Rodgers interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided after 3 minutes that the remaining 53 minutes would be just as uninteresting; 53 minutes saved!

Sad that the best Oxford could muster is that milquetoast MC.

Get someone who knows about the pitfalls of his career and ask the difficult questions. Wouldn't it have been good to hear his response to the question "Why did you spend near 3 years in a league dominating trophies that, on reflection, look well beneath your skillset? Was it it to make up for the dramatic failure at Liverpool?"

Sad that the best Oxford could muster is that milquetoast MC.

Get someone who knows about the pitfalls of his career and ask the difficult questions. Wouldn't it have been good to hear his response to the question "Why did you spend near 3 years in a league dominating trophies that, on reflection, look well beneath your skillset? Was it it to make up for the dramatic failure at Liverpool?"
Was it a ’dramatic failure’ at Liverpool or is that hyperbolic horse shit of The Daily Mail type?

Was it a ’dramatic failure’ at Liverpool or is that hyperbolic horse shit of The Daily Mail type?
It was a failure that, at it's conclusion, was fairly dramatic. I mean Gerrard's slip to allow Ba through to score was the height of drama and I feel like the failure to win the title was very much that : a failure..

Are you reading hyperbolic horse shit into my question? Or did you just fancy being a whopper for a bit?

Maybe my hypothetical question should be rephrased "Why did you spend near 3 years in a league dominating trophies that, on reflection, look well beneath your skillset? Was it to make up for, what Popillus considers hyperbolic horse shit, your dramatic failure at Liverpool?"

Maybe my hypothetical question should be rephrased "Why did you spend near 3 years in a league dominating trophies that, on reflection, look well beneath your skillset? Was it to make up for, what Popillus considers hyperbolic horse shit, your dramatic failure at Liverpool?"
Maybe, or instead, you could redefine your definition of ‘dramatic failure’ so that it didn’t include managing a club to a second place finish in the Premier League, with the second highest total of points since the 1987/1988 season? Maybe it shouldn’t describe a manager whose signings include Milner, Gomez, Firmino, all of whom have been instrumental in Liverpool romping to the title this year (the closest they have got since the departure of Rodgers) and their CL success, not to mention Coutinho for £8.5m for him to be sold with a £135m profit.

It may not have been good enough for Liverpool fans but it certainly doesn’t constitute a ‘dramatic failure’ by any standard.

Maybe, or instead, you could redefine your definition of ‘dramatic failure’ so that it didn’t include managing a club to a second place finish in the Premier League, with the second highest total of points since the 1987/1988 season? Maybe it shouldn’t describe a manager whose signings include Milner, Gomez, Firmino, all of whom have been instrumental in Liverpool romping to the title this year (the closest they have got since the departure of Rodgers) and their CL success, not to mention Coutinho for £8.5m for him to be sold with a £135m profit.

It may not have been good enough for Liverpool fans but it certainly doesn’t constitute a ‘dramatic failure’ by any standard.

You're dead right in that respect.

However, in the context of this hypothetical interview, I would be aiming to illicit some response that generated an interesting reply. Asking him about his relative successes at Liverpool set against his plain success in Celtic wouldn't exactly generate a response I'd be looking for.

Again, in the context of this hypothetical interview - looking to generate an interesting response - I'd be hoping an interviewer to manifest some sense of indignation in Rodgers that would provoke a response explaining his career choices.

He's obviously a proud man, and on the face of it it looks like he left England for a period of professional sojourn, to pour oil on troubled waters. In a chance interview, as Oxford have here, and with no professional bridges to burn wouldn't it have been interesting to generate that response. They have no obligation to keep him happy, like the Media, and could have stirred up a personal, rather than prima-facia, response that gave some insight.

The point of my post was to point out that the questions asked were pretty dull and the responses as such. The fact you've taken it upon yourself to defend this line of questioning sort've validates my idea to ask it. It's all hypothetical; you don't need to defend his honour. He did a great job. It was a dramatic conclusion. Asking that question would've generated an interesting response. Thanks for pouring cold water on my post, though. I consider myself chastened.

