefore, even if we finish 7th at the end of the season, we won't know whether that means European football or not until the FA Cup final is played out.

If Man City win the FA Cup, the 7th placed side will get the final place. However, there is also a complication relating to the Champions League. If an English team finishes outside the top four and wins the Champions League (i.e. Spurs or Man Utd), a couple of things I've read suggest that we lose a Europa League place. Anyone know this for sure? This would again mean that finishing 7th gets nothing.

If we did qualify for the Europa League, there is the added question of whether we'd have to play really early on. The rules seem to suggest that the final English side in the Europa League go in at the third qualifying round. This seems to be one round later than Burnley joined this season. Again, I don't really get this. It may be down to coefficients which would be good for us following our Champions League quarter final appearance in 2017. It might not though. It's very confusing.

If we did enter at the third qualifying stage, the games are 8th/15th August and 22nd/29th August and then it's into the Group Stage. If we did have to play the second qualifying round, that takes place 25th July and 1st August.

As I understand it we would lose a Europa league spot if Arsenal or Chelsea win the Europa, if someone wins the CL and finishes out of the top 4 the 4th side drop into the Europa

Firstly, if Watford beat Man City in the FA Cup final, they will get the final European place so finishing 7th becomes irrelevant. Therefore, even if we finish 7th at the end of the season, we won't know whether that means European football or not until the FA Cup final is played out.

If Man City win the FA Cup, the 7th placed side will get the final place. However, there is also a complication relating to the Champions League. If an English team finishes outside the top four and wins the Champions League (i.e. Spurs or Man Utd), a couple of things I've read suggest that we lose a Europa League place. Anyone know this for sure? This would again mean that finishing 7th gets nothing.
We lose a Europa League place because there’s an extra Champions League place. It wouldn’t reduce our places in European competition.

So finishing 7th is definitely good enough if Man City beat Watford in the FA Cup final.

Does anyone know what stage we'd enter the Europa League?

Dammit - was going to root for Watford in the FA Cup final but now I'll have to hope Man City win.

What happens if Watford win the cup and finish 7th?

With our run in, and how close it is, I’d be pretty surprised if we’re able to finish 7th.

Would be one hell of an achievement if we did.

If they win the cup it doesn't matter where they finish in the league. They're in the Europa League, and we're not.
Of course.......:rolleyes:. Everyone please ignore my post three above this one

So, it's a bit premature to be booking a hotel in Gdansk for the 27th May 2020 final.

Just the 21 matches to win it.

With no World Cup or Euros this summer, we should have most players back in training at the start of July, so playing a competitive game towards the end of July shouldn't be a problem.

We'll probably be missing a few players though. The Afcon final is on 19/7, and Under 21s Euros finish on 30/6.
Does that mean we will be without Nacho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757