Selling old car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe_Fox

Hi you lot.

Well, the Merc is going very well but now I have the problem of getting rid of the Fiesta.

It's got no tax or MOT but is a good runner - just needs a new exhaust and a spot of welding to get it through an MOT.

What is the best thing to do with old cars you don't want? Is it dodgy selling it to one of those places that say "We will buy your old car".

Hi you lot.

Well, the Merc is going very well but now I have the problem of getting rid of the Fiesta.

It's got no tax or MOT but is a good runner - just needs a new exhaust and a spot of welding to get it through an MOT.

What is the best thing to do with old cars you don't want? Is it dodgy selling it to one of those places that say "We will buy your old car".

if you read on it says "we will buy your old car if you spend a small fortune buying a new one from us"

All I'm concerned with is selling it to some gypo's who will just smash it up and dump it and not do the registration thing.

If it's SORN, how can I sort the tax out?? Very confusing it all seems.

All I'm concerned with is selling it to some gypo's who will just smash it up and dump it and not do the registration thing.

If it's SORN, how can I sort the tax out?? Very confusing it all seems.

Just take it to the scrap yard joe, you might get £20 for it, they might take £20 off you, but the car will be gone

s'pose - I reckon someone in the know could do it up and it'd be fine though.

Also, if I sell the car and do the paper work and then the car is crashed, who is responsible?

Scrap it as it would cost you more to do it up than you would get for it. Do the math...............s Joe.

Last edited:
What reg is it Joe?

If space isn't an issue then you could strip it down and sell it for parts, bit of a hassle but you could get quite a good return from it, then when you are done you can take it to the scrap yard. TBH from the sounds of it, it sounds like it is ready for the scrapies and no1 would buy it as it is.

If you did sell it, then it is your responsibility to send off the registration documents for re-registering the ownership, but obviously get the new owner to fill in their section(s) and give them their 'receipt' bit from it, I think it is section number 10 on the form.

Last edited:
Just take it to the scrap yard joe, you might get £20 for it, they might take £20 off you, but the car will be gone

Our local ''car salvage yard'' pays £45 for a car. Take it to a proper scrap yard and you'll normally get more, but you have to take the wheels off ... don't ask, I've never worked it out !

Failing that, stick it on ebay, spares or repair. You might get a ton for it that way.

Our local ''car salvage yard'' pays £45 for a car. Take it to a proper scrap yard and you'll normally get more, but you have to take the wheels off ... don't ask, I've never worked it out !

Failing that, stick it on ebay, spares or repair. You might get a ton for it that way.

They have to pay to dispose of the tyres nowadays.

I reckon you best bet may well be the spares or repairs bit of the local rag or as trifull suggested ebay. Someone will buy it off you, as has been suggested also you send off the majority of the paperwork when buying the car, also when you sell the car make sure you give the person a dated receipt and keep a copy of that for yourself, comes in handy when the police turn up at you parents house saying you have fled he scene of accident in coventry after getting a parking ticket in a town you have never even visited.

Thanks, finally some good advice. Some guy from a scrapyard in Rochdale is coming over on Friday to pick it up and give me £25. Can't be bothered with all the ebay hassle to be honest and this way at least I know it'll be scrapped properly. Wouldn't really want anyone else driving it after me any way!

Hi you lot.

Do you still have insurance on it?

You could just steal it & have it found burnt out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

P Pld Pts
1Manchester C  412
2Arsenal410
3Newcastle410
4Liverpool49
5Aston Villa49
6Brighton48
7Nottm F48
8Chelsea47
9Brentford46