Rebuilding the squad

Which way should we go?

• Quick fix, go for promotion, don't worry about the future

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Smith

We have all had our say on Micky's rebuild but what are we in favour of?

Who says if we go for a quick fix, we would achieve promotion?

Who says if we attempt to rebuild, we won't get promotion?

It such a difficult one to answer. I personally believe we need to look to the future. If we always keep looking for the 'quick fix', then we are not going to progress as a club. It may take us a few years to get back up if we attempt to rebuild, but in the long run, it will be better for us.

Scowster, I'm not saying that we would defo get promotion with a bunch of 'old pro's' but it would certainly give us a better chance than throwing in loads of raw talent. I am concerned! :?

Bobby Smith said:
Scowster, I'm not saying that we would defo get promotion with a bunch of 'old pro's' but it would certainly give us a better chance than throwing in loads of raw talent. I am concerned! :?

I think alot of us are concerned. However, Micky has indicated he is looking for a mix of experience and youth to compliment his team next season. Last season, we looked specifically for experience in order to give us the best chance in staying up. Next season, it's all about starting again and rebuilding the squad.

If we were going to look for a quick fix, we would have kept the likes of Davidson, Guppy, Billy Mac and Freund. However, what he has recognised is that these players are not part of our future at the club. If we get promotion next time, the point is, these players would be past it and no where near good enough to compete in the Premiership again. It looks concerning at the moment because we have such a thin squad, however, let's give Micky a chance to bring some new faces in before assessing how we're going to do. I believe that he will bring in players that will give us a strong chance of promotion, while bringing in some youth. Micky and Bassett have probably already identified targets, and are already in the process of bringing players in.

The difference between last season and next season is that Basset and Micky know what type of player is required to make us competitive in this division. The Premiership was different - Bassett, and to a certain extent Micky have been failures in that league. What will happen is that Micky will analyse his shortfalls from this season, and if we do get promotion, he will be better for it.

I'm looking forward to next season - It certainly will be interesting, and I think some are going overboard with worry at the moment, just like some are predicting us to get promotion at a canter.

Scowcroft said:

It such a difficult one to answer. I personally believe we need to look to the future. If we always keep looking for the 'quick fix', then we are not going to progress as a club. It may take us a few years to get back up if we attempt to rebuild, but in the long run, it will be better for us.

First lets look at a near certainty -we will be going into nexr season with a
weaker squad than the promoted squad. I say that because we look to be more or less skint.

If we happened to get promoted through another patch up job -then we're more or less certain to come straight back down -because decent Prem class players are not going to buy that scenario.

So much better to try to bring on some younger players who will improve -& be without the cynicsm of the old professionals who don't want to know - mix in one or two oldies for a bit & give us a fresh start.

Scowcroft said:

Both your posts are spot on scowy.

Up up up up up up - nothing else, I think we should not kid ourselves, this is a Premiership club in every way bar the quality on a few parts of the pitch....lets fix that and go up MA, come on lad....come on.

Re-building, investing in youth is great and importane, but the best long term way of doing that is in the premier, 1 season gives an extra revenue of around 10mill. So i think he should get as many young players for the future as he can but a few experienced one season wonders wont do any harm.

Just watched the div1 highlights dvd, if trev plays like that he will be big for us this year.

Scowcroft said:

By the looks of what Mickey Adams is doing it seems to me that he is looking towards the future. He's already done a quick fix but that never worked. I think he is now going to bring younsters into the club, even if we dotn get promoted next year we can still give these youngsters (if he brings any in) experience in the game.

He must no what he's doing.

Quick fix, like a cigarette.

rotherhamfox said:
Malf said:
Joe_Fox said:
Quick fix, like a cigarette.

Or crossing your legs.

Or if your legs are open, crisp packet.

Rov, you're obsessed with this snack orientated contraception aren't you!

Not only should we take this opportunity to re-build the team but to change the playing philosophy at the club. Apart from a brief period when Taylor was at the club we havent moved forward as a playing side since the MON days. By that I mean how we attack and how we adapt to the strengths of different teams.

People on here may slag off Taylor for his buys (and rightly so) but he was at least trying to drag the tactics into the 21st century. The players at Leicester at the time were just not up to it.

I'm sure the majority of Leicester fans would sooner watch a neat passing style of play carving defences open with delightful through passes and flicks rather than Walker to Scowcroft's head onto Dickov to attempt a shot. Fair enough last season we had to play to our strengths (Ferdinand) and so a certain amount of hoof was acceptable but it doesnt work at the highest level.

Now is a perfect chance for MA to buy a group of young, technical players and develop them (by giving them 1st team action) into a team capable of competing in the Premiership - by competing I mean mid-table. But will MA be brave enough ?

Wellard said:
Not only should we take this opportunity to re-build the team but to change the playing philosophy at the club. Apart from a brief period when Taylor was at the club we havent moved forward as a playing side since the MON days. By that I mean how we attack and how we adapt to the strengths of different teams.

People on here may slag off Taylor for his buys (and rightly so) but he was at least trying to drag the tactics into the 21st century. The players at Leicester at the time were just not up to it.

I'm sure the majority of Leicester fans would sooner watch a neat passing style of play carving defences open with delightful through passes and flicks rather than Walker to Scowcroft's head onto Dickov to attempt a shot. Fair enough last season we had to play to our strengths (Ferdinand) and so a certain amount of hoof was acceptable but it doesnt work at the highest level.

Now is a perfect chance for MA to buy a group of young, technical players and develop them (by giving them 1st team action) into a team capable of competing in the Premiership - by competing I mean mid-table. But will MA be brave enough ?

5 lovely posts from Wellard, agree with you. Not keen on the Taylor comments, if we did pass well under Taylor it wasn't Taylor's doing that will of just been an accident! Come on City, let's have a breath of fresh air.

Taylor had a more modern European outlook on training and tactics. I remember him explaining to radio Leicester his tactics for the forthcoming season which was a 4-3-3 in attack and 4-5-1 in defence. It sounded brilliant in theory but then we played Bolton and lost 5-0. :x :x

Wellard said:
Taylor had a more modern European outlook on training and tactics. I remember him explaining to radio Leicester his tactics for the forthcoming season which was a 4-3-3 in attack and 4-5-1 in defence. It sounded brilliant in theory but then we played Bolton and lost 5-0. :x :x

Just ruined your own argument for doing that again aint ya. Under taylor we were boring and shit!!!!

Babylon said:
Wellard said:

Just ruined your own argument for doing that again aint ya. Under taylor we were boring and shit!!!!

Players weren't up to it as I said.

Wellard said:
Babylon said:
Wellard said:

Players weren't up to it as I said.

he had the same team as o'neil excpet for heskey and then lennon (two excellent players i know). They were his buys so it's his fault... tactics smactics he was wank simple as.

Even when we were top of the league under Taylor we played shite football.

MON's team by design are direct and high tempo, we weren't the prettiest team in the world and neither are Celtic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757