• Give Rodgers ten more games and then reassess

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • Give Rodgers the rest of the season

Votes: 17 47.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
You really do hate him don’t you? You can’t even bring yourself to see and admit what an incredible managerial turnaround this is?
Yeah I can’t stand the bloke. He has damaged his reputation here and at best I’ll be able to just about tolerate him.

I’m gonna give it a few more matches before I call it an incredible managerial turnaround. I’m not quite as fickle as you and others.

By no means out of the woods yet and he certainly has a gift for self-immolation. I expect more twists and turns. The turnaround has certainly been encouraging but we are still 1-2 bad results away from being in the bottom - and while I’ve seen some properly shit teams, I don’t think it’s easy to pick out three obvious relegation candidates - an established club is likely for the drop - and that concerns me.

He will never properly restore his reputation with some fans after his conduct this summer and in the early part of the season. But listen, 40 points will do me.

We're 2 points above the relegation Zone. Recent results are encouraging but we are still far short of where we should expect to be.
How dare you be negative. Only positive stuff about the great messiah and the amazing turnaround by beating the leagues fodder.

Fickle ****ers.

There is no way that Rodgers will ever 'step down'. His contract is too good and he won't go unless it is with full compensation (i.e. sacked).

There are no more than a handful of clubs in world football that would be able to match his salary and ego. That means that we're as stuck with him as he is with us.

It's very difficult to see where he goes after us unless he can restore his reputation. His only 'progressive' options would require him to be doing better than he is at the moment. That means that he needs one of these clubs to be on the lookout for a new manager just when he's at a high. Very unlikely that both will occur at the same time.

If he has been wise enough to reflect on his own attitude and behaviour over recent months, it would have been obvious to him that he needed to grow up and repair here or his career would suffer.

Much now depends on just how horrific our finances are and what King Power intend to do. I suspect that they are open to selling (Keiron Maguire said that a PL club owned from Asia (not China) were for sale). I think that brakes being slammed onto spending can only really mean that they want out.

Summer 2023 sees a massive reduction in players and wages. It's an ideal opportunity to reset. I doubt that Rodgers will be that keen on it all but he may well accept that it's his best option and he might as well get on with it here. Unless of course new owners come in and dump him (which many new owners do with in post managers).
If someone else buys the club, does the statue of Vichai stay?
Genuine question.

Rodgers was patting himself on the back yesterday saying something along the lines of 'you have no idea how hard the close season was here' when he was interviewed on 5live.

Wolves have shown it's hard to upgrade in terms of managers at the moment. End of the season would be the perfect time for him to go, but we have to be open to him leaving at any time, because 3-4 bad results and we could be in big trouble.

How dare you be negative. Only positive stuff about the great messiah and the amazing turnaround by beating the leagues fodder.

Fickle ****ers.
And you can't see the chasm between those two stances?

Some may be purring too much but you along with a couple of others are overtly and unrelentingly negative about everything, even of late when we have been, undeniably, much, much better.

There's a middle ground.

There is no way that Rodgers will ever 'step down'. His contract is too good and he won't go unless it is with full compensation (i.e. sacked).

There are no more than a handful of clubs in world football that would be able to match his salary and ego. That means that we're as stuck with him as he is with us.

It's very difficult to see where he goes after us unless he can restore his reputation. His only 'progressive' options would require him to be doing better than he is at the moment. That means that he needs one of these clubs to be on the lookout for a new manager just when he's at a high. Very unlikely that both will occur at the same time.

If he has been wise enough to reflect on his own attitude and behaviour over recent months, it would have been obvious to him that he needed to grow up and repair here or his career would suffer.

Much now depends on just how horrific our finances are and what King Power intend to do. I suspect that they are open to selling (Keiron Maguire said that a PL club owned from Asia (not China) were for sale). I think that brakes being slammed onto spending can only really mean that they want out.

Summer 2023 sees a massive reduction in players and wages. It's an ideal opportunity to reset. I doubt that Rodgers will be that keen on it all but he may well accept that it's his best option and he might as well get on with it here. Unless of course new owners come in and dump him (which many new owners do with in post managers).
Or, this 'we don't have a pot to piss in' mantra is probably not true.

Probably.

And you can't see the chasm between those two stances?

Some may be purring too much but you along with a couple of others are overtly and unrelentingly negative about everything, even of late when we have been, undeniably, much, much better.

There's a middle ground.
Don't be daft. City fan is negative for good! I even thought Rodgers was done at Leicester but my god we look so much better right now. We have acquired an outstanding centre back and we have a midfield and attack full of goals. We may still find it tricky over the next few games but we are a totally different animal to a few weeks back.