At no point anywhere have I defended the inanity of this questioning. In fact, I didn’t mention it at all. I was merely suggesting that to get the best out of him in an interview, asking him a question of which the premise is absolute bollocks probably wouldn’t have been any more fruitful than this load of old dog’s dick. If that’s the case then why not be disappointed that he wasn’t asked about Balotelli shitting in his car? It (probably) wasn’t true but it’d make for an interesting response.

At no point anywhere have I defended the inanity of this questioning. In fact, I didn’t mention it at all. I was merely suggesting that to get the best out of him in an interview, asking him a question of which the premise is absolute bollocks probably wouldn’t have been any more fruitful than this load of old dog’s dick. If that’s the case then why not be disappointed that he wasn’t asked about Balotelli shitting in his car? It (probably) wasn’t true but it’d make for an interesting response.

You've lost control here, old boy. I've given a decent reasoned explanation and you've resorted to insults and insanity.

The premise holds up. It was a cataclysmic failure (that slip is iconic, it's still sung about today. It put paid to genuine title hopes) and it resulted in what is perceived as a run to Scotland. I'm not suggesting that Balotelli shat in his car (I do appreciate this archaic TB reference, though, if this is still a thing) nor that would be a fruitful line of questioning.

The real, god's honest reason for my question is that is a largely accepted public perception - his team imploded dramatically and he ran off to Scotland. Maybe the question, hypothetical as though it is, could be reworded a little to reflect this but your response and defense is really OTT in terms of unrest. And, again, I think this would support the asking.

Don't worry. I'm not going to ask him it. If anything I'd ask him the same thing that I asked Chris Powell when I met him.

You've lost control here, old boy. I've given a decent reasoned explanation and you've resorted to insults and insanity.

The premise holds up. It was a cataclysmic failure (that slip is iconic, it's still sung about today. It put paid to genuine title hopes) and it resulted in what is perceived as a run to Scotland. I'm not suggesting that Balotelli shat in his car (I do appreciate this archaic TB reference, though, if this is still a thing) nor that would be a fruitful line of questioning.

The real, god's honest reason for my question is that is a largely accepted public perception - his team imploded dramatically and he ran off to Scotland. Maybe the question, hypothetical as though it is, could be reworded a little to reflect this but your response and defense is really OTT in terms of unrest. And, again, I think this would support the asking.

Don't worry. I'm not going to ask him it. If anything I'd ask him the same thing that I asked Chris Powell when I met him.
Wow. You need a walk or something. Where did I 'insult' you? You are right, it was a slip from a player. How that is a failure from the manager I don't know. He also came back the following season and was dismissed in October so he didn't 'run off' to Scotland regardless of this perception you've invented. Do you see why such a question would have been ultimately nonsensical?

Now, have a little nap and let's put this all to bed. I simply picked you up on referring to Rodgers' time at Liverpool as a 'dramatic failure' that's all. You then had some sort of a breakdown. I would also revisit your definition of 'cataclysmic' as you don't seem to understand what this means, either.

Ketchup is an insult to the chicken.
I'm not having it. A dipper or stripper (although that's just an upmarket dipper) was made for ketchup. Next you'll be telling me I should be dipping my grissini in olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead of Nutella. Bastards.

Hi All,

I'm not sure if anyone's familiar with the Oxford Union, but it's been established for almost 200 years and is a place for open debate and dialogue. The Oxford Union is a legendary venue and has entertained some of the most influential people across all spectrums in the world. I'm a particular believer in freedom of speech and expression and the Oxford Union symbolises this; so to see Brendan being interviewed there, as our manager, makes me very proud!

I think that the interviewer is awful. I'm pretty sure they've chosen her solely because she's female and in order to make a statement that football is a sport for women too (which is an obvious notion to any football fan). It doesn't matter which gender the interviewer is as long as he/she is competent enough to have a good conversation about the topic at hand. One thing's for sure, she's not getting Gabby Logan's job anytime soon. But I digress.

If you've got an hour, have a watch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyZU3Gn8LEo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861