Rodgers future...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me, you stick with Brendan. I don’t see any good in making yet another change. We need to build and unfortunately the recruitment has been lacking. I think if key injuries don’t happen then this drop in form doesn’t follow. The drop in yesterday’s performance has far less to do with Praet coming on but far more in confidence boosting and draining in the two sides.
Ihenacho off was the right thing to do, unfortunately it highlights how short we are up front. We've also lost our three most creative players in the full backs and Maddison and now one of our best CBs in Soyuncu, who isn't getting nearly enough blame for his part. Add to that the loss of Albrighton, another creative player and it's almost the opposite of what happened during the title winning season.

Having had time to calm down and reflect on Sunday, I don't think Rodgers should be replaced. Despite the ****wittery of the substitution at half-time and many other recent baffling decisions, he's got enough credit in the bank to see this through. So much of what happened in that game was down to poor decision making by the players, not decisions made by the manager.

However - should he go, I think we could do much worse than going for Hasenhuttl. Look how Southampton have come back from the worse drubbing of their lives to be one of the divisions form sides. Don't like them, but got to give him a lot of credit for that. PLUS - there's an added bonus. The Saints fans have a thing about Liverpool because they've nicked a lot of their best players and they have a great song that goes something like:

Jurgen's wife's a brass,
She works the streets of Bootle
And when she sleeps with Jurgen
She thinks of Hasenhuttle.

Great to sing when Liverpool are at the KP!

If you check the match thread, I agreed too.

Iheanacho was poor in the first half. He kept getting the ball stuck in his feet and he slowed us down.

I don't think I'd have made the change for Praet, but the decision to make a change wasn't daft.

Iheanacho was poor in the first half. He kept getting the ball stuck in his feet and he slowed us down.

I don't think I'd have made the change for Praet, but the decision to make a change wasn't daft.
He was terrible in the first half, we can all agree with that. But looking at that bench, the best option was to keep him on the pitch, especially as we were out playing them. We could have afforded to carry him the way we were playing and he has a habit of nicking a goal.even when he's being all Nacho. The decision to make the substitution meant that we had to change our whole approach in the second half and this was totally unnecessary.

To bring on Praet was beyond incompetent.

His touch was awful, but the system was highly effective - particularly the use of Perez

The change screwed the whole thing up and put us onto a defensive back foot for the second half. Rodgers himself said he made the change to cover us defensively, not that the attack wasn’t working due to Nacho’s touch of an elephant. It put us straight under pressure and we lost our control of the game - which then led to the two complete ****ing idiots making a right cods of things

Changed the whole game

Yes, Nacho's touch was letting him down and he gave the ball away on one too many occasions BUT he seems to have the knack of bundling the ball in somehow at the moment. Personally, I'd have stuck with him into the 2nd half.

The thing that baffles me most was why Rodgers felt the need to change anything at all. I mean, we all have opinions as to what changes we'd make (and mine are invariably comical) but there seems to be a consensus amongst us armchair experts that no changes were needed. Certainly, I thought we were doing just fine. I'd have given it another 10 or 15... our maybe that's just hindsight talking. I feel Rodgers was trying to be preemptive, to predict a Bournemouth change, and that puzzles me. We were controlling the match, we weren't top gear but they were pants. The changes Rodgers made invited Bournemouth on, and that's just what they wanted. Bizarre, even after (I think) trying to adjust for hindsight.

Did I imagine it or did Nacho play a key part in the goal?
He most certainly did. He was a bit shite for the rest of the half though but history proves he's just the person you need when the chips are down.

So take him off.

Okay let me rephrase. Ihenacho needed to come off. As I said originally, we don't have anybody to replace him. We probably could have carried him and it might have worked out well. He might have cost us the match, we'll never know. My broader point that you appear to have ignored is that we are woefully light in creative areas at the minute. I think we're missing Ricardo much more than even his biggest fans would have presumed. Justin has been complicit in quite a lot of goals/poor play but as other have mentioned, he was never intended to play this many games. Losing Chilwell is another big blow. For some reason, some have it in their head he's shit, but his absence has highlighted how much came down that side, even if it was just to relieve pressure and didn't lead to a cross/goal.

For their first, I'm still not sure why NDidi was so far back to be hit by the ball, not why Kasper ****ed the kick so badly. Soyuncu lost the plot completely.

Rodgers deserves criticism and I'm sure he's getting it behind the scenes, but talk of sacking him off after a year is preposterous IMO. We never expected to be where we were by Christmas and it feels like we've shit the bed, but if the same results were spread over the season and we got Europa, I'm not sure too many would be complaining. Maybe it's poor management, maybe it's a team largely filled with younger players not coping with the pressure, maybe it's the massive break messing with our players more than others, maybe it's the significant injuries our maybe it's a perfect storm of them all?

For their first, I'm still not sure why NDidi was so far back to be hit by the ball, not why Kasper ****ed the kick so badly.

You've lost me there. It reads like you're suggesting it's Ndidi's fault yet I know you can't be saying that.

I don't really buy the 'we never expected to be where we were' argument either. I mean, I know what's being said but, for me, it suggests we oughtn't be hacked off that we're playing like shit now. Tbh, I can't take any consolation in (supposedly) having overachieved. Our performance lately has been woeful be we 4th, 14th or rock bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757