Qualifying for Europa League?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Manchester United win the champions league and finish fifth or lower, that's five English teams in the Champions league. If Arsenal or Chelsea win the Europa League and finish seventh or lower, what happens then? If Watford finish 8th or lower and lose the FA Cup final, does this create a black hole?

If Manchester United win the champions league and finish fifth or lower, that's five English teams in the Champions league. If Arsenal or Chelsea win the Europa League and finish seventh or lower, what happens then? If Watford finish 8th or lower and lose the FA Cup final, does this create a black hole?

Look at the league table.

Chelsea can't finish lower than 6th.

Arsenal could finish 7th - if they get no more than one point between now and the end of the season. And if that happens, Watford will finish in the top 6 because they're the only team that can overtake Arsenal. So Watford would qualify for the Europa League.

Who would have thought that after Friday night

Nobody wants it

Better than spud u like I guess. And, speaking personally, there isn't one... 'cepting praps Eriksen, he's alright.

The way I see our games at the moment is Buck should be taking these as assessment opportunities (lets face it Europe isn't going to happen)

Never thought I'd say this, and I feel a bit dirty for saying this, but I'm very unsure it would be good if Europe did happen. I'm not putting the boot into the Europa League as some do - I think it's a good competition and winning it or going deep would indeed be great - but the prospect doesn't appear to particularly inspire the players and the earlier competitive start and extra games really don't seem to be beneficial to English clubs without strong squads, which I'm sure has a lot to do with the sheer intensity of most PL games. Given that we remain in a transitional period I suspect that our league form would suffer. The argument that we could attract better players has some merit but not much imo - PL riches mean that we should be able to go for pretty much any player not being chased by CL teams and the same is true of most other PL clubs too. I actually think that players having seen that if they impress they can get moves to the elite richbastards like Kante and Mahrez did is more likely to be attractive to the ambitious foreign player.

(I should admit that I'm no longer an active matchgoer, and obviously I completely understand fans who want Europe because they want to go to those games)

Didn't see today but I find it encouraging that we should rescue a point from a match where we apparently didn't play well and fell behind very late.

Well the Europa League now looking much less likely. As much as I am happy to see Manure drop points, it means Everton have pinched 7th place and pushed us down to 9th.

No bad thing missing out on the Europa League this year. Gives us a full preseason under BR and a chance to build further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757