Should large release clauses be in for a Manager ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going nowhere.

‘’
My focus is very much here with Leicester,” he said. “The club has been first class with me. The project feels very exciting with a lot of development ahead.

“Yeah, I’m very much [here to stay]. I left a club eight and a half months ago and that was a change I made to come to a club with ambition. And it is a huge challenge here to break into the top six. I’ve loved every minute since I’ve come here. We’ve got work to do but I’m excited.’’

As BN said elsewhere this was always a stepping stone. I’m sure his words are intended to make sure he’s not made to eat them in the future.

It would just be devastating for it to happen so soon. almost as bad as when Megson left us so soon, but not quite.

I can see a “come back in the summer” narrative unfolding, but I suppose Celtic though the same and Brendan now has the experience of taking advantage of the back end of a season to gain momentum for the next.

How was Megson leaving us a bad thing? His appointment, and the football we played under him, was utter shit.

Hopefully a new improved, longer contract is being drawn up as we speak. He's very clearly worth it, and it's the only way to price the other suitors out

How was Megson leaving us a bad thing? His appointment, and the football we played under him, was utter shit.

I wasn’t being entirely serious. I thought the part where I suggested Brendan leaving wouldn’t be quite as bad as when Megson left would have made that clear....

I've always thought that if Megson had stayed Leicester wouldn't have been relegated that season. However, to be honest, that proved to be a blessing in disguise the way things eventually panned out.

Can't stand Chris Sutton. Seems to have a real hatred of Leicester based off nothing in particular. End of the day money talks and I don't doubt Brendan like many players will follow the money. If they double or triple his earnings and pay the reported release clause he'll be off. If he does I hope we go for Pochettino. Had Spurs playing some great stuff and improved them in his time in charge....

Can't stand Chris Sutton. Seems to have a real hatred of Leicester based off nothing in particular. End of the day money talks and I don't doubt Brendan like many players will follow the money. If they double or triple his earnings and pay the reported release clause he'll be off. If he does I hope we go for Pochettino. Had Spurs playing some great stuff and improved them in his time in charge....
Cue the BN meltdown

For the record... I also would not want Poch

From David Ornstein in The Athletic:

“Links between Arsenal and Brendan Rodgers persist, too. Sources are aware of his desire to at some stage lead one of the so-called ‘top six’ clubs again following his spell with Liverpool, but The Athletic has been told he will not be leaving Leicester City — currently riding high in second place in the Premier League — for now.
While Arsenal did consider Rodgers in 2018, the then-Celtic boss was not interviewed because of doubts over whether his personality and stature were right for them at that moment in time. It is thought the Northern Irishman is back in their thoughts and that tentative enquiries have been made, only for a clear message to be relayed that Rodgers is happy and going nowhere.”

From David Ornstein in The Athletic:

“Links between Arsenal and Brendan Rodgers persist, too. Sources are aware of his desire to at some stage lead one of the so-called ‘top six’ clubs again following his spell with Liverpool, but The Athletic has been told he will not be leaving Leicester City — currently riding high in second place in the Premier League — for now.
While Arsenal did consider Rodgers in 2018, the then-Celtic boss was not interviewed because of doubts over whether his personality and stature were right for them at that moment in time. It is thought the Northern Irishman is back in their thoughts and that tentative enquiries have been made, only for a clear message to be relayed that Rodgers is happy and going nowhere.”

That's excellent news. Ornstein knows what's happening at Arsenal as well as anyone.

That's excellent news. Ornstein knows what's happening at Arsenal as well as anyone.
Yes he seems to know his onions, that’s why I thought it was worth posting.

He also says that Arsenal don’t want to pay a large release fee, which would rule Rodgers out. He’s suggesting they’re looking at out of work managers, or people like Arteta.

Yes he seems to know his onions, that’s why I thought it was worth posting.

He also says that Arsenal don’t want to pay a large release fee, which would rule Rodgers out. He’s suggesting they’re looking at out of work managers, or people like Arteta.

It did make me laugh last night when I got back to my car and put the radio on, the first thing I heard was Ljungberg saying ‘...playing the Arsenal way’

I hope he wins his next couple of games and they give him a deal until the end of the season. That would be great news for us.

It did make me laugh last night when I got back to my car and put the radio on, the first thing I heard was Ljungberg saying ‘...playing the Arsenal way’

I hope he wins his next couple of games and they give him a deal until the end of the season. That would be great news for us.

Alan Smith was full of praise for the improved arsenal. Some really odd shit.

Good... Good. This is how it starts.

Before you know it they’ll be starting a 17 French kid who reminds Freddie of a prime Thierry Henry and losing routine home games.

Last edited:
Is this the same Arsenal that absolutely shit their pants whenever Teemu Pukki ran at the yesterday and got a jammy penalty retake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leeds Utd3882
2Leicester3782
3Ipswich3881
4Southampton3673
5West Brom3866
6Norwich City3861
7Hull City3758
8Coventry City3757