Confirmed Transfer Ryan Bertrand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Experienced left-back Ryan Bertrand has signed for Leicester City Football Club on a two-year deal, keeping him at King Power Stadium until at least 2023.

The 31-year-old joins the Foxes on a free transfer after seven seasons with Southampton, where he made 240 appearances in all competitions.

An England international with 19 caps, Bertrand made his top-flight debut as a Chelsea player, where he would help the team lift the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and Emirates FA Cup.

Speaking to LCFC.com, he said: “I’m really happy to be here; joining Leicester really complemented my inner ambitions and what I still want to achieve in my career.

“Leicester have built something amazing over the years, especially since Brendan Rodgers has come in. It’s fantastic to be a part of this fantastic club and I’m going to give my all to try and do the fans proud.”

Born in Southwark in London, Bertrand joined Gillingham at the age of nine and progressed through their youth system, before signing for Chelsea in 2005.

He spent his first four-and-a-half seasons on loan at AFC Bournemouth, Oldham Athletic, Norwich City, Reading and Nottingham Forest, before making his Premier League debut for Chelsea in April 2011 - a 3-1 win against Birmingham City.

The following campaign, he made 15 appearances for the West London side in all competitions, becoming the first player in the UEFA Champions League era to make his debut in the final. He helped Chelsea to a 4-3 penalty shootout win over Bayern Munich, securing his second major trophy, after the Blues won the FA Cup a week earlier.

In 2012/13, he featured for The Blues 37 times, scoring once, in a season that saw him secure earn a third major title, the UEFA Europa League, after Chelsea beat Benfica 2-1 in Amsterdam - with Bertrand making eight appearances in the run to the final.

Bertrand spent the majority of the 2013/14 campaign on loan at Aston Villa, before a loan spell at Southampton the following year that was made permanent midway through the season.

Including his initial loan spell, he made 240 appearances for The Saints in all competitions, scoring eight goals and was also named in the PFA Team of the Year in 2015.

On the international stage, he has represented England at every youth level from the under-17s and made his senior debut in a friendly against Italy in August 2012. He has 19 caps to his name and was part of the squad for UEFA EURO 2016.

Bertrand now links up with his Leicester City teammates as they prepare for their third full Premier League campaign under manager Brendan Rodgers.

How times change.

Bertrand in 2021: "I'm just really happy to be here. It's a pleasure to be part of this fantastic club."

Bertrand in 2013: "Reading is a better football club than Leicester."

I'm happy with this signing. We do need a blend of experienced pros to complement the kids although we haven't done too well on these types over the last five years. I can only think of Evans since we won the league who has come in at 25+ and done anything of note.

How times change.

Bertrand in 2021: "I'm just really happy to be here. It's a pleasure to be part of this fantastic club."

I'm happy with this signing. We do need a blend of experienced pros to complement the kids although we haven't done too well on these types over the last five years. I can only think of Evans since we won the league who has come in at 25+ and done anything of note.
Huth? Perhaps prior to that a bit though.

How times change.

I remember this. It was hilarious and absurd at the time, so not that much of a change.

I think he's a very good signing, and a 2 year contract is sensible.

We've been short of some experience in the team but even more so in the squad now with Fuchs and Morgan gone.

I suspect he will be ahead of Thomas in the pecking order, and I'm glad we've addressed left back being an issue despite us trying to sign Castagne to play their last summer.

Good signing on a free

I never like a New Signing article that begins with the adjective "Experienced"... However, I'm surprised this one's gone through so quickly under our noses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263