Should large release clauses be in for a Manager ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding having a clause in his own contract that would allow him to leave:

"Listen, there are probably clauses in most managers' contracts. It's all hypothetical. I've been very fortunate to work with some brilliant clubs and great institutions. The ambition was to help the club to arrive in the top six."

As BN said elsewhere this was always a stepping stone. I’m sure his words are intended to make sure he’s not made to eat them in the future.

It would just be devastating for it to happen so soon. almost as bad as when Megson left us so soon, but not quite.

I can see a “come back in the summer” narrative unfolding, but I suppose Celtic though the same and Brendan now has the experience of taking advantage of the back end of a season to gain momentum for the next.

Incidentally would be nice for certain sections of the media to perhaps consider that our owners haven’t after all been too hasty in their decisions, particularly in regards to Puel.

Brendan has proved what this squad could achieve, and why we were all frustrated at the progress being made.

If you asked your wife whether she was having an affair, and she said, ‘it’s all hypothetical, I am lucky enough to have had lots of relationships, the ambition was to be married’, you’d be a bit concerned :icon lol:

Won't post it again but if he even thinks of leaving this early then all respect goes out of the window.

He actually runs the risk of painting an unenviable reputation for himself.

Taking this team and concreting it as better than the Arsenal would be his biggest achievement.

Leaving us to go to them would be his lowest.

John Percy, say no more....

God this pisses me off. He's clearly trying to keep his options open. If he was committed to us, he'd say so. Instead he dances around the subject and behaves like a ****ing prick tease. For what it's worth, I don't think he'll go to Arsenal, but I think it's clear he sees us as a stepping stone and it's just a matter of time.
I suppose I should be used to this by now, but when we get success like this, I just want to see it continue but if and when he goes, we'll be looking for a miracle (Ranieri/Rodgers) again which just won't happen more than 3 (4 if you count MON) times in my life time.

Apparently his interview on 5-live was a lot more reassuring.

I wasn’t that reassured. He went with the ‘hypothetical’ response again until directly asked if he was staying with us, to which be gave a very sheepish ‘yes’. I’m unconvinced. He’s happy ‘as he speaks now’.

If they come in with an offer, he’s off.

Takes me back to the 90s all this.

We had Little walk out on us "to better himself". A year later, McGhee walked out on us "to better himself". Then after two years of teasing and being non-committal, MON walked "to better himself".

BR will do the same. It's just a matter of when. It might be tomorrow, it might be in another year. But one thing that is absolutely certain is that he'll move on "to better himself" one day.

The absolutel vital thing for us is to have a back up plan in place. We can't be shafted by not having a clue what to do when the inevitable happens.

We had Little walk out on us "to better himself". A year later, McGhee walked out on us "to better himself". Then after two years of teasing and being non-committal, MON walked "to better himself".

BR will do the same. It's just a matter of when. It might be tomorrow, it might be in another year. But one thing that is absolutely certain is that he'll move on "to better himself" one day.

The absolutel vital thing for us is to have a back up plan in place. We can't be shafted by not having a clue what to do when the inevitable happens.

We should already have a shortlist. There should always be one ready to go.

Like you, I’m reminded very much of the Brian Little and Mark McGhee situations. I suppose it’s a sign of progress that a manager bettering oneself now means going to Arsenal, rather than Villa or Wolves.

Nige will always be there for us, BN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758