Safe standing to be introduced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure how I feel about this.

I used to love standing at the football. Sitting was something I avoided wherever possible. I hated the introduction of all seater stadiums.

However that was 30 years ago.

The stereotype of young fans standing and older ones sitting down is probably true. I'm not sure I can be arsed with standing now.

The make up of attending fans is much older now than it was when standing was the norm. We've priced out younger fans and generally made it far too hard for them to get into grounds. So I get the feeling that the take up of safe standing will be much lower than we'd expect.

Do you have to be in a specific place? The only benefit I can see is if individual fans can get tickets and congregate together. If they can't do that, meh.
You'll still have an allocated space, the main reason for bringing in seats was to help the police to identify individuals based on their location, that is why the legislation never included anything saying people must sit in their seats (sitting is all part of the ground regulations not law, the legislation only specifies that grounds must be all seater and tickets sold for a specific seat).

I will welcome standing areas if it means that I can avoid areas near twats like the one last night who threw a pint of beer down my back after our first goal.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'll still have an allocated space, the main reason for bringing in seats was to help the police to identify individuals based on their location, that is why the legislation never included anything saying people must sit in their seats (sitting is all part of the ground regulations not law, the legislation only specifies that grounds must be all seater and tickets sold for a specific seat).
Nonsense. Well into the all-seater era, there were clubs who sold tickets on a sit-where-you-like basis. The difficulty this causes is the situation which boaters call 'git gaps' where spaces are left which are not big enough for later arriving boats (or groups of fans). The requirement to sit in your allocated seat came much later than the introduction of all-seater stadiums. The reason for bringing in seats was safety.

I will welcome standing areas if it means that I can avoid areas near tw@s like the one last night who threw a pint of beer down my back after our first goal.
That's not going to happen. You'll still have to stand in your allocated spot. You might want to ask though how somebody was able to take beer away from the concourse and into the seats.

Nonsense. Well into the all-seater era, there were clubs who sold tickets on a sit-where-you-like basis. The difficulty this causes is the situation which boaters call 'git gaps' where spaces are left which are not big enough for later arriving boats (or groups of fans). The requirement to sit in your allocated seat came much later than the introduction of all-seater stadiums. The reason for bringing in seats was safety.

That's not going to happen. You'll still have to stand in your allocated spot. You might want to ask though how somebody was able to take beer away from the concourse and into the seats.
On the first part I am reliably informed by my learned friend that I have not remembered correctly timings, the regulation about allocated seating was a later addition to help with policing and crowd control. LJ Taylor expected that seats would lead to people wanting to sit and a more civilised atmosphere at games.

On the second point I am hoping that the type of person who evades the (frankly awful) stewarding at Millwall will choose a safe standing area so I will be safe from a beer shower in the seats.

Amendments to the Football Spectators Act have been agreed in Parliament today. Premier League and Championship clubs can now apply to be allowed to introduce Safe Standing areas from the start of the new season. Brentford, QPR and Wolves join the five teams who were involved in last season's trial; others expected to follow.

I hope we're getting onboard with this (hopefully effects the conversation elsewhere on this board right now about availability of tickets and the age profile of ticket holders in a positive fashion too!)

I hope we're getting onboard with this (hopefully effects the conversation elsewhere on this board right now about availability of tickets and the age profile of ticket holders in a positive fashion too!)
Leicester chief executive was massively against it and makes stuff up about regulations around standing and the Taylor report, I wouldn't expect the club to do it unless there is some commercial benefit

Leicester have always been uninterested in this.

Surprise surprise

This is all really disappointing, at the very least the stadium expansion should take this into account. What can us lowly fans do though?

This is all really disappointing, at the very least the stadium expansion should take this into account. What can us lowly fans do though?
Do what those who persuaded the club to introduce a 'singing section' did?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372
6Norwich City4371
7Hull City4265
8Coventry City4263