Qualifying for Europa League?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care whether we qualify or not although I'm rather glad it is now unlikely because it would be too soon in our development under Rodgers.

Like Jeff, I see no reason why we can't get 9 points from the last 3 games.

I can see the back pages headlines now. 'BRENDAN WINS IT FOR LIVERPOOL!'

It would be nice to get Europa League, but it does have a detrimental effect on so many teams - particularly the teams who scrape into that last slot.

The positives are that it's European football, we would've achieved our goal for the season, and it may attract a better quality of player.

But at the same time, I think I'd rather Rodgers has the chance to rebuild/reshape the team as he sees necessary without having the added complexity of a lot of midweek games in the far corners of Europe to contend with (that IMO is the far bigger issue than the earlier start to the season, as these would just replace pre-season games).

I think for the long term good of the club and Rodgers' time here, not getting into the Europa League this year could be a blessing. But it has to be the goal for next season.

Without any signings in the summer, and taking out those out of contract players this summer, we already have well over two per position:

Schmeichel / Ward / Jakupovic
Ricardo / Amartey
Morgan / Maguire / Soyuncu / Evans / Benkovic
Chilwell / Elder
Ndidi / Mendy / Choudhury / James / King / Silva / Maddison
Gray / Diabate / Ghezzal / Barnes / Albrighton / Kapustka
Vardy / Iheanacho / Slimani

And that doesn't include the U23 players that are/have been close to the first team such as Johnson, Knight, etc.

I think we already have a European style sized squad. It's far too big for a team not in Europe.

Are you ignoring the fact that half of that list are pretty useless?

We'd have to sign more, better quality players if we were to qualify for the Europa League and wanted to do anything in it. And if we don't, what's the point of being there? The one advantage though is that it might make a better proposition for a new 2nd choice striker, as at least we could offer them the EL games and not just a bit part player behind Vardy.

Another question.

If we ended up level on points with Wolves at the end of the season, with the same goal difference and goals scored, would we have to wait for the FA Cup final to be played and if Man City win it, then we'd have to have a play off against Wolves for the final Europa League place?

Another question.

If we ended up level on points with Wolves at the end of the season, with the same goal difference and goals scored, would we have to wait for the FA Cup final to be played and if Man City win it, then we'd have to have a play off against Wolves for the final Europa League place?
Premier League handbook states:

C.17.
If at the end of the Season either the League Champions or the Clubs to be relegated or the question of qualification for other competitions cannot be determined because two or more Clubs are equal on points, goal difference and goals scored, the Clubs concerned shall play off one or more deciding League Matches on neutral grounds, the format, timing and venue of which shall be determined by the Board.

Everton 2-0 up we’re down to 9th as it stands

Wolves 1 up against Fulham 6 point gap to 7th

He wasn't picked for the last Nigeria squad, and the manager criticised his attitude.
would be good to get him away for a while and maybe get some minutes under his belt

It is bad enough to have a poor attitude when you are playing well. To have a bad attitude when you are playing badly is far worse.

There are players in League 2 giving everything for their club. They would love to get the chance to play in the Premier League.

Bill Shankly said it well

Like bigmac I feel it would be good to get him away for a while; a long term contract with Leeds would be perfect.

Given that the CL final is two English sides, if Man City win the FA Cup and either Arsenal or Chelsea win Europa. Does that mean 8th or 9th might even get in to the Europa League this year?

Given that the CL final is two English sides, if Man City win the FA Cup and either Arsenal or Chelsea win Europa. Does that mean 8th or 9th might even get in to the Europa League this year?
No.

All that’s well and fine. But can we qualify through the play-offs? And can we re-call Joey back for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757