...It's very difficult to see where he goes after us unless he can restore his reputation. His only 'progressive' options would require him to be doing better than he is at the moment. That means that he needs one of these clubs to be on the lookout for a new manager just when he's at a high. Very unlikely that both will occur at the same time...
As I said in a different thread, if Conte leaves Spurs when his contract is up at the end of the season I can see Rodgers going to them.

If we do survive this season then I think some would have to wind their neck in and give Top some credit for not sacking BR.

If we do survive this season then I think some would have to wind their neck in and give Top some credit for not sacking BR.
Including yourself I presume?

Whatever it is, I like it. Maybe it will last, maybe it won’t, maybe it’s some very good players getting their shit together.

That Barnes goal had me bouncing around the living room singing ‘oh what joy it is to see Leicester win away’ with my boy (teething, up late with his dad and ****ing furious)

Including yourself I presume?
I never fully extended my neck out in the first place. I did get on the sack BR wagon at some stage of course as it was getting ridiculous.

Hold on, let's not get ahead of ourselves. I don't think there's a poster on this forum that would have accepted finishing 17th this season and surviving on the last day.

The basics haven't changed, despite the turn around in performance, attitude and results.
  • We have a squad that is capable of better than 14 points from 14 games. So we're currently underachieving.
  • At least some of the trouble in the close season and early part of this season, was caused by Rodgers quite obviously 'going to war' with the club, when he had expressly said he wouldn't.
  • He's further reduced the size of the squad by totally falling out with players, including Cags, who was in the PFA team of the year just 18 months ago.
  • The team obviously started the season unfit.
So yeah, we're now in a position where the immediate need to sack Rodgers has subsided, but lets not start suggesting that we've had a good season to date. Credit will only be due (IMO), if we finish top half.

What a bizarre season we are having. In my opinion we have generally started games fairly well, giving me the hope that we could be looking at a positive season, only to have the hope ripped away by what I generally saw as a lack of confidence in the first 5/6 games.

This led me to look at the 'half time' league table. Having done so I'm not sure whether this has given me more confidence or left me more demoralised by the 'what might have been'.

Arsenal
13​
9​
3​
1​
14​
3​
+11​
Newcastle Utd
14​
8​
5​
1​
13​
2​
+11​
Manchester City
13​
7​
4​
2​
19​
5​
+14​
Leicester City
14​
6​
6​
2​
14​
7​
+7​
Tottenham
14​
5​
5​
4​
9​
10​
-1​
Manchester Utd
13​
5​
4​
4​
7​
13​
-6​
Brighton
13​
4​
6​
3​
12​
9​
+3​
Chelsea
13​
4​
6​
3​
6​
8​
-2​
Aston Villa
14​
4​
5​
5​
9​
8​
+1​
Crystal Palace
13​
3​
7​
3​
8​
7​
+1​
Fulham
14​
3​
7​
4​
8​
11​
-3​
Wolverhampton
14​
3​
7​
4​
6​
9​
-3​
Nottm Forest
14​
3​
7​
4​
6​
10​
-4​
Everton
14​
3​
6​
5​
4​
6​
-2​
Bournemouth
14​
4​
3​
7​
6​
17​
-11​
Brentford
14​
3​
5​
6​
9​
13​
-4​
Liverpool
13​
3​
4​
6​
11​
9​
+2​
Southampton
14​
3​
4​
7​
5​
10​
-5​
West Ham Utd
14​
2​
5​
7​
4​
9​
-5​
Leeds Utd
13​
1​
7​
5​
8​
12​
-4​

What a bizarre season we are having. In my opinion we have generally started games fairly well...

This led me to look at the 'half time' league table.

Leicester City
14​
6​
6​
2​
14​
7​
+7​
If you work out the second half table, please keep it to yourself!

Fair play Brendan, you've made us all look like a right bunch of twats.

I still maintain that your dummy out of the pram act cost us several points this season. However, the facts speak for themselves. Nobody could have come in and done better than you've done over the last 8 PL matches.

After 7 games, we had 1 point and had conceded 22 goals.

After 15 games, we have 17 points and have conceded a total of 25 goals.

Pld8 W5 D1 L2 F15 A3 P16

Despite awful capitulations early in the season, our goal difference is now level. We've gone from rock bottom to mid table. We're the same number of points away from 7th as we are the bottom 3.

Respect due.

Absolutely, the turnaround has been remarkable. It has coincided with him winding his lip back in.

Hopefully a lesson learned for him (I do doubt that).

Our current form is absolutely superb. The fact we have conceded so few goals is hard to explain.

Well done Brendan - there is still work to do to but what a run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757