Scarborough's Rate and Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been through my DVD collection and found a film I brought a couple of years ago that I haven't seen since I got it: City Of God. Has anyone seen it? Quality film, it's set in Brazil in Rio's slums and tells the story of how gangs have operated since the sixties. As I say this film is class and you must watch it, even if it is in subtitles.

Speaking of foreign films, has anyone here seen 'Das Experiment', that is a German film based on that experiment they did in the USA with people pretending to be prisoners and other people pretending to be prison guards. It was obviously with subtitles, but it was still one of the best films I've ever seen, I'd say 9/10.

Speaking of foreign films, has anyone here seen 'Das Experiment', that is a German film based on that experiment they did in the USA with people pretending to be prisoners and other people pretending to be prison guards. It was obviously with subtitles, but it was still one of the best films I've ever seen, I'd say 9/10.

One of the best foreign films i've seen is the orginal dutch film of "The Vanishing".

Truly brilliant, ruined by Hollywood.

Miami Vice - AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

You Me & Dupree. 6.5 out of 10, not a bad film - had some laugh out loud moments but wasn't quite there consistantly. Had to choose between this and Wicker man, anyone seen that?

You Me & Dupree. 6.5 out of 10, not a bad film - had some laugh out loud moments but wasn't quite there consistantly. Had to choose between this and Wicker man, anyone seen that?

Was going to post the exact same thing!!!!!!!!

Watching Wicker Man midweek instead.

I'm going to watch Little Man at some point as well. Saw the trailer, it looks hilarious. :icon_lol:

I'm going to watch Little Man at some point as well. Saw the trailer, it looks hilarious. :icon_lol:

Its been absolutely ripped apart by reviews.

I giggled at the Mercurys and I was laughing out loud on Johnny Vaughan's review in The Sun. The Guardian although more timid did exactly the same.

Why give the Wayans Brothers more money to make more shit like Scary Movie, Little Man, White Chicks.

'The Vatican is supposed to have induced Galileo to renounce his subversive views about the Earth going round the sun by showing him the instruments of torture. They could have got him to say that the Earth is cubic or banana-shaped just by holding up a DVD copy of Little Man. This is the horrifying new non-comedy from the Wayans brothers, in which Marlon Wayans plays a midget, pretending to be a baby, for reasons that I cannot bear to explain. Mere words, mere permutations of 26 paltry letters, are an inadequate resource for explaining how fatuous, unfunny, and profoundly un-entertaining it is to watch Marlon Wayans doing a goo-goo-ga fake-baby routine. It's infantile. And not in a good way'

from Peter Bradshaw, The Guardian

Much urination, farting, defecation, breast fondling, penis displaying, lechery, homophobic joking and painful mayhem ensues, in which every missile flies with the accuracy of an Exocet to the nearest groin. Raucously rabble-rousing, yes; uproariously Rabelaisian, no.

from Philip French, The Observer

I saw the trailer to this last night. What did you see that made you want to see it?, it looks like a film by numpties, for numpties.

Been through my DVD collection and found a film I brought a couple of years ago that I haven't seen since I got it: City Of God. Has anyone seen it? Quality film, it's set in Brazil in Rio's slums and tells the story of how gangs have operated since the sixties. As I say this film is class and you must watch it, even if it is in subtitles.

The guy that directed City of God also made The Constant Gardener which I saw at the weekend and is also a fantastic film.

Anyone who likes intelligent films should watch this British film cause its awesome.

4.5/5 :038: :038:

The guy that directed City of God also made The Constant Gardener which I saw at the weekend and is also a fantastic film.

Anyone who likes intelligent films should watch this British film cause its awesome.

4.5/5 :038: :038:

Cracking film...great ending aswell...one criticism is why not throw a parting shot at the crap African governments instead of a medical company (I cant be bothered to write phar....)

Finally got round to watching wedding crashers last night.
Great laugh.
7/10

Last edited:
I enjoyed You, Me and Dupree. If you take it for what it is it's good entertainment. Some very funny moments too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Liverpool615
2Manchester C  614
3Arsenal614
4Chelsea613
5Aston Villa613
6Fulham611
7Newcastle611
8Brighton69
9Nottm F69