Shinji

Status
Not open for further replies.

glyn

The mention in the match thread made me think that this hasn’t been posted anywhere (IIRC).

Interesting to hear how dissatisfied he’s been with being tagged as the link player or the fifth midfielder. But really he never ever looked as if he could hold his own as an all out PL striker

Anyway I also thought it was worth a thread to celebrate his little face, and his contribution to THAT season. He was so critical to the way we played. And didn’t score many but some were pretty crucial, e.g West Ham in the second game and the winner against Newcastle.

The mention in the match thread made me think that this hasn’t been posted anywhere (IIRC).

Interesting to hear how dissatisfied he’s been with being tagged as the link player or the fifth midfielder. But really he never ever looked as if he could hold his own as an all out PL striker

Anyway I also thought it was worth a thread to celebrate his little face, and his contribution to THAT season. He was so critical to the way we played. And didn’t score many but some were pretty crucial, e.g West Ham in the second game and the winner against Newcastle.
Away at Everton, too.

2015/16 he was wonderful. Everyone loved his application and attitude. The inability of opposition sides to pick him up or know how to deal with him was one of the Ranieri masterstrokes that season.

For the last 18 months though, he's been consistently dreadful every time he's been on the pitch. Stealing a living based on his past exploits. He doesn't even run about much when he comes on. And then there are the constant falls to the ground that are really annoying.

I'll always love the guy, but he long ago dropped his levels below those that should be the minimum expectation. And four successive managers have not got a trick from him.

Assuming we can’t qualify for Europe, bring him on for last half an hour Sunday and let Madders win him a penalty to end that awful stat on how long he’s played since scoring.

He'll get his cameo next Sunday (if the match allows, which it should)

Shinji has earned a proper send off. An essential part of the dream, I wish him all the best.

I’ve never seen a player like him, totally unconventional, a genius in terms of his tactical awareness and ‘gamesmanship’ (cheating). In no way graceful, totally frustrating and capable of making the simplest of tap ins look difficult.... I’ve never rooted for a player quite so much. There will never be another Shinji Okazaki. Plus he’s got calf muscles so big they make me feel slightly queasy.

Come to Granada if you need a change of scene Shinji, we need a striker. And some smiles :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757