Confirmed Transfer Sam Hughes to Burton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Burton Albion have completed the permanent signing of Leicester City Development Squad defender Sam Hughes for an undisclosed fee, subject to Football League approval.

Hughes, who joined Burton for a second loan spell during the summer, will now join the League One side on a permanent basis after five years with the Foxes.

The 24-year-old joined City in 2017 from Chester and went on to enjoy loan spells with Salford City and Burton Albion during his time with the Football Club.

Everybody at Leicester City wishes Sam all the very best in his future career with the Brewers.

He's spent a lot of time injured. He's only just come back after missing the whole of last year.

I hope there's a sell on clause, I think he'll end up playing at a higher level than Burton, if he stays fit long enough.
SURELY NOT

Seams strange that if he's now fit we didn't give him a chance in our 1st team it's not like he would be worse than Vestergaard, a wardrobe on castors would be better than Vestergaard.

Seams strange that if he's now fit we didn't give him a chance in our 1st team it's not like he would be worse than Vestergaard, a wardrobe on castors would be better than Vestergaard.

I know he's been shite for us this season. But you don't play 300 games for good top level clubs in two countries and get over thirty caps for Denmark before you're thirty if you've got nothing to offer.

We've messed up by buying someone with a clear skill set and then horribly exposing him by asking him to do things completely differently.

I don't blame Vestergaard at all for that. It's becoming an issue more generally that we are signing too many players that don't fit what we need. It's got to the stage when I'm relieved if we don't sign anyone because the chances are that it won't work.

I know he's been shite for us this season. But you don't play 300 games for good top level clubs in two countries and get over thirty caps for Denmark before you're thirty if you've got nothing to offer.

We've messed up by buying someone with a clear skill set and then horribly exposing him by asking him to do things completely differently.

I don't blame Vestergaard at all for that. It's becoming an issue more generally that we are signing too many players that don't fit what we need. It's got to the stage when I'm relieved if we don't sign anyone because the chances are that it won't work.
This is spot on. In the right system he's an excellent player as he's already shown at Southampton and on the international stage.

He doesn't fit us and no due dilligence on the way he plays was done before his signing. That's not his fault.

Being a shite signing and a shite player are far from being mutually exclusive.

Any player at this level should be able to adapt their game to more than one system, especially one who is in their peak playing years.

On top of that, he can't run and he can barely jump which are basic fundamentals of a CB at any level and a change of system is going to make him any faster or any better at jumping.

He has got pretty decent distribution, I'll give him that, but that is literally the only positive I can see in him.

On paper, he should be a great 3rd CB to play in the middle of two smaller, faster CBs.

On grass though, he is pretty shite.

Being a shite signing and a shite player are far from being mutually exclusive.
Correct.

However, having been excellent at both PL level and international level, he's clearly not a shite player. Anyone watching him at Southampton last year or during the Euros would have been very pleased with this signing.

He's being asked to be a square peg and to crowbar himself into a round hole.

Correct.

However, having been excellent at both PL level and international level, he's clearly not a shite player. Anyone watching him at Southampton last year or during the Euros would have been very pleased with this signing.

He's being asked to be a square peg and to crowbar himself into a round hole.

What the **** is this, seriously?

He’s been complete horseshit from day one

This square peg stuff is bollocks. He can’t tackle, he can’t pass, he can’t even ****ing head the ball. Plus he’s got the turning circle of a ****ing wardrobe.

He’s being asked to defend. He ****ing can’t

Shit is, as shit does

What the **** is this, seriously?

He’s been complete horseshit from day one

This square peg stuff is bollocks. He can’t tackle, he can’t pass, he can’t even ****ing head the ball. Plus he’s got the turning circle of a ****ing wardrobe.

He’s being asked to defend. He ****ing can’t

Shit is, as shit does
I'm not saying he has been anything other than rubbish for us in most games, not all but most. I'm also not saying that he will come good. He probably won't. He wasn't the right signing for us.

Having said all of that, just watch some of his games from last season and from the Euros. He was excellent. This complete bollocks about him being 'the worst signing ever' is just garbage.

Unfortunately, because he is being asked to push higher up at times and to piss around aimlessly with the ball at the back, he's making stupid errors as well as not being able to do what is asked of him. This is probably why we've seen a perfectly capable defender like Soyuncu turn into a quivering mess of a jelly this season as well. Even Evans when he has been fit, looked like he'd forgotten how to play football never mind defend.

Our whole approach to defending is ****ing hideous and all of them look like complete duffers. That begs a question of the coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4597
2Leeds Utd4590
3Ipswich4490
4Southampton4584
5Norwich City4573
6West Brom4572
7Hull City4570
8Middlesbro4566