Salaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

A regular point on here is that our performances are punching below our weight compared to our salary outlay.

So thought I’d post this from the paper, from the “Global Sports Salaries survey”. No idea how they got the data or how reliable it is. Interesting to see that Spurs are so far adrift from the top 5, and how Cardiff are adrift at the bottom. We’re mid-table, which pretty much sums us up as a club at the moment.

d95b3369ac183a4691bd13949d791694.jpg

I saw something the other day that said our wage bill is the seventh highest. That's the total cost though, rather than average per player.

Had meant to mention that point actually. Suggests our strength in depth should be better than Palace etc. Or that we have too many players.

Makes you wonder if CP under pressure (Rudkin?) to reduce wage bill. Apart from a few untouchables (Vardy, Kasper, Morgan as club captain) it seems that the big earners Musa, Slimani (reportedly on 60k+ pw) out, many of the legends either on big money (shinji 60K) or others possibly on loyalty bonuses etc (King, Simpson Albrighton etc) being marginalised in favour of younger players? Add to that the likes of Silva, Ibhorra who would not have come for peanuts also side lined. I know some of the younger talent have recently been offered long term contracts on good wages and we needed a clear out of some dead wood to make way for possible future signings . Pure conjecture and it could just be his (CP) desire to get rid of anyone who has links to the past to make it "his" team but it does make you think.

We've spent too much money on too many players. I'd rather we spent £50m on one player than on three players in total. Then pay top dollar salaries for top players.

We could lose ten players from the squad and not be any weaker.

Which player worth £50 million would come to Leicester?

Plenty if we paid them enough. We could double the salaries of good La Liga players.

Our problem is signing players from the likes of Sevilla's reserves rather than their best ones.

We've spent too much money on too many players. I'd rather we spent £50m on one player than on three players in total. Then pay top dollar salaries for top players.

We could lose ten players from the squad and not be any weaker.
I remember the club paying top dollar at the time for Ade Akinbiyi.

For example?

I'm not superscout.

I think we have a signing policy that is out of date to what we now need. Signing young players or 'off the radar' players isn't what will make our team stronger. We want to look at second level clubs, just behind the best ones in the top leagues, and pick off their best players.

I mentioned Sevilla because we signed Iborra from them who was a back up player for them at the time. We should be signing their best players, not their back up ones. We could double or treble their wages, and offer them the profile of a Premier League team. It's the only realistic way to make us stronger.

We also sign too many players and sell too few. We should add three quality players each summer rather than our scatter gun six or seven. We have the best part of 30 senior players and we should have 2o.

For example?
I wouldn't bother tugging at that thread. Every time someone comes out with more baloney about us buying £50m+ players they can never back up this with any tangible examples. There's a grand total of zero players currently valued at £50m that would give our club a second or even third glance. It's unfortunate and it's sad but it's absolutely true.

I am not defending our hideous recruitment of late but we can't fix this by hoping to attract some of the world's best players here. That's not going to happen.

I wouldn't bother tugging at that thread. Every time someone comes out with more baloney about us buying £50m+ players they can never back up this with any tangible examples. There's a grand total of zero players currently valued at £50m that would give our club a second or even third glance. It's unfortunate and it's sad but it's absolutely true.

I am not defending our hideous recruitment of late but we can't fix this by hoping to attract some of the world's best players here. That's not going to happen.

Man City did it. What's the difference?

A regular point on here is that our performances are punching below our weight compared to our salary outlay.

So thought I’d post this from the paper, from the “Global Sports Salaries survey”. No idea how they got the data or how reliable it is. Interesting to see that Spurs are so far adrift from the top 5, and how Cardiff are adrift at the bottom. We’re mid-table, which pretty much sums us up as a club at the moment.

d95b3369ac183a4691bd13949d791694.jpg

Uncanny how closely it resembles the league table. Or is it no coincidence and a clear indication that you have to spend big if you want to achieve anything?

Uncanny how closely it resembles the league table.

Except that Man United are the top spenders, but 7th in the League

Bournemouth and Watford are just behind them in the League in 8th and 9th, but bottom half in ths list

Then West Ham and Palace are 8th and 9th in this list, but 14th and 16th in the actual League

And then Fulham are rock bottom of the League but 6th from bottom here

Plus a couple of others

Apart from that, it's quite uncanny

We have not been signing top class players. We have signed some good players and made them top class - Vardy, Mahrez, Maguire, Kante. There is a point at which sports people need to prove themselves - to be the best. They want glory. In football terms that means Champions League. That is why Mahrez wanted to go to Man City and Kante to Chelsea,

It is why great boxers, tennis players and golfers go on long after they have all the money they could spend. It is not just sports men. Frank Sinatra was asked why he had made a comeback. He said that a telephone receptionist had asked his name and then said "How do you spell that?"

A 17th century football pundit called John Milton put it best -
Fame is the spur
That last infirmity of noble mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Ipswich4389
2Leicester4288
3Leeds Utd4387
4Southampton4284
5West Brom4372