Should the Big6 be renamed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barnacle

To include Leicester? Obviously, we're all city fans so we agree lol anyone disagree?

Our standing.
Club status - Tick. An average position of 7th over 6 seasons since we got promoted. Looking consistent regards European qualification.
Club support - Tick-ish (in comparison to the others). Plans in place to increase stadium capacity.
Club staff - Tick. One of the best managers in the game, many international players, at least half a dozen CL quality.
Club wealth - We have rich owners but we don't spend big.
Club history - Nowhere near the trophies of the big6, but is history going back decades qualify you as much as current status, no.

I think our support size lets us down in the media. They always mention Newcastle and now West Ham, but they don't do it on the pitch.
We are clearly better adapted now, than Arsenal and Tottenham, though that can change.
Are Man city Liverpool (injuries aside) and Man Utd a Big3?

With regards to improving the size of the fanbase perhaps renaming the club to something like ‘Megalodon Rovers’ Or ‘Tits & Beer Albion’ would help.

I’d rename the top 6 to ‘Yvonne’

I think it should be called 'The Keith Club'

As far as I'm concerned the "Big 6" is a reference to the sense of entitlement, why would LCFC want to be clumped with that lot?

The history of this seems to be the original "Big 5", involved in the setting up of the PL in 1992. Of the five (Liverpool, Everton, Man U, Tottingham and Arsenal), only the Mancs actually finished in the top 5 in the inaugural season, and of course three of them hadn't managed even one title win before City's in 2016.

This sort of chart is why they're called the 'big six'. It's purely driven by revenue which then enables wages and transfer fees. And that should lead to trophies - but obviously that relies upon a level of competence often gladly not found.

Off the pitch, we're competing with the likes of Everton, West Ham, Newcastle, Leeds and Wolves. That's our level. We are currently doing exceptionally well in that world, considering several of those clubs have much better histories than we do and bigger support bases.

On the pitch, to our great credit, we're competing with the 'big six'. Our results exceed logic. But we're not a part of that group and we're highly unlikely to ever be part of it. We're just not big enough to sustain ourselves there.

As we've seen every summer, the big clubs directly pick off our better players (in their opinion) partly to improve themselves and partly in an attempt to keep us from getting too good. Cleverly, we've discovered a technique whereby they buy someone from us that we replace with 2-3 better players. This is enabling us to hang in there. But it cannot and will not last forever. We can never be there long term so we should just enjoy the ride for as long as we can.
1613563102287.png

As far as I'm concerned the "Big 6" is a reference to the sense of entitlement, why would LCFC want to be clumped with that lot?

The history of this seems to be the original "Big 5", involved in the setting up of the PL in 1992. Of the five (Liverpool, Everton, Man U, Tottingham and Arsenal), only the Mancs actually finished in the top 5 in the inaugural season, and of course three of them hadn't managed even one title win before City's in 2016.
I wasn't looking at it that way but you have made a good point. My reasoning for us being part of it is that we moan quite a lot that however good we become we're never spoken about in regards to our status. Chelsea sack Frank after they lose 2-0 away at Leicester, yet that result is perfectly reasonable. It should be, hes sacked for loosing at home to West Brom. Leicester beat Liverpool 3-1, but it wasn't that Leicester were clearly the better team, it was that Liverpool made errors and had injuries and in poor form. This goes on and on, but if we were considering part of the big boys, this wouldn't happen. Ole gonna besoshit didn't get sacked loosing 6-1 at home to spurs.

I think, our current status should at least allow us to believe we can be an elite English club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Championship

P Pld Pts
1Leicester4494
2Leeds Utd4490
3Ipswich4389
4Southampton4484
5West Brom4472
6Norwich City4472
7Hull City4469
8Coventry City4363